The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2002, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up Report from Saturday visit to Taylor dealer

Had the opportunity to spend about an hour or so at a local dealer, actually one that I've visited before. I casually strolled in and picked what I thought was a "standard" 714ce. So, I sat down and went through my usual "guitar check" repertoire (Dust In The Wind, Big Road Blues, an original lick or two)...and this Taylor sounded, I dunno, different. Was is more bass? Louder? Puzzled, I looked at it carefully....ahh, it was a 714ce-Limited! Wow! Gorgeous 3-piece back to match a beautiful sound. Interestingly, the price was not much more that a "Standard" 714ce. I was totally impressed. Oh, and it was a cedar top, BTW. I'm still chasing the elusive 714ce with E spruce top.

Also tried a few other Limiteds, including a 314ce and a 414ce. Both very very nice. I'm not so sure I liked the coloring on this particular 414, but it sounded great.

Lastly, I tried a Taylor 355-12 string. Now this was my first experience with a Taylor 12 string, and let me tell you, all the things I've read about Taylor 12 strings do not do this guitar justice. I'm no Kottke, but even a hack like me was sliding Am form barre chords up and down the fretboard. I was stunned. Beyond belief, really. When I got back home, I picked up my 12 string [another brand]...what a disappointment after playing the Taylor!

So, all in all, a great way to spend a Saturday morning. Kudos to Alto Music in Wappingers Falls, NY. Nice acoustic room, friendly staff (who leave you alone to play), and very good prices. I hope to be back next week.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:36 AM

Sounds cool, Guitar Dad. You're right about that 355, and what a value it is, too!

BTW, I don't know why I never noticed your location before. I went to SUNY New Paltz back in the 70s and drove to or thru Wappinger's Falls many times. That's a beautiful area, and I often feel that I've been away too long.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:48 AM

Cool You're right. I forgot to mention...

...the 355 12 string is indeed an excellent value. The playability of this model is enough to justify the price, especially against other, more expensive twelve strings.

Yes, we enjoy living here. We experience all seasons, are in a rural area, yet close enough to shopping, New York City, etc. But, the recent mild weather (53 degrees today) has my lawn and shrubbery quite confused! This year, our family vacation will be a driving tour of the Hudson Valley, and New Paltz is on the itenarary.

Most importantly, I have 3 Taylor dealers within 30 minutes drive from my house, and several more will be included in our vacation/tour!

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification