The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Fading Out a Loop

One of the things I hate about my loop pedal (RC-3) is that when you stop it, it instantly stops. Yes, I know that's what it's supposed to do! But it doesn't seem natural at the end of a song. As in some songs you want it to fade out. I recently read about the EHX 720, which has an option to fade out, which I would love. "But" I also like to start and stop my loop while playing. So if you were to do that with EHX 720 every time you stop it would fade. That's not what I want either. I was wondering if anyone uses a volume pedal at the end of there signal chain to fade out their loops? About the only way I can think of to make it work with a fade. Then go back and kill your looper while the volume was down. Ideas?
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone

Last edited by Revy; 01-09-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 PM

Volume pedal after the looper?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Volume Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinandTwang View Post
Volume pedal after the looper?
Yes, at the end of the signal chain before amplification. When you're done playing and your loop is running just roll the volume down and fade it out.
2004 Martin J-15
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Yes, at the end of the signal chain before amplification. When you're done playing and your loop is running just roll the volume down and fade it out.
That would also allow you to set the volume of the loop dynamically. It is my observation that loop rigs are among some of the most personalized rigs out there. There's no reason you couldn't experiment with it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Ideas?
Hi R

Play along with the loop, and begin playing in unison with it, then when the looper stops…DON'T STOP PLAYING.

That will drop the volume naturally…then just continue playing an ending without the looper involved.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 AM

'Fade out' endings don't work well in live shows. Reminds me of the old American Bandstand tv show where the bands would be lipsynching and as the song faded they'd all be looking at each other wondering what to do. Fade-outs were used on single 'hits' a lot to cut down the length of them, where the band might have continued on for another minute
LJ's idea above is the best one.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Some loopers have a fade-out function, which can be handy. I agree, a full fade is pretty weird live, but you can also combine it with Larry's technique, play in unison with loop, start the fade and keep playing. Fade a bit, then kill the loop. That will make the drop in volume (maybe) a bit less obvious. May not work everywhere, but it's one more trick to have up your sleeve as long as you have a looper that can fade out.

BTW, I do several examples of stopping a loop, while hopefully creating a somewhat natural ending by continuing to play in real time as the loop ends in the article I did for AG on looping recently: (Also, for those interested in ToneDexter, it got some use in this video as well)

http://acousticguitar.com/a-guide-to...w-to-use-them/
Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi folks…
I enjoy looper conversations…

I rarely fade songs in studio, and even less live. It feels artificial to me when I'm in the audience. It's a radio or recording tool, but it doesn't seem to mesh well with live performance (awkward).

There are a lot of ways to use loopers. I seldom start the loop at the beginning of a song and leave it engaged, or playing back, till the end of a song…

It's more typical that I may capture the loop of a verse right off the bat when accompanying a singer, and I stop the 'recording' as I'm continuing to back them (I use a 2 pedal looper specifically for this capability), and then after the bridge or at another logical point, I use that loop to provide backing guitar while I solo over it.

Then I end the loop and continue accompanying the singer to the end of the song. I want the loop to be pretty invisible.

I have done a lot of experimenting with loops and know (from experience) there is a point that looping is generally more fun for the player than the audience.

One of my main uses for it is if I'm playing in a new venue, I'll drop the looper into the chain right after my preamp, record about 2 minutes of several styles of music, then turn the looper loose while I go out into the room and talk with the sound-tech about volume, tone and mix while we are hearing the actual guitar playing through their system.

It's better than having someone else play my guitar while I go out into the house and listen. I remove it before the show.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Loop Fade

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. Great playing Doug and a fantastic video and article! Very informative!

I'm a single player so I have to be the rhythm, percussion, vocals, etc. I don't do a lot of soloing mainly because my soloing abilities are limited (but I'm working on it!). Singing has been my forte and to add something to my show I play most of my lead or melody breaks on harmonica. So my main use for a looper is timing. What I was trying to accomplish was to stop my guitar playing and gently have the rhythm track fade out, not so much for guitar parts to fade out. But I have songs that I start and stop my percussion tracks during the song. That's where the problem lies. Never seen a looper you could fade and also completely stop. Like when you stop playing a guitar the sustain of the guitar gives it a natural fade. When you stomp a looper there's no sustain ringing out, it's just an abrupt stop. It never sounded natural to me. I'll do some more experimenting and see what I can come up with.

Thank you everyone!
2004 Martin J-15
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 01-12-2018, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
. Never seen a looper you could fade and also completely stop.
Thanks, glad my demo was useful.

The Boomerang III can fade and stop - separate buttons, or just let it fade to zero. I think the Boss RC-300 can as well. Here's an interesting video of the pigtronix showing various ways of stopping:

https://pigtronix.com/infinity/

I believe the pigtronics also supports an expression pedal that can control volume. For that matter, you could just put a volume pedal after any looper and control the fade yourself.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Fading a Loop

That Infinity is amazing!
I think we'll have to work our way up to something like that.
Thank you for sharing.
2004 Martin J-15
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone uses a volume pedal at the end of there signal chain to fade out their loops? About the only way I can think of to make it work with a fade.
I use a Ditto X2 and manually fade out with my foot while controlling the live sound by picking dynamics. I've loved doing live fadeouts forever and it was natural for me to start doing it this way when I bought the Ditto back in June.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 11-14-2020, 03:52 PM

Default Fade out for guitar looper

Hi there...
I had the same need with my Boss RC-1 and VE-8 so I build a little device that fade out the input sound.
It’s like to have an external pedal volume that automatically fade out...!
This is the link on instructables https://www.instructables.com/Fade-f...molo-for-Free/
It’s possible to build just the fade-out circuit and insert inside the looper: I did for the VE-8 and I’m planning to do on the RC-1.
Hope this can help.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:19 PM

The problem with using the volume pedal idea is if your guitar is chained through the looper, as most folks would do, It also fades your "live" instrument, which you may not want to do.

The fade works well with the EHX-720, but there are a few problems with using it effectively. The fade time is universal and the fade time settings are not the same as the fade number setting, so you have to get creative with figuring out your fade times. You can simply stop your loop if you use an auxiliary foot switch, but that can also be problematic.

I recently switched to the new EHX-1440 which doubles the total time to 23 minutes and gives you 20 storage locations.

More importantly, the EHX-1440 has several revisions to the more primitive 720.

Since it has a direct display, now the loop fades can be set directly in the number of seconds you want. More importantly, each loop fade time can be set independently, so no more need to use a universal fade time. They don't even explain this in the user manual or the sales blurb for the 1440, but this can be a big deal for the user.

I use my looper with the left and right sides hosting two amps, guitar or other instrument on the left and my bass amp and bass through the right side.

Yes, a volume pedal can be used, but think carefully about how you actually want to use your looper. It may simply be adding another device that you don't need to use.

I don't get anyone who thinks it's unnatural to fade the "start" of a song. I would never use a looper fade like that. Hit the stop for the last part of your B section or course and fade naturally to the end. You wouldn't want to fade from the top of the loop normally.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:30 AM

Fade outs are fun. A good way
To get your band to cooperate.
Learning to fade out live involves
Everyone. A vol pedal is a good
Way to do this live and solo.
I'm able to set the ratio of fade
( the amount of travel vs the decrease
In vol.) with my helix stomp which is handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification