The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 PM

Default "It can't be done" - Volume #2

Here's a little $4K gem from Jim Triggs:

http://www.triggsguitars.com/#!forsale/c1ke5
Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 PM

That guitar is actually at Umanov Guitars now:

http://www.umanovguitars.com/store/i...gs-16-archtop/

It was for sale last year when I bought my 18" archtop from Jim. I feel the need to share here once again that my Triggs is one of the best archtops I've ever played, and I've played and owned a lot. It speaks to me like no other archtop that I've owned has.

That 16" is gorgeous, and an absolute deal. Unlike the last thread like this that discussed the guitars of a relatively new builder (not to take anything away from his guitars), Mr. Triggs is a well known pillar of the archtop community. The fact that it's possible to buy a new Triggs archtop for under $4k is amazing. Someone should jump on that, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with that purchase.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Here's a little $4K gem from Jim Triggs:

http://www.triggsguitars.com/#!forsale/c1ke5
Hi Steve,
On the Triggs web site, he seems to contradict himself by stating that hand carved arch tops start at $5000. It's only after reading the description at Matt's (for the same guitar) that says it actually is solid/carved.

A very, very nice instrument, and even more appealing at that price! I would replace the tuning pegs & tailpiece with something less clunky looking, but still a fabulous value!

Thanks for posting this!

HE
Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Some thoughts:

There are luthiers out there who build archtop guitars from about $1,000 to $50,000 and beyond. Pricing variability has to do with six different factors that I see:
  • LOCATION: Their location which relates to the luthier’s cost of living (e.g. China has lower costs than USA for example). Even within a country cost of living can vary wildly.
  • HOURS /FIXED SHOP COSTS: Their cost structure based on their build approach (e.g. use of CNC, assistants/interns, some also have other have income sources). This translates to hours at the bench, the cost per hour of the hands and the level of investment into shop equipment.
  • FEATURES: Addition of time related features like cutaways and inlays can add costs. Some luthiers will build you something totally bespoke and others stick to specific models that they are fixtured for and customize by wood quality and trim.
  • MATERIALS: The quality of the woods and hardware that they use. Premium woods and hardware will drive up costs of an instrument.
  • EXPERIENCE/REPUTATION: Their level of experience and reputation. Experience can also translate to efficiency in build practice. This is the wildcard multiplier on costs.
  • MARKET: The time value of money (when a spec. guitar doesn’t sell quickly). If a guitar doesn’t sell, builders and retailers will discount it.
So depending on the combination of the above, you can find a carved archtop guitar within a broad range of prices.

As you said, Jim and Ryan Triggs have an established reputation as luthiers of archtop guitars. This guitar likely represents an excellent value due to poor market conditions for someone in the market for a smaller sized, non-cutaway acoustic archtop.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Here's one in the contemporary 17" wide/3" deep/1.75" neck category:

http://www.archtop.com/ac_14nezil_415.html

Seems like lotsa nice stuff out there for $4K...

Just sayin'...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops