The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 PM

Default Matte/Satin Varnish Finish?

Have you ever finished a guitar using matte/satin varnish? I finish using either Ace hardware 276 (sexauer varnish) or epifanes, both glossy. Both brands make satin/matte versions as well.

Is there a different approach to final sanding and buffing of matte finishes? This is a new world for me but I'm building a Roy smeck now and the owner is thinking matte.

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts!!!

Sam
Old 10-30-2017, 07:07 PM

I am doing a few low buck builds, or in other words I do not want to spend the time doing a fancy finish. I am using a Clear Satin wipe on poly and it looks pretty good even with being wiped on. I did spray the stuff on a guitar once and it seemed to work ok.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 AM

Thx Fred! Laurent brondel, master varnisher-luthier, emailed me back yesterday and suggested that getting a good gloss finish with varnish is hard enough and thus satin would be that much more difficult. He suggests just doing the tried and true method using same gloss varnish but just wet sand to the preferred sheen.

So that's what homie gonna do!

But I do wonder if the diffusers in satin give it a richer/better satin look than just wet sanded gloss?

Sam

Last edited by Sam VanLaningham; 10-31-2017 at 11:04 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair