The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-02-2014, 04:11 AM

Default Acoustic strings Magazine

Greetings All,
Can someone tell me if there is an acoustic instrument string magazine in the uk that covers Guitar, Tenor Guitar, Tenor Banjo, Mandolin Bouzouki, etc,
the ones I have seen seem to mainly cover just guitar.
Thanks Mike
Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 AM

Short answer is no. There is Acoustic Magazine which, going by the title, you would think would cover the instruments you are looking for, but unfortunately their coverage is sketchy to say the least. Once in a blue moon you might get a review of a banjo or Uke. I have never seen any coverage of bouzouki in the magazine, and mandolin coverage was got rid of years ago when they used to have an excellent column by Simon Mayor.

Nowadays the magazine is all Rock stars and singer song writers (they even have a looping column which stretches the definition of acoustic a little to far).

I've been very tempted recently to set up my own magazine on acoustic instruments as, like you, I find it sad that there is no magazine for us acoustic fanatics, many of whom play more than just the guitar.

Robbie
Old 11-02-2014, 02:43 PM

Don't know about UK availability, but Fretboard Journal does a fair amount of features dedicated to instruments other than guitar. Loaded with great interviews and serious eye candy.

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/

Who else would do such a great video interview with tenor guitar player John Lawlor?:

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/vide...st-john-lawlor

The most recent issue features an interview with Fletcher Brock, maker of super-fine octave mandolins, including Sarah Jaroz's main squeeze.

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-02-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Sadly magazines don't sell stories to you. They sell you to advertisers. And there aren't enough of you, or us, to justify a magazine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments