The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-06-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
VHT Vooster to run 9v or 12 v from a usb rechargeable battery.

https://reverb.com/item/6201082-vht-...-12-volt-black
I already have a lot of AA NiMH rechargeable batteries, so for me personally a setup where I can use that type is good. I plan to use an adapter, and if I need 15 volts DC I'd use 12 or 13 batteries to get either 14.4 or 15.6 V (I count on 14.4 being enough, but I don't think Phonic will confirm it :P). This can be done with an adapter like this:

I just need to shortcut the unused battery spots to lower the voltage.

There might be some way to get 15V with a litium pack as well, but I don't think these mixers consume that much power, so the older gen NiMH battery technology should be good enough.

Cheers,
Per
Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Battery powered mixer

I don't know which battery mixers have fx, but I can recommend 12 volt Lipo batteries over lead-acid, they are more expensive, but less than 1/4 the size & weight for the same capacity. You can buy automotive DC-DC converters to get the right voltage for your mixer if it's not 12V.
You can also use Nicad or Nimh batteries, buying enough so you always have a fully charged set ready if needed. Over time, throwaway batteries are much more expensive
I suspect the reason a no.of mixers run on low voltage AC is to get a higher voltage for phantom power using an onboard transformer.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyloxy View Post
I don't know which battery mixers have fx, but I can recommend 12 volt Lipo batteries over lead-acid, they are more expensive, but less than 1/4 the size & weight for the same capacity. You can buy automotive DC-DC converters to get the right voltage for your mixer if it's not 12V.
You can also use Nicad or Nimh batteries, buying enough so you always have a fully charged set ready if needed. Over time, throwaway batteries are much more expensive
I suspect the reason a no.of mixers run on low voltage AC is to get a higher voltage for phantom power using an onboard transformer.
Thanks for your input! I already have a whole bunch of NiMH AA batteries which I use for my Cube Street EX, THR5A and Piaggero digital piano, as well as two chargers. So I want to be able to re-use these.

Haven't ordered one yet, but the Phonic Celeus 400 is the one I have my eyes set on.

/Per
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 PM

You’re not seriously suggesting that a Phonic mixer is a candidate for ‘best compact mixer’?
Old 01-10-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
You’re not seriously suggesting that a Phonic mixer is a candidate for ‘best compact mixer’?
In that price range, and with the features that I am looking for. Do you have any experience with this or other Phonic mixers in the price range?

Soundcraft Notepad-12FX is also an option as it runs on 18 V DC, which can be fixed with 15 NiMH batteries. The Notepad lacks the compressor though, although that is NOT a deal-breaker for me.

/Per

Last edited by Per Burström; 01-10-2018 at 10:42 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification