The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
Yep, this is the way to do nut compensation. Ignore the open strings and adjust the saddle until all fretted notes play in tune. Then check how sharp the open notes are and file the nut back accordingly for each string. You should end up with two ramps like the saddle, with the low E and B being closest to the 1st fret, and high E and G farthest from the 1st fret.
This post begins by quoting me and then agreeing, but I said nothing about how to do nut compensation.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 07-05-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Well I have to report that after thoroughly going over the neck with a strobe tuner, I can not pinpoint an exact cause as I first thought. It is most likely a combination of things both saddle, nut, and even possibly frets in wrong places. I have taken the guitar to a guitar tech in the past and his suggestion was a straight saddle with no compensation at all, which he hand cut for me. I may pop it in to test further even though I feel as though the b-compensated saddle was an improvement. This guitar has certainly been a "problem child" since the day I got it... sigh!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Honestly - I seriously doubt the fretboard or bridge positions are wrong. The fretboard is machine cut to very high precision. The bridges are all machine cut and glued using position jigs... If one guitar is wrong - many are wrong because they are all done using the same machines..

More likely a setup related issue like a poorly adjusted nut, poorly adjusted saddle, badly misadjusted truss rod, incorrectly levelled and crowned frets... Or some combination thereof... A good setup tech can ferret it out and correct it (for a price of course)...

So... Now tell is what has been done to the guitar or is this a new (to you) purchase with which you have no history..

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair