The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu7s View Post
Before I give up from buying another D-Jr would like to see if someone could take some pictures with a ruler placed in the top of the frets to the top of the bridge for comparison.
Please D Jr owners, show us a pic of your guitar with a ruler (or something else straight)...
Old 11-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin D-Jr Neck angle, etc..

just get another one then have it thoroughly checked out by a trusted tech. There really isn't a need to compare to others' measures as they may be slightly different one tick or another. Your tech will know what is sound, solid and viable.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 AM

Default Happy owner

I played 11 Dread Juniors at 4 different stores in the UK before I chose mine. All were good and I bought the one with the best (for me) tone and feel. It needed a good setup and I fitted my preferred 12s strings. 5-6 months of daily playing later and it's feeling and sounding better than ever.

Superb guitar and, pound for UK pound, probably the best 6 stringed purchase I've made.

thegazza
Old 11-22-2015, 01:36 PM

Default Done

My main problem is that I can't hold it in my hands before I buy.
I am concerned to receive another one with issues, this weekend I visited the official dealer from Martin in Portugal they had the amazing total of 5 guitars.
I laugh when I have seen users with more Martin´s guitars at home then a official dealer, back to the point, they could order one for me to try but the price will be 130€ higher. 820€ don't seems a good deal to me for a D Jr.

Time to move on, will start looking for a different brand.

Thank you for all the help!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin D-Jr Neck angle, etc..

I have bought many Martin guitars sight unheard and haven't had any problems. I don't understand why the original dealer could not get you a brand new replacement at the same price. Sorry yours didn't work out. Good luck on your new search.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 AM

I realize I'm addressing an old thread here but I'd like to add my experience and hope for some advice. (Sorry for the rather lengthy post!)

I, like the OP, also live in a place where I can't try a guitar before buying, so there's no possibility of doing any comparing. The first Jr. I bought was a used one from GC and, although I thought it sounded great, the action was high, even after lowering the saddle. I finally thought to check the neck angle and the straight edge was maybe a 1/16 low to the top of the bridge.

I sent it back and replaced it with a brand new one. The first thing I did after taking it out of the box was check the neck angle. It was perfect with the straight edge lining up exactly with the top of the bridge.

After a couple days of playing it I began to notice again that the action seemed rather high. I checked the neck angle and sure enough it was now off as much as the used one I returned. I can only assume that, because the wood on the Jr. is only hand rubbed and not coated with a poly or nitro coating, it must be very susceptible to humidity. In my house, even in the winter cold, we always have about 65% humidity so the guitar belly must swell easily.

Using a dehumidifier I've now kept the guitar in about 52% humidity for a few days but it still hasn't changed the neck angle. I'm a little afraid of drying it out too much but I'm not sure what else to try. Even if I manage to correct the neck angle it seems that I'll have to be very careful to keep it from happening again.

Being that I had this happen on two different guitars I have to think it wasn't a fluke and I'm not real happy thinking that this guitar is going to be so delicate that I'll be afraid of taking it anywhere but a climate controlled room.

Anyone else have a similar experience or any advice?
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM

Default neck woes

Seems to me as if this neck angle stuff with Nazareth's premier guitar maker is getting REALLY old. A problem based on 'tradition' which might have worked well for bespoke bench-made instruments but seems to be a bigger deal when mass production in a factory environment is involved.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion