The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Another Ribbon Demo

Ivan Lee inspired me to grab a budget ribbon mic. He's been posting tracks with the Pacific pro Audio R2, I grabbed the Cascade X-15, which is the same mic, just imported, QA'd and sold under a different brand. Mine has an upgraded transformer, and I think the seller is an AGF poster as well.

Anyway, here's my first stab at recording something with it. Not entirely ordinary, because I spent the day messing with a cool little Parlor guitar, and that's what I'm recording here. I suspected the ribbon might fatten the little guy up a bit, and I think it does. I recorded with the Cascade in MS mode, and a pair of Brauner VM1s at the same time, as spaced pairs. This is clearly not a comparable "shootout", just a couple of different options to compare. This is a short improvised noodle:

Cascade Ribbon mic

Brauners

Both sets of mics, mixed together

I used an AEA RPQ preamp for the Cascade, cranked to full gain, with a slight bass rolloff at 85 Hz. The mixes add a little reverb, and a slight high frequency lift on both tracks around 10Khz. Other than that, no EQ. The Cascade was a tad noisy, and I did a mild noise reduction pass on it.

Oh, I didn't really level-match these, other than by my mix. This isn't about which one is "better', just thought it was an interesting set of sounds.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 AM

Sorry Doug, but you're just terrible at shootouts - the way you improvise who cares what mics are involved, we'll just play the clips over and over and drift away.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 AM

I agree with Fran.

It does sound more like a parlor guitar on the Brauner clip.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Sorry Doug, but you're just terrible at shootouts - the way you improvise who cares what mics are involved, we'll just play the clips over and over and drift away.

Fran
I agree. Lovely playing, lovely sounding guitar.

I don't know how much of that guitar's sound comes from it being a parlor, and how much is more a matter of who built it and how it was built, but it is truly a lovely sounding instrument (and of course, the person doing the playing is influencing the sound a lot too!). The sound is very reminiscent of a classical guitar, but with the sparkle of steel strings. A VERY appealing sound. (A sound very much like a lovely, fabulous Carruth owned by another AGF member that I had opportunity to play recently.)

I'm thinking I probably would really enjoy a good parlor guitar.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 AM

Nice comparison. What specifically is your noise reduction process, Doug?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Like you said, more of a mike demo than a mike comparison due to setup differences. Both sound good and in your face (close miked or just your room?). The ribbon recording has a nice natural reverb but is less detailed than the other recording. I like the separate microphones a little more than the two mixed together.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Jon: for noise reduction, I used Izotope RX. It has a training mode, where you give it some sample "silence" and it can reduce the overall noise. There are a lot of these tools out there, but iZotope's the first one I've tried that doesn't seem to negatively impact the sound.

Rick: Mics were maybe a foot away. This little guitar is very responsive, and very resonant in the lower mids, which sounds really cool in person, but tends to really pop out and get peaky on the recording, so I'm back a little further than usual. There's a bit of reverb on the track from the Bricasti M7.

I think the Brauner's are more accurate to the natural sound of the guitar, but the ribbon seems to complement it well.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM

Ain't noise reduction wonderful! Which software? I'm using iZotope RX2 these days.

On my lap top all three are good. Haven't heard them in the studio yet.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 AM

I love the natural rolloff of ribbon mics, I use a pair of Cascade Fatheads (with the Lundahl transformers) for lo-fi style recording. They have a nice warmth to them. I have to use a good pre with them as they need a LOT of gain! I bought two cloudlifter Z models and they really help with getting the fullrange out of those Fatheads! Those Fatheads really excel at electric guitar amp recording. For serious acoustic guitar recording though I always use a Rode K2, and a John Bonnell modified Rode NTK in M/S. I like the stereo image I get with that setup, along with the tube warmth and clarity. I run those mics into a Drawmer 1960.

This is what the Rode rig sounds like...

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Ain't noise reduction wonderful! Which software? I'm using iZotope RX2 these days.

On my lap top all three are good. Haven't heard them in the studio yet.
Yes, I'm using RX2. Probably wasn't strictly needed, but there was some broadband noise on the cascade.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD