The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2002, 01:42 PM

Default clear pick guard

Hi. I'm new to this site and a new Taylor owner. Used to think my D35 was great but my new K13CE is absolutely awesome. Not enough adjectives to describe it. My concern and question is about the fact that it does not have a pick guard. I've never had a guitar without one before and am worried that the beautiful Engleman top will be damaged. I play both with a flat pick and fingerstyle. Should I request a clear pick guard from Taylor or not? Your opinions and thanks in advance. P.S. I'm playing a lot cause I'm stuck inside. It's -25 C or -12 F in my town in Canada.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:44 PM

Sorry about the typo. My Taylor is a K14CE.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Welcome to the forum!
The K14C is a great guitar!
As far as the pick guard...if you are going to occaisionally use a flatpick I would definitely reccommend some type of pickguard. The clear ones are a nice alternative but are pretty much a permanent application. You could get a product called "picnxr"
which is a clear plastic that adheres to the surface of the guitar to protect the surface but it comes right off. you can put it on and take it back off as often as you like with no fear of damage to the guitar.
I think there is a thread about it on the forum here someplace if you care to do a search.

Stay Warm,
Old 01-22-2002, 03:59 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I have a '98 K14c with a cedar top. I am mostly a strummer and wanted to be able to use this guitar for all types of music, but was afraid of hurting the top. I called Taylor and they sent me both a clear and a tortoise pick guard. I think that the shape of Taylor's guard is very cool and advertises that I play the best guitar made. I held both up to the guitar and decided that the tortoise would look great. I had it installed professionally because I am not that good with that sort of thing. It looks great! I play the heck out of it.

I do agree that some sort of guard would be good. The removable one is fine, but I like mine with the tortoise guard. Good luck with your decision.

MJH
Old 01-24-2002, 01:42 PM

I've been wondering the same thing about getting a pickguard for my black 614ce ltd. I don't want to cover up any of the beautiful finish or inlays. But I also don't want to damage the finish. Being black, I am worried about scratches. I thought about a clear pickguard from taylor, but I don't think these can be removed? Anyone know anything else about "picnxr"? Been doing searches for it and have come up with nothing.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:32 PM

I bought a couple of picknxrs a while back and love em. If you can't find them (they are occasionally on ebay), you can easily make one. These clear plastic guards are essentially the same thing as those holiday decorations you peel from a paper backing and stick on your windows, ya know, like a snowflake. There's no glue, the plastic sheet simply adheres to the gloss finish and is easily removed. You can get sheets of it at an office supply store, hobby store, etc. Probably comes in different thicknesses, but practically any thickness would work.
Then, you cut it into the same shape as a Taylor guard. The picknxr came on a retangular sheet with the Taylor pickguard shape already cut. I used the extra to make a clear guard for my PRS CU22 (i have a habit of sometimes resting my fingers on the guitar while picking, and now that I've grown nails to fingerpick, well, you get the idea). Just put the guard in place when you play and remove when you're done. Easy as pie
Anyway, this is a great way to protect your top and preserve the beauty of the guitar. I hear classical guitarists have been doing this for decades, so you might ask your local guitar dealer about sources for the plastic sheets.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:31 PM

I just added a clear pick guard to my 914CE on Friday. Doesn't affect the look of the guitar or its tone. Totally painless, and I now have piece of mind when I use a plectrum.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:34 AM

The Taylor Clear pickgaurd is thin and tough. It will come off but is harder than the thick ones to remove. It is almost invisable. Look at my 710CE-LTD in the gallery to see just how hard it is to spot. I just put one on my K14C. Taylor will send it to you NO CHARGE. JW
Old 01-28-2002, 09:06 AM

Thanks for all the advise. I called Taylor and a clear guard is "in the mail".
Old 01-30-2002, 01:25 PM

Have you all been putting these clear guards on by yourselves? The folks at Taylor insist I take it to a pro to have it put on, to be sure it will be straight, have no fingerprints or air bubbles underneath, etc. But is it really that hard to put it on by yourself? I managed to take off the factory pickguard by myself, going by the info on this website (and didn't leave a scratch or speck of glue or anything behind!) . . . I don't have a car so it's nice to be able to take care of these kinds of things at home. So, hey, if anyone could share their pickguard-applying technique with me I'd appreciate it!
Old 01-30-2002, 02:36 PM

Do a search on the board. JW had some type of tape thing he did that he said worked pretty good. Seems like he said he taped it on one side with the backing still on it, then folded back, removed the backing and folded it back down. Check it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification