The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Looks like you are off to a great start. I like the bindings etc. all being bent at the same time, should be a perfect fit that way...is that always done that way and I just never noticed? The koa should look great, the more I look at that BRW, the more in love I fall.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks like you are off to a great start. I like the bindings etc. all being bent at the same time, should be a perfect fit that way...is that always done that way and I just never noticed? The koa should look great, the more I look at that BRW, the more in love I fall.

Tom- I don’t know if others bend the bindings at the same time as the sides. I’m sure some do, because it makes life a lot easier. The real advantage is that you can create the complex compound curves of the back if you pre-shape your sides.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Hey Ben! Met you at woodstock this year, played one of your guitars for a while. Really very nice! Wasn't aware that you went to Berklee, I did as well!

Also, hey Mike! Excited to watch this one come together.

Happy Thanksgiving!

A Berklee man! What did you study there? I loved the time I spent there.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
A Berklee man! What did you study there? I loved the time I spent there.
I studied guitar performance and music business. Graduated just in time for the record industry to completely crash (wah wah). Sooo I work in software/tech now, but certainly enjoyed my time at Berklee. Amazing collection of talented people.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Tom, thank you! I too love this wood. I'm fortunate that Ben was able to offer it to me. And thank you for the introduction to Ben. I should have mentioned that before, but certainly you deserve the credit for the intro. As a result, and as a way to say thank you again, you will always have the option to play it ANYTIME you come to my home to visit

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 11-27-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

This will be great watching all come together, GOOD choice, I met Ben and played his guitars at the SBAIC Show, I Loved them, I was very impressed, and Ben was a supper cool fellow too.... Ben, you the Man
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
This will be great watching all come together, GOOD choice, I met Ben and played his guitars at the SBAIC Show, I Loved them, I was very impressed, and Ben was a supper cool fellow too.... Ben, you the Man
Yep, they say Ben can sing too . Apparently at Woodstock you got to experience his skill on the strings AND hear some of his vocal chops.

Ben sent me a series of pics of the build process of the neck. This isn't all of them, but it is some of them. This guitar build is moving along at a solid pace. This one could possibly set an AGF record of some kind for time from start to finish...we'll see. Frankly, not that I necessarily want to set a record, but all of us love to get a guitar done vs. laboring over a build for a LONG time. And yet, half of the fun of a build IS the build itself...having something CUSTOM built just for you....engaging with the builder...building a friendship. These are all essential elements of a custom build. Otherwise, we just buy a Taylor and be done with it huh??

Here 's a few:

The layout

The Stacked Heel

Heel blocks numbered before cutting. A proper orientation of these make for the best look.

Cutting the primary profile and volute with the World’s Scariest Router Bit.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Well, I don't think I come anywhere close to Taylor-like efficiency, but I do tend to go pretty hard at it. Especially the box itself can come together very fast, but then things slow to a deathly slow crawl when it comes to finish. I generally estimate about 20 days to build the guitars, and another 20 to 30 for finish and cure.

I love the relationship building, too. Getting to know a customer, and them more often than not ending up as a friend is one of the great pleasures of my solitary, antisocial, shop dwelling existence. So I'll do my best to drag it out, Mike!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Talking

I had Ben build a guitar a two years ago. I got the Lion model and the guitar is just awesome. Really, there just aren't words. When I let someone play it the most common response is, "wow". Then after another play they stop and say, "wow". Repeat several times. His work is impeccable and I cherish this instrument every time I pull it out of the case.

I posted a NGD thread when I got it but I just looked and see the pics don't show up anymore. I think they were on whatever host site that has since changed somehow. But there were some good comments on there.

I've not met Ben in person but have had plenty of contact with him. Really helpful, personable and friendly guy. Good jokester which I admire. Occasionally I just drop an email to say how much I love my guitar. In fact receintly I performed a self-CRE and created a slight problem to my cherished instrument and I'll be sending it back to, as Ben put it, the mothership for some proper attention. (I think I'll have him jack it up and put some Cragers and wide slicks on there too. That's a joke for the demographic of us that will remember doing such things)

I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with your guitar when he FINALLY finishes it. But it'll be worth the wait, I guarantee you.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you John! Very kind words. We shouldn't forget Glasspacks and a hood mounted tach when we do your upgrades.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Movin' and groovin' ...Ben sent me some additional updates of progress. Here are some photos of some of the internal stuff, and of course Ben's signature rosette. One top photo "naked" and one with the joy juice applied

First some of the inside story:

Now for that Rosette:

Last edited by invguy921; 11-30-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Look at that top. That guitar is gonna knock your socks off Mike.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitarre View Post
Look at that top. That guitar is gonna knock your socks off Mike.
Thank you John! Yes, I love the unique coloring in Sinker and this guitar has a lot of promise of being a winner! Hope so!

Old 12-02-2017, 06:26 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

More progress!! Wow...I'm happily stunned by the pace of things.

Ben sent me a bunch of progress pics, these are only a few of them. One of the first pics you see below had this caption: "My deflection gauge. This allows me to get fairly consistent results while using many different species of wood with different physical properties."

Also of note is the bracing on the Redwood top is Redwood. The bracing on the back is Englemann. He said this "Redwood braces. Not common, but I test all my brace-stock, and this particular board was incredibly stiff and light, and performs better than most of my spruce. I wish I had more. Back braced with engelmann. Why engelmann? Again, light and stiff, and a pleasure to behold in its creamy perfection."

Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I don't know. I don't see that as a very comfortable neck profile.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop