The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 AM

Question Martin 15 vs 17 series

Hello,
I'm from Italy and I'm going to buy a new acoustic Martin. I like very much the 15 and 17 series. I do a lot of strumming but often I like to do also fingerpicking. I already have a Martin OMC-1E.
I don't have the possibility to try these instruments, but from what I have seen and listened on youtube demos, my opinions are:

-the 000-17sm is the most beautiful;
-the D-17M is the best compromise (for strumming and fingerpicking);
-the 000-15sm is the best compromise if you're looking for a small body guitar.

All of these are great sounding guitar to my ears.
I'm considering to buy the D-17M but I'm very indecided... Maybe what I have noticed is that the 000-17sm has too much highs while the 000-15sm has a more balanced sound but less projection. I'm a bit confused! What do you think? There is someone who has played these guitars and can give me some advice? Thanks everbody!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I don't have the possibility to try these instruments, but from what I have seen and listened on youtube demos, my opinions are:

-the 000-17sm is the most beautiful;
-the D-17M is the best compromise (for strumming and fingerpicking);
-the 000-15sm is the best compromise if you're looking for a small body guitar.

I've found that there is a significant reduction in volume between the D and 000 body styles, a characteristic that may be important to you. The 000 12-fret versions ("S" models) are better than their 14-fret 000 cousins in this regard (more "box"), but still lacking compared to what the dreadnought will produce.

I also find that I run out of headroom very quickly when plectrum strumming my 000-15S, which also reduces the amount of volume I can get out of it.

For fingerpicking, the 12-fret 000's are fantastic.

Can't go wrong with any of them, but sounds like the D style will better suit your playing needs for now: as you said, the best compromise.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your feedback, it is very helpful to me!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 PM

I own Both the D-15M and D-17M. I love my D-15M when I am finger picking, because it is warm and has a really peaceful tone that is a pleasure on the ears. The D-15M sounds really great when Flatpicked and handles strumming with no problem. Now the D-15M has Bass but not a whole lot of that Martin Bass that alot of Martin Owneres are use to hearing. The D-15M has a good Bass Response but really handles the Mid range and upper range a whole lot better. I have played my D-15M in Jams and played with it on Stage and it has done it's job.

The D-17M has the Martin Sound and Bass without it being really Booming. The D-17 to me if you only can choose one would be the better choice for an all around guitar. The D-17M in vulme is louder, Good Bass Range with a growl, and good mid range and high end response. The D-17M sound great finger picked and does great when flatpicked and loves to be strummed. The D-17M is very clear and concise in all around tone.

Now I have played my D-15M and then compared it to my D-17M at home. I played a few songes in an order on both. the D-15M you could actually hear the warmth of the tone and on some songs would not trade that sound for nothing. On he D-17M you could hear the Martin Sound and Bass Growls come out and can really here the diffrence in volume in the two with the D-17M having more volume. The D-17M tow me is the all around guitar specially if you jam weekly like I do and a couple of stage performances here and there. The D-15M in Jams sounds really nice and warm but in some Bluegrass songs needs a little more volume. The D-17M on the other hand gets loud when you want it to and sounds great on some of those Bass runs I do in the Bluegrass songs.

I love both of these guitars and will not let either one of them go. Lastly the D-15M is Solid Mahogany all around where the D-17M has a Solid Spruce top and Solid Mahogany Back and sides. The D-17M really sounds close to if not better at times to the D-18.
Taylor 214e SB DLX
Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 PM

I am really enjoying my D17M as an all arounder but I am mostly a strummer.
I have gotten a lot of compliments on its big voice and a couple other players who have tried mine commented on how well it plays (I agree).
Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 AM

Default Good

You're confirming my impressions about the D-17.. thank you very much, you were very helpful!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, d-17m, martin