The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Any thoughts on Bronco or Jaguar bass?

Considering picking up a bass for writing/demos at home. Of course, low budget as I’ve no plans on becoming a full blown bass player.
I’ve akways liked the feel of the shirt scale basses; they feel like a guitar. I was thinking of the Bronco or Jaguar, but leaning towards Bronco. I know people say the pickup is noisy. I figured worst case I toss in a new pickup since that’s easy, and I could probably find a noiseless pickup reasonable since it’s just a single coil guitar pickup.
Anybody familiar with the two models have a reason why I should lean one way or the other?
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I can't comment on the Bronco, but I have a Squier Jaguar SS bass and I really like it. It plays and sounds great. At $200 it is an excellent value.

Same as you, I bought it to record with and to mess around with. I'm not a bad bass player, but I'm nothing special.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Used Mexican P-Bass. Can't go wrong.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I can't comment on the Bronco, but I have a Squier Jaguar SS bass and I really like it. It plays and sounds great. At $200 it is an excellent value.

Same as you, I bought it to record with and to mess around with. I'm not a bad bass player, but I'm nothing special.
Good to hear on the Jaguar at least. I’m just debating if it’s worth the extra $50 👍
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
If I could find one between $75-150 used I’d take that all day long!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-24-2017, 01:42 PM

The school band where I used to teach had a Bronco Bass, so I'm quite familiar with they are - and what they're not. If you're looking for a cheap mod platform - in other words, it's your intention from the get-go to install new tuners/electronics/bridge - you'll have a compact, lightweight, easy-handling instrument for about $300 net investment; if you're not inclined to do mods and you're OK with more weight, the extra $50 for the short-scale Jag Bass is money well-spent. That said, there are other options: the Epiphone EB-0 sells for similar money (tip: used Korean-made versions sell for $100-150 depending on condition - these compare favorably with the '60s Gibson originals), the Dean EVO bass offers a two-octave fingerboard, and if weight is a primary consideration MF/GC routinely run the Rogue VB-100 Hofner knockoff for under $175 on coupon days - any one of these might be a viable option...
Old 10-24-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The school band where I used to teach had a Bronco Bass, so I'm quite familiar with they are - and what they're not. If you're looking for a cheap mod platform - in other words, it's your intention from the get-go to install new tuners/electronics/bridge - you'll have a compact, lightweight, easy-handling instrument for about $300 net investment; if you're not inclined to do mods and you're OK with more weight, the extra $50 for the short-scale Jag Bass is money well-spent. That said, there are other options: the Epiphone EB-0 sells for similar money (tip: used Korean-made versions sell for $100-150 depending on condition - these compare favorably with the '60s Gibson originals), the Dean EVO bass offers a two-octave fingerboard, and if weight is a primary consideration MF/GC routinely run the Rogue VB-100 Hofner knockoff for under $175 on coupon days - any one of these might be a viable option...

My hope was to pick one up next month (Black Friday deals? Or used) and play as isnfor the holiday season as I’m only really looking to use it to add color/layers to demo recordings I send to the other people I write with. After the holidays when I can talk the wife into spending some more money I hoped to change a few parts on it.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-24-2017, 03:54 PM

I have the Squier Jaguar SS bass, and it was a major gateway drug into bass playing. I've actually had two (one was stolen) and both were OK out of the box to play and use. The "P/J" pickup combination gives you some options, and the P base style pickup is humbucking.

I play more standard 34" scale bass now, but I'll still use a short scale bass when I need the help for faster parts.

For what you're planning on using it for, it's a good option.

As Steve DeRosa points out there are others SS bass options out there, but the Squier Jag SS bass is easy to find and priced low.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Yes.

If the OP can get used to the standard scale length - which is not that big of an issue, imo - then a Precision or Jazz bass will sound markedly better (denser, more rounded tone, and more punch/less flap down low) than a short scale bass like the Bronco or Jaguar.

Mexican P & Js are superb value, too.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 AM

I have a Squire Bronco bass that I've used for close to 10 years now. I have had no noise issues regarding the pickups and the stock tuners have kept the Bronco in tune for me. I'm not really a bass player so I only use the Bronco for home recording and it has done the job for me. The short scale is great for guitar players who only dabble in the bass such as me.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Yes.

If the OP can get used to the standard scale length - which is not that big of an issue, imo - then a Precision or Jazz bass will sound markedly better (denser, more rounded tone, and more punch/less flap down low) than a short scale bass like the Bronco or Jaguar.

Mexican P & Js are superb value, too.

Back when I played guitar more often I had a Japanese P that was incredible. When I quit figuring and writing as often I sold it as it was expendable. Started writing a lot more again, and with having a family now and a limited budget I figured something cheap will suffice.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-25-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I have a Squire Bronco bass that I've used for close to 10 years now. I have had no noise issues regarding the pickups and the stock tuners have kept the Bronco in tune for me. I'm not really a bass player so I only use the Bronco for home recording and it has done the job for me. The short scale is great for guitar players who only dabble in the bass such as me.

That’s great to hear! That’s about all I plan to use a bass for. It would just sit most the time, but it helps a demo sound more full and just helps me finish ideas. I figured if I do the Bronco I could leave it as is and if it really bothers me change things over time.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 AM

I have a standard scale Squier Jaguar that I "stole" for $80. It was 100% mint when I got it, but needed a good setup (action, intonation, fret level and polish) which I did that day. New battery (active system, with a nice bass boost circuit). Strung it up with flats.

I could use it for any of my gigs, really, but I bought it for the sole purpose of using it at a local open mic where I can let anyone who wants to play use it, without worrying about one of my gigging axes. Last week someone dropped it, and the elephant ear came off one of the tuners. I brazed it back on, and it's good to go. And I never sweated the damage.

You could do worse!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Which Jaguar are you referring to? You didn't say Squire, but others and the prices being discussed sound like it. So do the short scale comments.

I have an MIJ Fender Jaguar and it's a pretty good bass (34" scale). Active/passive pups. Active tends to be noisy. Passive sounds like a J bass. But it won't be $80 (if you can find one for that, find two and I'll pay and give you one)

Can't vouch for the short scale Squire if that's your target. To confuse the whole lineup, there are now MIA Jaguars too.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you wind up with.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:51 PM

I think I’ll end up snagging the Bronco, unless I find a killer deal on a Jaguar. Money and I honestly like the look of the Bronco more. With all I’m using it for I think I’ll be pleased with it.
Looks like I should be able to start hunting November 1 for one!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars