The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-06-2014, 04:20 AM

Default First Ukulele advice

Hi all. I've been playing acoustic guitar for 40 years now. I like the idea of learning ukulele. But freely admit that I know absolutely nothing about them.
I've seen the various sizes of ukulele available, and am thinking that a Tenor might be a good first instrument for me? I have fairly large hands so think this size would be suitable.
I'm in the UK, so appreciate that my next question may be difficult to answer. I'm only looking at spending around £60/$90 on this first instrument, and I've seen brands such as Kala, Makala and Mahalo for sale over here. Are these brands ok for a starter uke?
Many thanks in advance for information and advice received
Ian

Last edited by Yanto; 11-06-2014 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Text removed
Old 11-06-2014, 04:28 AM

I'm more into tenors and concerts than sopranos. Sopranos for me are only for strumming, just my opinion. The longer scale helps a lot on the concerts and tenors. You'll also avoid all the cheap rubbish you get at the bottom end of sopranos.

Another brand you might like for that price is Brunswick

Have a look at the HMS store
Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 AM

Thanks. I've seen Brunswick models online under my budget. Seem ok
Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 AM

Last edited by sirwhale; 11-06-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: double post, rubbish internet connection
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 AM

HMS store?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 AM

If 90 is all you can come up with, I'm going to predict your first uke will be a major disappointment, due in part to the probability that first guitar costing 90 dollars would also be. Hoping to get an acceptable one is truly like playing the lottery at that price. If you can part with a bit more, you could look at the new Gretsch offerings, I've been impressed with those.

But I do wish you good luck, ukes are real instruments and a lot of fun to learn. You may be surprised at some of the "aha!" moments you may have.

Hawaii Music Supply- aka the ukulele site

Last edited by Neal; 11-08-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:31 AM

I just bought this Kala tenor "travel" uke, a Kala KA-SSTU-T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzMFm_6OCI

Is sounds fantastic and don't let the thin body fool you.... it's loud. I got it for less than $200. I highly recommend it. But you can get other Kala models in your price range.
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster

Last edited by OnTheLedge; 11-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Good for you!

The Uke is a wonderful, fun instrument that you can a lot with.
I like Tenors as well, nice size, nice room on the fretboard and coming from guitar I think you will like the tone.

Highly recommend going to this site as others listed, and listening to soundclips and looking around-you will learn a lot there. These guys are extremely helpful and know Ukes. If you buy from them you will get a well set up instrument that plays and sounds nice.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/

there is the UkuleleUnderground forum that is a neat place to venture, nice full classifieds-just be careful that you know what you are getting if you buy there.

This lady is in Virginia(in USA), and is extremely helpful and honest, and might be able to recommend something new or used if you call or email-she has a lot of youtube videos as well. she sends them out well set up as well.
http://mimsukes.com/

Can't stress enough to attempt to get a good solid built Uke that has excellent playability in the action(and adjustment so you can set it up to your own liking). You want something that will inspire and sound nice all over the fretboard.

and for inspiration, the amazing Kalei Gamiao

and Brittni Paiva-Great!
Old 11-07-2014, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the advice and info. It's funny. I was on the phone earlier with a shop in London. Told them I'm looking for a first ukulele. They suggested spending no more than £40 on a first instrument. Said they would happily take money off me for a much more expensive instrument, but saw no need. I'm thinking I will spend up to the equivalent of $160US. I appreciate this will not get me an all solid top of the range instrument. But I'm hoping it will buy something very playable for me to learn on. The Lanikai LU21 has been highly recommended to me by two shops now.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
Thanks for the advice and info. It's funny. I was on the phone earlier with a shop in London. Told them I'm looking for a first ukulele. They suggested spending no more than £40 on a first instrument. Said they would happily take money off me for a much more expensive instrument, but saw no need. I'm thinking I will spend up to the equivalent of $160US. I appreciate this will not get me an all solid top of the range instrument. But I'm hoping it will buy something very playable for me to learn on. The Lanikai LU21 has been highly recommended to me by two shops now.
Maybe not all solid.....but for $160 you can get one with a solid top. My Kala described above has a solid top.
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 PM

I agree that for 90 you won't get much. I'd also recommend going higher at least a little. Kala makes some nice enough instruments for first timers but be sure to have the store check intonation, action and make sure the frets are smooth on the ends. HMS is a store in Hawaii that has a very good reputation. (You asked about it above). They'll set up the instrument to cover what I mentioned. They also have videos demonstrating what they sell. Very worthwhile. HMS stands for Hawaiian Music Store.

I've also played Gretsch Ukes and they are nice (similar to Kala but better necks, more beefy which those of us with larger hands will appreciate - in fact if there is anything I don't like about Kala's personally is their small necks).

You could also check out Cordoba at HMS, they are well liked and I've played a few and found them good. You also might find Ohana in your neck of the woods, they seem more rare in the US but when i have come across them they are good. Another brand too would be Mainland but they are a little higher in price than what you're mentioning.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 AM

There is a lively group of heretical miscreants from the UK you'll want to visit for more home grown advice-
http://www.ukulelecosmos.com/phpBB3/index.php
They are fun and informative, opinionated, knowledgeable, and not moderated, so one must, on occasion, wear their big boy hats. But you will find them helpful as to places, ukes, price, etc.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:53 AM

Default a little story.

I also knew nothing about ukeleles when I saw a "discounted" Kala concert uke (GACE) at the local music store. I ended up putting it on lay-away for the next 3 months just to see if I really had to have it.
After reading numerous articles about this particular uke, I decided to buy the uke. IMO, although, I believe I over-paid for it, it is a great sounding, great playing uke. I like it so much, but as others have stated, the neck is rather smallish...I'm ready to move up to a tenor.
Regardless, I would suggest looking @ the $200 range. Yes, a bit more expensive, but less worries about the quality of the ukelele.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Neal - I joined that website 4 days ago. Posted the same question there as here. Still waiting for it to appear on the forum boards!! Given up on it now.
Ukulele Underground is a far better, more informative site
Ian
Old 11-14-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
The Lanikai LU21 has been highly recommended to me by two shops now.
I just ordered a Lanikai LU21B off ebay. I'll let you know how it turns out after I receive it. I'm also a rank beginner, know nothing about ukes, but the prices on Ebay were pretty trivial so I thought I'd give it a shot. New in box, factory seconds for $30.

Last edited by pszy22; 11-14-2014 at 09:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments