The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Thanks to Seamus and Blues, as old as I am and as you may notice that English is not my first language but that doesn't deter me from singing in English anyway!!

I actually just started to mess around with this "Recording" thing! And so far am really an infant as you may notice, but I know that I'm having a fun time fooling around with it. I guessed I had to start somewhere (and hopefully it'd lead me to the right direction) so I jumped right in not too long ago.

I also realized that there are so much more to learn to make it better, and many of you guys here are so graciously shared their knowledge and experiences and encouragement that we (the Johnny comes lately) need to get by. I thank you all for that.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
Thanks to Seamus and Blues, as old as I am and as you may notice that English is not my first language but that doesn't deter me from singing in English anyway!!

I actually just started to mess around with this "Recording" thing! And so far am really an infant as you may notice, but I know that I'm having a fun time fooling around with it. I guessed I had to start somewhere (and hopefully it'd lead me to the right direction) so I jumped right in not too long ago.

I also realized that there are so much more to learn to make it better, and many of you guys here are so graciously shared their knowledge and experiences and encouragement that we (the Johnny comes lately) need to get by. I thank you all for that.
What's your first language? You have a beautiful voice and the version was haunting!

I looked at a few acoustic-electric bass guitars today...we're not in position to do much, but the Dean basic bass is about $150 or so. I wonder if it is sufficient.

Each recording that I have heard on the multi tracks all seem enhanced by using a bass, so I think it will be important.

I also played a 6 string banjo, and Bob was right; it was lacking and sounded 'tinny' without that fun banjo sound, even when I did fingerpicking.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Some bass guitar techniques can be difficult to learn and master, but to learn and play a simple bass is very easy if you already play guitar. Just hitting the bass note of each chord is all that is needed in many songs. Getting your bass parts perfectly timed with your guitar will be an important goal to start. Then work on more complex parts from there, such as alternating bass, and bass riffs and patterns such as the boogie. Bass can be played with thumb, fingers, a pick and there are slap techniques that can be employed (that is a little more advanced). For the music I play, simple bass, alternating bass, and simple bass riffs are usually all that is required. It's fun and really rounds out the sound of the track.
Bob1131, your version of "California Dreaming" is nice; with some serious backing vocals!

Did you start with just a basic, entry level (is that even the right term?) bass guitar?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusORiley View Post
What's your first language? You have a beautiful voice and the version was haunting!

I looked at a few acoustic-electric bass guitars today...we're not in position to do much, but the Dean basic bass is about $150 or so. I wonder if it is sufficient.

My first language is Thai. Yes, I agree that "Against the wind" is always haunting particularly when we get to this age

About bass, I'd say just wait and may be search for the USED one at your local Craigslist. I don't think you should pay more than $100.

Also I just check Bob's (I didn't read down to his signature!). I'm a Stones fan and really love "Ruby Tuesday". And that one is also another haunting song for sure, nice job Bob.

I just finished my other multi-track song at SoundCloud. This one I also played around with my Zoom RT123 drum machine and my Fender P bass. It's JT's old song.

http://soundcloud.com/napman9/fire-and-rain-multi-track

Last edited by napman; 06-10-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Bob1131, your version of "California Dreaming" is nice; with some serious backing vocals!

Did you start with just a basic, entry level (is that even the right term?) bass guitar?
Thank you for checking out our covers. Those harmonies are all Deb and me. We multi-track them, usually doubling each part and panning them left and right to widen the sound (some people refer to it as a wall of sound). Some folks like the wall of sound and some don't...I like it on most of the old 60s and 70s covers we do. We sometimes occupy 16 tracks of just vocals to create those thick harmonies. It is challenging and fun to do!

I have an "entry" level bass and it serves me well for what I do. I bought it used for $75, but new it goes for about $179.00....this is what have: Fender Squier P-Bass (same color as pictured). Anytime you hear bass in any of our tracks, it was played on that bass. Check pawn shops and your local Craigs List...I'll bet there are some really good buys on bass guitars in your area, that is unless you live in a very rural location. There is a very lively music scene here, so there is always used instruments for sale.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

Last edited by Bob1131; 06-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
My first language is Thai. Yes, I agree that "Against the wind" is always haunting particularly when we get to this age

About bass, I'd say just wait and may be search for the USED one at your local Craigslist. I don't think you should pay more than $100.

Also I just check Bob's (I didn't read down to his signature!). I'm a Stones fan and really love "Ruby Tuesday". And that one is also another haunting song for sure, nice job Bob.

I just finished my other multi-track song at SoundCloud. This one I also played around with my Zoom RT123 drum machine and my Fender P bass. It's JT's old song.

http://soundcloud.com/napman9/fire-and-rain-multi-track
Thanks, Napman! As you could probably tell, I'm a Stones fan, too, but mostly early Stones. "Last Time" is posted there too, and it is a fun song to play and sing. I used electric guitar in it to emphasize that signature riff, and I also used some harmonica in there.

I listened to your new recordings and they are very good...nice tone and clear sound. "Against The Wind" is great at that slower tempo and your vocal is perfect for it. "Fire and Rain" is very good too, but I would leave out the drums because they detract from the intimate and melancholy tone of your guitar and vocal, IMHO.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:05 AM

Here's a crack at my first completed song. Kind of rough but, it's a start! Drums, guitar, bass, harmonica and vocals all by me......

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53882105/MP3...%20weekend.mp3
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
Here's a crack at my first completed song. Kind of rough but, it's a start! Drums, guitar, bass, harmonica and vocals all by me......

Great song. It sounds so much to my ears like the way Gordon Lightfoot sounds on his latest releases. ("is there anybody home..." from "Harmony", I think it is called "the End of All Time" and the vocals sound very similar!).

Nice blend and nice work on the mix. I have found, again, that I stopped listening critically and just enjoyed the song!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 AM

Thanks Seamus!

It's so cool to here other folks versions of songs that, at our age, we've heard millions of times but, with a different interpretation of it.

A testament to each of us being individuals I guess!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
I would leave out the drums because they detract from the intimate and melancholy tone of your guitar and vocal, IMHO.
Hi Bob,

I had more time to listen to your songs last night and it occured to me that you are just so good in what you're doing. I'm amazed at the experience that you've gathered along the way since you started,

Thanks again and I'll take your advices seriously. For now I'm just trying to TRY anything just to see how it'll come out. I've never thought about using so many tracks (you used all of your 16 tracks!!), but I think I've changed my way of thinking when I read about your way of recording.

I know that I can learn A LOT from you, I also know that I'll gather more experience (good or bad results) while stumbling along my way. There are a lot more to learn such as PAN, EQ, or even control each individual fader volume while mastering the song and many other tricks. In other words, so much more fun to have with this recording stuffs.

I'm so glad that you shared your knowledge and kind enough to offered your ideas and such to us the new comers
Old 06-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post

Hi Lap,

I really like your version. You just transformed NY song to your own!!

I can say that everything that you mixed are so balanced (to my untrained ears). Sounds so nice. You inspired me to do much better job next time
Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 AM

May I seek opinions from those of this thread? You all seem to understand each other well.

$ is a factor, and as you know, I would like to add bass to the multi tracking.

BTW, I stopped at lunch at yet another store and the 6 string banjo did not have a nice, 'banjo' sound, even though it felt solid, heavy and was $500, used.

Here for opinion? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3720wt_1039

Last edited by SeamusORiley; 06-11-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Hi Lap,

I really like your version. You just transformed NY song to your own!!

I can say that everything that you mixed are so balanced (to my untrained ears). Sounds so nice. You inspired me to do much better job next time
Thanks napman! You do OK for yourself as well!

It's my first try at actually "finishing" a recording. I usually just keep recording the same tracks in an effort to get everything perfect. This time, I just went with it. I wanted to try and complete one recording start-to-finish.

I fumble around and experiment myself. Trying different things for different effects........thus the name of my "studio".........Clueless Productions
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
May I seek opinions from those of this thread? You all seem to understand each other well.

$ is a factor, and as you know, I would like to add bass to the multi tracking.

BTW, I stopped at lunch at yet another store and the 6 string banjo did not have a nice, 'banjo' sound, even though it felt solid, heavy and was $500, used.

Here for opinion? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3720wt_1039
Seamus,

For a budget ABG, that model is seems to be pretty popular and well regarded. It may even leave you enough room for a budget electric bass as well.

I would caution you though that I've owned many ABG's over the years and fretted ones always seemed to have an annoying "fret rattle". I haven't had that issue since going fretless.

fyi.....on my recording, I used my Michael Kelly fretless acoustic bass with tapewounds
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM

Fretless...

is it more difficult to learn? I am looking at them at the Musicans Friend website.

I apologize for my ignorance on the topic!

Would the learning curve be the same as with frets?

Less buzz problems in the low end is appealing.

here is one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dean-4-Strin...#ht_6728wt_868 it looks the same as with frets.

Last edited by SeamusORiley; 06-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD