The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayback View Post
I bought my first guitar a couple of months ago, a Blue Ridge BR-40. It played and sounded better than several more expensive guitars in the shop. The finish is excellent and very little set up was needed. I'm very satisfied with my choice and look forward to playing it every day.
Hi Grayback. Welcome to the forum. Did you find that guitar in Sonora? I am looking for a place to look at Blue Ridge guitars.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM

Live Oak Music in Sonora carries Blue Ridge. Not a huge selection but there was a BR-40 and a BR-60 there last week. No website,
but they're on Facebook.

Last edited by grayback; 03-22-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:13 PM

Those "cheesy" headstocks have proven to be a good marketing gimmick for Saga. It's very thin sheets of pearl glued on the headstock and finished over. It's sometimes called "onlay".
Old 03-25-2018, 10:10 AM

After considerable thought and reading your comments, I have a question....

What is the real differences between a BR-42, BR-43, and BR-63?

They all have very similar specs.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticWoody View Post
After considerable thought and reading your comments, I have a question....

What is the real differences between a BR-42, BR-43, and BR-63?

They all have very similar specs.

They’re pretty different, actually. They all have the same size 000/OM body, but the 42 has 12 frets clear of the body (the others have 14), the 43 (like the 42) has laminate mahogany back and side, and the 63 has laminate rosewood back and side, along with different binding, inlay, and purfling from the others.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:01 AM

The differences in Blueridge guitars is very broad. but i would not begin to compare them to a 000x series or mini taylor as they have little in common.
If yo uare looking for a laminte B&S because of price, I suggest you get a higher end used one, if yo uare concerned about using solid woods due to environmental issues I wouldnt worry, they coat them pretty thick ( The real fun begins when you get into the "A" series (143A,163A,183A)These models have wider necks and string spacing, not to mention adirondack tops (I think the 73 does as wellbbut laminate B&S)
in 12 fret models the BR142/162 and the small cannons BR-341/361 lose the adi top but keep the 1-3/4 (1-7/8 on the 341/361) nut and wider spacing at saddle.

The models listed are really the only guitars you want to be looking at by blueridge (or the larger counterparts (140A,160A, etc...)

should be able to get a 143A or 163A used in the $400-$600 range and I can assure you that they will outperform any road series martin or modern 16 standard models at a fraction of the price.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 AM

Bought a BR-162 from Maury last month and I love the 12 fretter. Great deal and service from Maury. This 000 is loud and is a blast to play. Well worth the money.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:24 AM

Hi all,
I'm reviving this old thread as I've played a Blueridge guitar and been very impressed.
I'm still very much a beginner but am slowly progressing and wanted to treat myself to a nice acoustic. My holy grail is a 000-28 (I've tried so many other guitars and heard nothing that matches it) but it's way out of my price range and in the UK has actually gone up £500 since I've been looking in the last 6 months.
I've also discovered Auden (a UK brand made by same people as Gordon SMith electric guitars) which were the closest warm sound I'd heard to Martin but they have also increased in price out of my range.
I was really impressed by the BR-163 I tried from Blueridge (a nice warm bassy sound like Auden in the same direction as Martin) and I'm going to try the BR-143 this week to compare the sound of mahogany vs rosewood. Disappointing that no case/gig bag comes with them and sadly the dealer is not prepared to do anything price wise. They are both just shy of £1k (strange as in other countries the BR-143 is about 20-30% cheaper than the BR-163 which is also consistent with other brands mahogany vs rosewood models). Only one UK dealer ( a strange albeit friendly place) so I guess they can do what they want.
Any input, very welcome as I'm acutely aware that I'm still very much a novice!
Old 09-25-2022, 10:59 AM

Hi Rob.
I posted a reply about this back in 2018.
Blueridge guitar have taken a back seat to Eastman guitars sense this was first posted.
Both companies are producing very good guitars and compete well against each other.

If you are set on the Blueridge and the BR-143 is almost the same price as the BR-163, I would suggest going with the BR-163.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:18 PM

Probably not a lot of help, but I played a fellow camper's Blue ridge dread at a festival last June. Don't know the year or model but I liked it. Nice chunky neck. Good volume.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Hi Rob.
I posted a reply about this back in 2018.
Blueridge guitar have taken a back seat to Eastman guitars sense this was first posted.
Both companies are producing very good guitars and compete well against each other.

If you are set on the Blueridge and the BR-143 is almost the same price as the BR-163, I would suggest going with the BR-163.
Thanks. I was very sold on Eastman from reviews and they look incredible quality. I was convinced I'd buy the E8-OM TC but when I played it, firstly it sounded so much brighter than I'd hoped but, secondly, it didn't "fit" me. By "fit" I mean I felt cramped around it. I checked the scale length was the same as the Martin but I think the issue was that the curve where it rests on your leg (sorry I don't know the proper name) is closer to the neck that Martin (and Blueridge, Auden and Sigma which I subsequently tried) so the frets are closer to your body. I've never heard anyone else say this so it's probably a quirk in my body geometry. Shame, as the Eastman was a beautiful guitar and I was so looking forward to owning one but it just didn't feel right...

I feel foolish when I'll need to pay so much for a Blueridge compared to US prices but this is rip-off Britain, as they call it, so I'll just have to swallow it. Part of me is thinking get a payment plan for a Martin over a year and you're really making an investment but with my level of playing it would be ridiculous - taking out a beautiful Martin only to not be able to master a barre chord change lol. Also I'd be constantly worried about damaging it.

Still, I love the sound of the Blueridge and this week will make my choice (point noted about 163 over 143 at same price - thanks!). Also it's something different. They are very very rare here. I expect one of the larger stores (equivalent to Sweetwater in the US) will eventually stock them and then prices will drop although, in fairness, the solid bodies are roughly the same price as the equivalent Eastman, Auden and SIgmas especially when you take account of the gigbag/case cost.

Now I just have to learn to play
Old 09-25-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Probably not a lot of help, but I played a fellow camper's Blue ridge dread at a festival last June. Don't know the year or model but I liked it. Nice chunky neck. Good volume.
Thanks Mandobart. It is helpful. As they are so unknown here, it's good to get feedback to reassure me I'm not buying a really poor guitar. All reviews are good and they seem to have an excellent reputation in America which reassures me. Cheers
Old 09-26-2022, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob 1963 View Post
Thanks Mandobart. It is helpful. As they are so unknown here, it's good to get feedback to reassure me I'm not buying a really poor guitar. All reviews are good and they seem to have an excellent reputation in America which reassures me. Cheers

Blueridges are very good for the money if you get a good one . Like any guitar there can be some that are not so great .

Having 3 Blues and regularly follow Blueridge threads there’s an equal number of issues verses pros .

Ok so you need to ask all the right questions .
One issue is CS customer service many have issues recently not getting things resolved .

So look into the warranty and how things are handled if something requires it .

Make sure your dealer has a return option if you end up not liking it .

Things to check
Fit and finish . Look at all the joints ,seems etc .
Check finish for any flaws .

Check the neck angle and check fingerboard straightness .

Check fret ends for sharp edges .

So this doesn’t mean that Blueridge has any issues that other manufacturers don’t have they all do but getting a good on will make feel better . Lol

Blues have had some bridge lift issues even one of mine . So it’s another thing to look into/ go over with your dealer .

If this your first all solid wood guitar get your humidity control on. Your guitar will love you and you will love your guitar !and will help prevent issues down the road ! Lol [emoji23]

Lastly don’t let anything I say scare you off blues are great guitars . I have a fair verity of guitars to compare them to and nothing has really out played them yet or crushed them in the tone department.

I just want you to make sure you cover all the bases so your fully happy ! Play on ! [emoji4]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 09-26-2022, 05:09 AM

Im in the UK as well and I would definitely check out the all solid sigma's as well as blueridge they are superb and many are very much in the Martin vein.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 09-26-2022, 06:34 AM

You could also check out Richwood guitars, a dutch company. They make fine guitars. I bougt a D-40 solid top as a holyday guitar and it is has great sound and playability for the money. I gave 470 euros. Their more expensive all solid woods are cheaper than Blueridge guitars. I have owned three Blueridge and they were fine, but you can get the same/even better value with these Richwoods for less money.
https://richwoodguitars.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion