The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Default Performance anxiety ...

I've played shows before a bar filled with people, and I have no problem doing it, but for some reason, when I get in front of my computer, in the comfort of my own home, and I want to record a song, I never get the best out of myself.

I guess I'm missing that thrill of the crowd getting into it, for sure, and I don't have the same emotion running through me when I'm playing live. Some of it also might be that I can't hear myself through a monitor or anything when I'm recording. Another thing is I think it sounds fine when I'm just playing to play, but the minute I start recording, everything falls apart.

Anyone else experience this, and if so, what steps did you make to get you more comfortable in front of the camera and that camera is on? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Hendrix recorded his mistakes. It worked out fine. Let more happen, do alot of takes then save the best. Red light anxiety can kill productivity. There is a good recent thread on this, but I cannot remember the OP.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks! I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post, so move if need be. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM

Step one is getting an inspiring sound going. Live this can be a great room - a great PA - an audience etc...

For recording this almost always means getting a great sounding monitor mix going to closed back headphones to avoid bleed into the mic (Beyer DT770's are my fave but lots of people like Sennheiser 280s ) - for me with a little reverb as well. Getting this sound in your headphones from the mic also helps you find the best position for what the mic is pointing at. Just keep adjusting slightly until it sounds great in your cans.

As for the anxiety part -- I have been at this a long time and that one can still get me :-)... Just wait till a take is 90% done and just about perfect ... LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD