The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Jim... wait until you HEAR how great the CH-OM1100NS sounds. The rich, full, well-balanced tone quality is fantastic.

It's the best sounding CF guitar I've ever played (including several CA's, several RainSongs, several Emeralds, and a Blackbird Savoy) and holds its own very well with fine traditional wood guitars, like my Martin OM28-V.
Well, ya, sure, but still it is such a pretty thing in your photos. I have only a little experience with the CF guitars, owning a CA Cargo (which sounds good and fits me sooo well), and the very few in stock at Elderly when I tried out a Shorty (same basic instrument as the CH-OM, yes?), a Blackbird model more or less comparable to my Cargo and a bigger Rainsong (model lost to me now). Liked the Shorty a lot...so expect I would like the CH-OM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
Well, ya, sure, but still it is such a pretty thing in your photos. I have only a little experience with the CF guitars, owning a CA Cargo (which sounds good and fits me sooo well), and the very few in stock at Elderly when I tried out a Shorty (same basic instrument as the CH-OM, yes?), a Blackbird model more or less comparable to my Cargo and a bigger Rainsong (model lost to me now). Liked the Shorty a lot...so expect I would like the CH-OM.
I own a Cargo and I’m trying to convince myself this is true. It isn’t working too well.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Shorty Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post

The shorty and the ch om are the same guitar just with different finishes, tuners, rosette. There are full gloss shortys and full satin shortys to be had right now for good deals. The ch om has gloss top and satin b/s and neck. So whatever your preference is, there's one for you. I agree with dhart that they are amazing sounding guitars. Very comfortable size too.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
The shorty and the ch om are the same guitar just with different finishes, tuners, rosette. There are full gloss shortys and full satin shortys to be had right now for good deals. The ch om has gloss top and satin b/s and neck. So whatever your preference is, there's one for you. I agree with dhart that they are amazing sounding guitars. Very comfortable size too.
Also, if you are looking at models with pickups, the electronics changed from the Shorty (Fishman Prefix) to the CH series (LR Baggs Element).

I'm pretty happy with my Shorty, but I think I prefer the satin neck on the CH series... maybe enough to trade my Shorty for a CH-OM!
Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Shorty Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Also, if you are looking at models with pickups, the electronics changed from the Shorty (Fishman Prefix) to the CH series (LR Baggs Element).

I'm pretty happy with my Shorty, but I think I prefer the satin neck on the CH series... maybe enough to trade my Shorty for a CH-OM!

You can always make a glossy neck have a satin feel. 600 grit sand paper, elbow grease, then finish it off with OOOO steel wool. I like the gloss b/s. it sure makes that carbon weave look smokin!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:00 PM

Tis fun reading this stuff. Just saying'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Tis fun reading this stuff. Just saying'.
Having fun is what it's all about, Mr. K?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Jim,

Rainsong discontinued the Shorty, the P12 parlors, and the Smokey models so some dealers are offering nice discounts on them.
Any chance those discounts would drive the price of a discontinued P-12S down below that of a new CH-PA?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 PM

I guess I got screwed buying my SG Shorty.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
Or, you could look at it that you have had more time with it if you bought it before the lesser expensive finish models came out. My SG FLE Shorty was my first carbon fiber guitar. I like the sharks, the soundhole rosette, and the glossy back and sides. I rack it up to the cost of entry to carbon fiber.

Since that time, I've learned about CF guitars that are less $$, and perhaps a better value. When I spend money to learn something, I consider it "tuition," rather than getting screwed. Perception.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Or, you could look at it that you have had more time with it if you bought it before the lesser expensive finish models came out. My SG FLE Shorty was my first carbon fiber guitar. I like the sharks, the soundhole rosette, and the glossy back and sides. I rack it up to the cost of entry to carbon fiber.

Since that time, I've learned about CF guitars that are less $$, and perhaps a better value. When I spend money to learn something, I consider it "tuition," rather than getting screwed. Perception.
Thanks! That helps me, too, since I picked up a CA Cargo a few months before a nice price drop...
Old 10-27-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
Deals come and go all the time. For instance Jim bought one of our limited SG's with Abalone rosette, and the first ever Abalone shark fret markers used on Rainsongs for the same price he would have paid for a standard SG. Because the guitar was inspired by a forum member, we donated $100 for every guitar sold, to the AGF, so it was a good deal for the forum, and it's members. But at that price the deal wasn't going to last, and neither will these discontinued models. I'm guessing there are maybe a dozen SG models left out there, so soon this very limited deal will be but a distant memory, and you can feel good about your SG again.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Deals come and go all the time. For instance Jim bought one of our limited SG's with Abalone rosette, and the first ever Abalone shark fret markers used on Rainsongs for the same price he would have paid for a standard SG. Because the guitar was inspired by a forum member, we donated $100 for every guitar sold, to the AGF, so it was a good deal for the forum, and it's members. But at that price the deal wasn't going to last, and neither will these discontinued models. I'm guessing there are maybe a dozen SG models left out there, so soon this very limited deal will be but a distant memory, and you can feel good about your SG again.

Good point. I am happy with the guitar and it definitely fills an important role. Plus it will last longer than me! -with practically zero maintenance.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:33 AM

Is there any love out there for the Rainsong dreads? The youtubes of the dreads (to my ear) sound fantasic. The jumbos sound like they may be too 'in your face' for a quite campfire. I wish I could A/B the OM and dread. The sound difference may never be heard if the OM is the only one being played.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Is there any love out there for the Rainsong dreads? The youtubes of the dreads (to my ear) sound fantasic. The jumbos sound like they may be too 'in your face' for a quite campfire. I wish I could A/B the OM and dread. The sound difference may never be heard if the OM is the only one being played.

Ted has a Black ice 12 fret ( I think) and every time he talks about it I'm tempted to call him up and order one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber