The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 05:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great line, Mick, and absolutely true. "Black or something ugly." A saying for the ages.

sm
Old 03-24-2018, 01:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That may be it. I know it was a very small difference, but it was there.
Kerbie, I always go far more off what our players tell me, as opposed to my own opinions. "Transparency," as HHP calls it, might well be the best adjective. Another report we hear frequently is that the black cuts through the mix better a little better than the brown. This can become a distinct advantage when, for instance, playing ensemble Bluegrass, especially if there's a banjo within a thousand yards.

The black material comes from a related molecular family to the brown, Kerbie, so that's why you're hearing a lot of tonal similarities.

The great news, as Mick and I have been discussing on the board, is that there are literally more than a HUNDRED (100) engineering thermoplastics on the market that have never been made into guitar picks, by anyone. Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks appears to have found another new one, also in black. So we're at the very beginning of an exciting journey in the next evolution of the guitar pick.

Fun to discuss.......

scott
Old 03-24-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Kerbie, I always go far more off what our players tell me, as opposed to my own opinions. "Transparency," as HHP calls it, might well be the best adjective. Another report we hear frequently is that the black cuts through the mix better a little better than the brown. This can become a distinct advantage when, for instance, playing ensemble Bluegrass, especially if there's a banjo within a thousand yards.

The black material comes from a related molecular family to the brown, Kerbie, so that's why you're hearing a lot of tonal similarities.

The great news, as Mick and I have been discussing on the board, is that there are literally more than a HUNDRED (100) engineering thermoplastics on the market that have never been made into guitar picks, by anyone. Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks appears to have found another new one, also in black. So we're at the very beginning of an exciting journey in the next evolution of the guitar pick.

Fun to discuss.......

scott
All that development into new plastics, and formaldehyde and milk still holds its own.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Harry, I couldn't agree more. As a player, I always reach first for a red or flame. I still own and (rarely) play genuine TS picks, which never leave my house anymore but which we will always use as our reference standard. The main difference is that you can make a genuine TS pick thinner than a casein one, without having to worry about chipping and cracking.

But, yes, totally agree, Harry. The other materials have their place, clearly, especially in terms of durability and wear characteristics, but the casein is just stunning in its warmth, balance and quietness across the strings.

thanks!

scott
Old 03-24-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Harry, I couldn't agree more. As a player, I always reach first for a red or flame. I still own and (rarely) play genuine TS picks, which never leave my house anymore but which we will always use as our reference standard. The main difference is that you can make a genuine TS pick thinner than a casein one, without having to worry about chipping and cracking.

But, yes, totally agree, Harry. The other materials have their place, clearly, especially in terms of durability and wear characteristics, but the casein is just stunning in its warmth, balance and quietness across the strings.

thanks!

scott
And, by the way, you need to change the name of the Red. Mine is more of a burnt umber.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Harry, you're so difficult. Actually, I would have called it "burgundy," which is the closest, but then you have a "b" at the end of the model number which we use for different things.

The "flame" color could have also be called "orange," but we had gotten it down to "fire" or "flame."

sm

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-31-2018 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Edited advertising
Old 03-30-2018, 04:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
And, by the way, you need to change the name of the Red. Mine is more of a burnt umber.
HHP: No can do. Wait till you see the custom colors we have coming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion