The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-17-2017, 08:11 AM

Default Aging A Tortoise Pickguard

I have a new tortoise pick guard for my J-45. Is there a way to give it the look of an aged pickguard?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:08 AM

Interesting question - what is the look of an aged pickguard?

Mostly we talk about the color and pattern of tortoise pickguards, and those are features of the individual pieces of celluloid or other plastic material, and may appear vary over time not because of age but because of production, style, etc. Far as I know, they don't change much in appearance with age except for wear and, in some instruments, the deterioration of finish on top of them, which may become cloudy, etc.

Frank Ford
Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Interesting question - what is the look of an aged pickguard?

Mostly we talk about the color and pattern of tortoise pickguards, and those are features of the individual pieces of celluloid or other plastic material, and may appear vary over time not because of age but because of production, style, etc. Far as I know, they don't change much in appearance with age except for wear and, in some instruments, the deterioration of finish on top of them, which may become cloudy, etc.
Frank, thanks for the note back and you are really spot on. I was just wanting to knock off a bit of the new shine this pickguard shows. I appreciate your response.
Michael
Old 06-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Yes. The plastic picks up a zillion scratches too small to be visible, and loses the glinty production over-shine. I really dislike ultra-glossy anything, and so I often use maybe 1500 grit paper to shift from high shine to luster on some surfaces. Of course, you have to test first. Generally, you can move into compound, etc., and get as high a shine as you want. I really love the luster of much-handled instruments -- which is why I end up buyng used/vintage most of the time!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM

I once carefully masked off the top of my Martin so I could use some Scotchbrite pad to scuff up the glossy black pick guard to a satin finish. That was mostly to show fingerprints less. Is this the kind of thing you are asking about?

It went in to the *good* local shop for a new nut. Imagine my surprise when it came back all shiny again. "I did you a favor before putting on the new strings and ran the pickguard across my buffing wheel to shine it up. You're welcome".

Back to the Scotchbrite pads......
Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 AM

0000 steel wool also works to remove the shine.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:08 PM

I agree with John Arnold, go with the 4-O.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair