The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Default What can be done to fix this string issue?

I love these strings, but right now the low E has the double wrapped portion hanging over the saddle, and it's so stiff it's raising the action, like a bunch.

So how can I fix this? Some kind of spacer under the bridge plate or something like that?

Last edited by jtaylor996; 01-13-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:54 PM

Holy crap, sorry about that image being so big... I can't figure out why it won't auto-resize in this forum.

Anyways, more sane at the hosting site:
https://imgur.com/a/jL8o2

Edit: figured it out. Just put an 's' 'm' 'l' at the end of imgur links to specify the size you want. That works.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Guest 1928

Judging by the way those pins are tilted, it seems they are a poor fit to the bridge. That allows the ball end of the string to creep up past the edge of the bridge plate. You can alleviate some of that by saving the "balls" off a set of old string and slipping them over the new strings before installing them. Alternatively, you could have the bridge slotted and solid pins properly fitted. That is the better solution, and not terribly expensive if you have a good acoustic repairman close.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Judging by the way those pins are tilted, it seems they are a poor fit to the bridge. That allows the ball end of the string to creep up past the edge of the bridge plate. You can alleviate some of that by saving the "balls" off a set of old string and slipping them over the new strings before installing them. Alternatively, you could have the bridge slotted and solid pins properly fitted. That is the better solution, and not terribly expensive if you have a good acoustic repairman close.
I just got the pins last night for Colosi. The fit feels better than it looks, but I'm still evaluating things. However, the string problem was there with the other set of pins I have that fit very well. I guess I'll go stick a mirror in the hole and take a look at the plate.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM

I would make a fairly thick "plate saver", and also get some tighter-fitting pins.

Here's one of my plate savers:

That is 1.2 mm aluminium alloy, but plastic (eg polycarbonate) or timber could be used.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 PM

Here's what the bridge plate looks like:

I don't see anything crazy going on there. This string might just have a long overwrap section?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 PM

Maybe slide some small beads on the string ball-end and feed the string up from inside the guitar when you do a re-string?
A sort of steel-string version of this nylon string set-up?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-13-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I don't see anything crazy going on there. This string might just have a long overwrap section?
To me, it looks like the ball ends are digging excessively into the bridge plate. A plate saver of some sort may be what's needed.

Those strings look pretty heavy. What gauge are they? I wonder if it would help to first give the string a good bend where it meets the saddle and then put it back in place?
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's

Last edited by Wooly; 01-13-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
To me, it looks like the ball ends are digging excessively into the bridge plate. A plate saver (Plate Mate) may be what's needed.

Those strings look pretty heavy. What gauge are they? I wonder if it would help to give the string a good bend where it meets the saddle and then put it back in place?

I agree with this statement.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyfish View Post
I agree with this statement.
Which one? The plate saver or the bend it with pliers part?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM

Also, I checked the new pins. Shaft measures identical on the new pins as the old one. The heads are smaller and I get a flusher fit with the original plastic pins, but I can't figure out why when I have the calipers out.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Something put a kink into that string, that's now a permanent deformation above the saddle. I'm guessing you cranked up the string tension and then it suddenly slipped? If so, maybe make sure the ball end of the string is fully settled before winding the other end and tightening it. That way it won't slip after you've already put a kink into the string.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 01-13-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Which one? The plate saver or the bend it with pliers part?

Sorry, the plate saver should help on both accounts. If the plate saver keeps the strings down in the hole correctly, you may not have a need for the pliers.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I had a guitar many years ago that had this issue. My solution was to slide a couple of the "ball end" rings from old strings over the low e string and then feed it up through the bottom when I restrung. It wasn't an elegant solution but it solved the problem for me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

You haven't told us what strings you're using - brand and gauge. I've had strings where the wrap extended an excessive amount and contacted the saddle on the 6th string - I think they were 'Thro'back' mediums. I slipped a ball from an old string on to the offending 'E' string, which pulled it back far enough for the wind to miss the saddle.

Also, those ball-ends look to be badly-aligned and some are creeping up the holes. Could be that the plate is worn, perhaps? I always align the ball-ends north/south so that the groove in the ball contacts the pin.

The saddle looks pretty low to me, and appears to be leaning towards the sound-hole, although that could just be an illusion from the photo.

I'd suggest it's time to get thee hence to a good tech or luthier, and have the whole thing checked out.

Disclaimer: I'm not a luthier or a tech, I'm just an enthusiastic guitar-lover, and the above is strictly IMHO. YMMV.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion