The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 05:39 AM

Default NGD (to me) 2015 Taylor 816CE

Hello All,
I want to preface this post by apologizing for the length… and saying that I think I've been converted, or at the very least, educated. Converted in a way that I never thought would happen...and I'm excited and scared at the same time! I never really believed that I would ever own a guitar that was valued over $2000 CDN and I also never believed that guitars were "worth" that much, given the law of diminishing returns once you hit the $1500 range. I want to thank "dhodgeh" for selling me his Taylor 816ce at a very fair price and for the expediency and care in which it was shipped to me up here in the Great White North, all the way from Florida.

The Taylor 816ce, pre-V-bracing, goes for about $5000+ new, up here in Canada. I've been playing guitar for 30 years, off and on, and lusted over the 800-series starting back in 2014 when Taylor and Andy Powers released those tasty videos showcasing the revamped lineup and improvements made to their flagship series. I never seriously imagined that I'd ever own one due to the price, and due to a self-limiting thought process, that would ring in my head "You're not good enough for a guitar like that...it would be a waste! You're just a strummer/electric hack!" And it's true, lol, I don't "need" a guitar like this, but **** I wanted one bad!

As far as acoustic guitars go, I currently own a Martin DCX1AE, 1998 Takamine Ltd Edition Sun and Moon, and a Seagull Artist Studio CW with solid rosewood back and sides. All these guitars fall in the $900 - $1800 range here in Canada and are pretty nice to play. I figured I wasn't really missing out on much. Fast forward to a couple weekends ago. I made a 7-hour round-trip to pick up the guitar across the border at a parcel service place that many canucks use for items purchased in the USA. I brought the Taylor home and waited a bit before opening the box it was packaged in. I was worried. What if the guitar isn't all I've made it up to be in my mind? What if the fabled "Taylor Sound" which has often been described as bright, wasn't what I was looking for? I opened the box, took the case out and opened it up. Nothing broken.... phew...everything looks to be where it should be I grabbed the guitar and lifted it out of the case.

My first thought was...."Wow...it's light....um.... this feels cheap." I was used to my other guitars, and this felt slightly like a toy even though it's body size was large! My next thought was "This neck is so smooth, it feels like plastic." I'm not going to lie...I was getting more worried. I went to tune the guitar and my hand or fingers lightly bumped against the top and this full, loud, “whump” sound came out of it! Oh, that was unexpected. I tapped a finger lightly against the top, this time on purpose, and the same, louder than expected, sound came out of the instrument. The worry was starting to fade as I tuned up the guitar. The first thing I played once tuned, was a basic, open, E major chord. I was slightly stunned and confused as the notes rang out. Not only was it very pleasing, to my ears, but I thought that I felt something physical happening with the guitar. I continued to strum away using familiar chord progressions that all-of-a-sudden seemed new and fresh! I was totally vibing with the guitar and felt a great sense of relief in addition to a childlike glee…the Taylor sound was delicious to my ears!

Speaking of vibing…the guitar felt like it was breathing or pulsing as I played! I stopped strumming many times to touch the top with my hand and feel the vibration…in astonishment. “This thing is alive,” I thought to myself lol. I had never played such a responsive guitar before. Sure, my other guitars vibrate, but not to this degree. To be totally honest, I had to stop playing a few times because the vibrations travelling up the neck to my fretting hand were causing a tickling sensation…something I’m starting to get used to after having the guitar for a few weeks. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase! In addition to the sound, the build quality and playability are fantastic, no complaints there. The guitar has just the right amount of decorative enhancements to be appreciated, without being too blingy! The rosewood pickguard is probably my favourite detail…subtle, but it makes me smile every time I see it.

To wrap up, this guitar has inspired me to take my playing in a new direction. I’ve just started to learn fingerstyle…what a humbling experience to say the least. Missed notes, sore fingers, frustration, and brain cramps are more bearable when playing on an instrument like this. It reminds me of first learning to play 30 years ago, but I’m having a blast to top it all off! Again, sorry for the long rant/story, I just wanted to share an experience that I never thought I would have. All that I ask is that everyone refrain from telling me about their $10k+ custom builds that would blow my mind even more…maybe someday 😊

Cheers!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:17 AM

HEY, that’s awesome man! Thanks for sharing your story with us. As someone who is currently saving for a 614ce, I can totally relate- I watched a couple reviews and articles about Andy Powers’ re-voicing endeavors and I was very much impressed. I can also relate in another aspect, which is – this is a guitar which would usually be quite deeply outside my price range at $3,000+; my most expensive guitar previously, I paid 1800 for (USD). . All the same, I am saving for it and quite excited as I grow closer to my goal. I will likely buy used to get that price down, saving somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand dollars by doing so. I will be looking for a 2016 or 2017.

I enjoyed reading your reaction to the guitar and its “aliveness”. Many people don’t like the Taylor sound, but personally, with a few exceptions I love it. They can sound thin or bright on their lower end models, but in the upper tier instruments, I rarely get any brightness. Anyway, that’s all subjective, of course – the important thing is that you love it!!! Congratulations. This makes me look forward to my NGD in the future. If it’s something that will inspire you, and get you to play more, and more inspired – then it was money well spent and worth every penny.

Anyway, congratulations, I hope you have many days together and your love will burn long and bright, to the end of your days. Amen LOL
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 03-23-2018, 08:25 AM

Huge congrats! I had an pre-revoiced 816ce and the sound was as full and satisfying as you describe. As a newbie though, the medium gauge strings and extra size in the bout was just enough to ultimately get me to down size to a grand auditorium. I would revisit a GS now with a few years under my belt however. Best of luck with it!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I've got a new-to-me-but-in-store-for-a-while 814CE with an Adi top. It's the model with the wooden pickguard. That guitar is loud, punchy and everything you said. Nothing at all surprises me about your experience. Enjoy and play the heck out of it!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Nice story of your experience, thanks for posting.

I understand the emotions of importing a guitar from the US to Canada. A lot is involved, as you noted. My experiences have been positive, and like you, got top end gear at a small fraction of new price. The used instruments available in the US is amazing.

Enjoy your new instrument
Post pics if you can (I use postimage.org as I had trouble getting pics onto this site)

Casey
various basses and uprights
Old 03-23-2018, 10:46 AM

Great story lobo. I love reading about the initial reactions from people when they get something special in their hands.
Those are great moments. Enjoy it for a long time.
Congrats on a beautiful instrument.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the replies...I've added a few pics. It's pretty tough to get good pictures when the guitar itself is so reflective. Hope you enjoy anyw

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion