The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM

Default Home Recording

I have been using the Zoom H1 for recording practice, and it is a great little machine. I use no electronics, just acoustic guitar (and some harmonica).

What if I wanted to try to record myself and add a track of lead, or background guitar?

I tried to do this with an app on the iphone but is there an inexpensive way of adding a track or two with something of the quality like the Zoom products? (I have used H2 and found it to have great sound).

I mean to do this without electronics, mics, mixers, etc...just living room recording that I can later burn to a CD and give to my kids.

Any suggestions?

thank you.

PS: I bought one of the first H1's and had the battery drain problem and recently sent it back to Sansom two weeks ago---they said they'd repair the issue free of charge.

Last edited by SeamusORiley; 04-16-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM

The H4n has built-in multitracking and overdubbing.

The H2/H2n can be used as audio interface devices, allowing you to multitrack and overdub using software on your computer.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Thanks, Fran.

Many years ago I had a small Tascam cassette recorder that was 4 track and it simply had a playback and record button which allowed, for example, the first track to be heard while recording the 2nd track, and then the 3rd and 4th, without headphones or microphones.

It was nothing special in terms of sound quality, but it was a lot of fun.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:10 PM

I have been searching online for the ease and simplicity of the old Tascam cassette recorders when I found the TASCAM DP-004 was made to deliberately mimic the cassette recorder. Sweetwater has it and some reviews.

I had fun with just it, and an acoustic guitar (no mics, no plug ins, nothing electronic) and recorded acoustic guitar on Track one, lead acoustic guitar on track two and maybe vocal or harmonica on 3 and 4.

Does the H2n do the same thing without any other equipment? The other Zoom 16 seems much more complicated and needs a computer. I am only thinking:

-acoustic
-stand alone
-a way to hear the first track while recording the 2nd track
-no mics, no inputs

Does this sound too simplistic to be any good? My goal is to eventually make a CD for my kids. Acoustic guitar, harmonica, uke, vocals. If I am able to do this, I may save for an acoustic bass guitar and begin to learn to play.

I am limited with time and am alone. I apologize for the ignorance of recording. I loved the H2, but my eyes had trouble with the small screen and I don't know how to edit via computer. thanks again for comments, answers, opinions.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusORiley View Post
I have been searching online for the ease and simplicity of the old Tascam cassette recorders when I found the TASCAM DP-004 was made to deliberately mimic the cassette recorder. Sweetwater has it and some reviews.

I had fun with just it, and an acoustic guitar (no mics, no plug ins, nothing electronic) and recorded acoustic guitar on Track one, lead acoustic guitar on track two and maybe vocal or harmonica on 3 and 4.

Does the H2n do the same thing without any other equipment? The other Zoom 16 seems much more complicated and needs a computer. I am only thinking:

-acoustic
-stand alone
-a way to hear the first track while recording the 2nd track
-no mics, no inputs

Does this sound too simplistic to be any good? My goal is to eventually make a CD for my kids. Acoustic guitar, harmonica, uke, vocals. If I am able to do this, I may save for an acoustic bass guitar and begin to learn to play.

I am limited with time and am alone. I apologize for the ignorance of recording. I loved the H2, but my eyes had trouble with the small screen and I don't know how to edit via computer. thanks again for comments, answers, opinions.
The H4n (or Tascam DR40) will do what you want. They have overdubbing/multitracking features. The H2n will not.

I haven't used either of the multi-track recorders. I've used the R16, it works well but the built-in mic is a bit lacking to my taste.

Although the startup learning curve using a computer based system can be frustrating, the ergonomics of editing and general use are much easier on the computer, once one gets past the initial brain-fry period.

Fran
Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 PM

Fran,

You read me correctly regarding the computer fear and jumping in...and I appreciate the polite response. I always am a bit hesitant to post here because there's so much I don't know, so your response is especially appreciated.

My thinking...(and perhaps others feel this way) is that being alone, there is an acoustic sound I love.

When Happy Traum recorded a session with Bob Dylan they produced a few fun songs, including "You Ain't Going Nowhere", with Happy on bass and banjo.
Altogether they had one (or two) acoustic guitar, harmonica, bass, and banjo.

I can think of a lot of fun songs to record, by myself, using four tracks.

I am thinking of getting an acoustic bass, and maybe even trying a 6 string banjo.

Limited by time and geography, I am pretty much alone and would have fun doing some songs.

Does this sound like anything you have tried? Others?

The thought of a drum track or drum machine is much too much at this juncture.

I'd appreciate any input, and any youtube or audio links!

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 PM

I haven't used the H4n beyond a few comparison tests, but I found a YouTube video demonstrating an overdub session. This guy only uses the mics for some hand percussion, but the workflow should be the same for your projects.

There are many other multitrackers, but only the H4n and Tascam DR40 have fairly high quality stereo mics, as far as I know.

This guy prefers the H4n, but he's doing a completely different task.

Fran
Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 AM

Fran,

I've just discovered your wonderful homebrew website and am learning!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM

I would vote for the Tascam DP008, its not expensive and does 8 tracks and is super super easy to use. Unless you really need a field mic, ie. Zoom type digital recorder, just score a dedicate multitrack. I have both, and honestly the zoom has portability and thats why i got it. But making it be a multitrack mini studio is pushing what it was made for which is for grabbing live sound performance.

I think of the Zoom as somthing more for recording a choir practice or something like that, not really designed for home studio. Has no reverb for one The portastudios give ya that. I love how the Tascam lets me just push a button out of 8 for the channel i want to record. It has a great set of stereo mics on it. I cant tell the diff between those and my Zoom. I have the 2 though, maybe the 4 has better mics.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Fran,

My thinking...(and perhaps others feel this way) is that being alone, there is an acoustic sound I love...................

I can think of a lot of fun songs to record, by myself, using four tracks.........

Limited by time and geography, I am pretty much alone and would have fun doing some songs.

Does this sound like anything you have tried? Others?

Hi Seamus,

Yep, count me in!

At 65 I'm having this kind of fun and much prefer acoustic to electric for this last musical chapter of my life. I actually just bought Tascam DP-02 few months ago and still in learning stage. To me personally I think it's a little bit overkill for my projects!

I've read Davis's comment about Tascam DP-008 and am very interesting. And it's not that much $$ to spend to have more simpler fun since I already have some other gadgets on hands.

Please post some more on your thoughts and progress. And I have to mention that Fran is also my source of knowledge in this "Recording" too. I think I've learned a lot from him.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM

Are other old guys, like myself, trying to put down some tracks on their own?

I am now thinking about the 6 string banjo!

I am glad I am not alone in fear of new tech. Fran's website is a huge help.

I'd like to put together a CD of acoustic music for my wife and kids, and eventually, for my grandchildren. I am only a hobbyist and this is something I have to do alone.

Last edited by SeamusORiley; 04-24-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I'm certainly one of those old guys. I experimented this one yesterday, inspired by you!

Disregard the coughing from my wife at the beginning, she just happened to be in there and didn't even realize that I was mixing this file. I just left it in there with all the warts of my own. There's no reason to hide my mistakes or ashame of who I really am!
I shared this with you just to show you that it can be done (even badly as I did, but we all have to start somewhere, right?). So it's only gonna get better for sure next time around :-)

http://soundcloud.com/napman9/testing-dubbing

Last edited by napman; 04-24-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM

Deleted - wrong topic
Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
I'm certainly one of those old guys. I experimented this one yesterday, inspired by you!

Disregard the coughing from my wife at the beginning, she just happened to be in there and didn't even realize that I was mixing this file. I just left it in there with all the warts of my own. There's no reason to hide my mistakes or ashame of who I really am!
I shared this with you just to show you that it can be done (even badly as I did, but we all have to start somewhere, right?). So it's only gonna get better for sure next time around :-)

http://soundcloud.com/napman9/testing-dubbing
This is great! You've got a real nice singing voice; great range and reach for the high notes. The lead guitar was nice. Does it come with drum?

This is pretty much what I am wanting to do. I don't sing as well as you, but can do some instrumentals.

What a nice job you did! Your version of "Morning Has Broken" is beautiful.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am also recording on my own and I am 62, but count me young I guess, cause I actually like the new technology. Perhaps its because back in the 70's, I sold stereo equipment from the entry level to what was at that time fairly Hi End. Also I started using computers in the early 80's which helps I am sure.

I ventured into Computer based recording in 2003 and for certain it was a bit overwhelming at first, now I feel much more comfortable but that's what 9 yrs. of doing brings.
While it's been a heck of learning curve I have enjoyed it immensely.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD