The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwan9 View Post
Speaking of signatures, what does Bel isi mean, Kyle? Thanks.
Literally, it means "calm belly" (it is roughly pronounced "bell easy")

Back in 2007 I spent 3 months in Papua New Guinea doing mission work. During that time I was able to learn quite a bit of Tok Pisin, an official language of PNG (one of 700+ languages there). Bel isi has just sort of become my signoff for forum and blog posts, allowing me to share a bit about it when people point it out (which is surprisingly quite rare).

More poetically, bel isi means, simply, "Peace"

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM

That's really interesting! A close friend of mine and her sister lived in PNG and went to jr high and part of HS in one of the mission town schools there.Her parents were doing the same thing in the early 90s.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
He has his seagull guitar listed in the signature line of his profile. The signature line shows up on every post, just like your quote about missing your dog.

Bel isi,
-kyle
Thanks Kyle, I did know about Signature lines, but somehow I thought he was referring to something to do with his guitar.

Dan
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 PM

thanks for all the replies. after much online scanning and deliberation online, i think i will save and shop extensively. after watching a tour of the Martin factory and reading many good things about them, i think i will play a lot of them in the process, and maybe even go with one. but we will see. im sure when im holding the right one in my hands and i hear its sweet voice, i will know it.

2007 Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo

At least a few more to come.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:13 AM

Think about what you might spend for a vehicle.....after all...your guitar may very well be your vehicle. When someone says "300.00 or 400" that may seem rather cheap considering all that the instrument may provide.

A few months back, i decided on buying a decent used car. I researched and found a fair price before i bought. You may want to do the same. I have no regrets, yet some may look at my car and judge it to be a waste of money.
You are the only one that can make that choice/ decision... best of luck...
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 AM

OK, Looks like I'll most likely get roasted for this but you MAY want to consider a new Chinese instrument. I like nice guitars and have a few including a very high dollar Lowden and a really sweet upper-end Larrivee L series.
IF you live within visiting distance of a good dealer you might want to look at guitars such as Eastman or Recording King. I recently purchased a Recording King ROS-6 12 fret 000 that I think is an absolute killer guitar. The imports ALL need a good set-up before purchase, so hence my recommendation that you MUST play in person.
Elderly did a great job on mine and I couldn't be happier with an instument selling for $300. I also purchased an Access type 3 case and put a K&K Pure Mini in it, so that added $175 to the total.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 AM

If you like Martins, be sure to check out the 15 series. I haven't tried one I didn't like yet, but I prefer Taylors. If you buy used, you might get lucky and find one for $800 but you may have to add just a bit more.

Also, thanks for sharing Kyle. That's really interesting!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
hi SJ...

$400 is what a Seagull costs, so if you intend this to be a step up, then save double or triple the cost of the Seagull.

In the meantime, I suggest you start playing guitars. My personal take is trying-before-buying (or play-before-pay) beats buy-sell at a loss-buy which many folks do frequently because they shop online.

You can really only increase your knowledge of (and appreciation for) guitars by playing a large variety of them.

Hope this helps...

I like Larry's comment. Even if you're not ready to buy, you can spend the next year or two playing as many guitars as you can in the stores. That way, you'll have a much better idea of what model, manufacturer, and price range you're looking at.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Dkwan-I recently picked up a '15-ish' Martin for a bit less than that, not including shipping. They are out there. Even so at your budget there are used instruments that will have all wood, bone nut and saddle-you just have to look around.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM

A used Baden guitar might fill the bill.....occcasionally you can find a steal on these if you look hard.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM

The beauty of owning a Seagull is you don't have to be in a hurry for the next guitar. They'll take you a long way if you do your part. Don't even start seriously shopping until you pass the $1,000 mark. In the mean time play lots of guitars. You are in a position where you can play the field.

What kind of music do you enjoy? Where do you want your guitar to take you? That's more important than which make or model.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM

I don't necessarily agree that you need to spend a lot more money. Stepping "up" might just be a matter of stepping in a new, more pleasing direction, toward a more enjoyable tone, a better fit, or an otherwise more fulfilling guitar (and this is no knock on your Seagull) Lots of wonderful guitars can be had for well under a grand. And buying used could save you a bundle.

I do however strongly agree with those who've advised you to sample far and wide. Don't buy a new guitar just cause you've got the itch to upgrade. Play around and explore different makes and models until something special comes along that really suits your hands and ears. The more you learn about guitars and your guitar needs in the meantime, the more you will appreciate that next purchase.

(400th post:woohoo!)
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Default Thanks!

I have read and agree with most of the replies. My budget is creeping up toward $500 and soon to be higher already. If it would fish me more suggestions, i would like to add that i am more attracted to smaller body styles, being a smaller person, and that i would like it to have electronics. I have absolutely no problem buying used. i am trying to shop around, but there arent many places where i live to do that. and one of the best places there is, is closing down before the new guitar center(that isnt even open yet) runs them out of business. since they are having closeout prices, its good and bad. only good if i can to pull the trigger soon. but i dont think i can at this point in my thinking. i really want something nice. thanks for all of your input.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM

I too prefer small guitars as you'll see from my signature. I recently test drove a Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo and found it to be a wonderful guitar for the price. So you should consider yourself in a win-win situation.

Given that you have this possible short-term opportunity to buy an instrument from a going-out-of-business shop, I personally would look at things this way:

1) First, how long will it take you to save up another half grand or more if you're not thrilled with your next purchase? If your savings are really dear, be more conservative. If you can recoup those savings in short order, be more liberal.

Then

2) Go to the store. Play every small body guitar in your price range, without regard to the brand or material or any other preconception you might have. Look and listen for a guitar that fits your hands and excite your ears. Don't buy anything that doesn't really inspire you. If you find a guitar that does, set it down, play a few others, come back to it. Does it really wow you? Does it feel fantastic and sound better than any other? If so, maybe pull the trigger. If not, DON'T TALK YOURSELF INTO ANYTHING. This is key. If you have to sell yourself on the guitar, it's a reach. If the guitar insists on being purchased, you won't regret it. If you don't find a guitar like that, go home, pick up that jumbo, and play it with a big smile on your face, knowing you're still $500 closer to an awesome git, whenever and however it may come.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM

Great advice. I'll do just that. As far as the money goes, im a very thrifty guy but i do work a min. wage job and pay rent. that could change soon, but no guarantees, so the money is kind of important. That's why i WONT talk myself into anything. if i make the wrong choice, it will take a while to get enough money saved to take another shot at it. but im trying to be as patient as i can with this one because i know the longer i wait and save, the sweeter that guitar is going to feel in my hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, budget, purchase, seagull