The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-15-2003, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor Poor
Livingston, when you are ready, drop Vic a line with your specs, I'm sure you can negotiate a good price. If you catch him during a lull you may be surprised
Yep, one of these days I'm gonna do it.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:54 AM

Default Three right now

One for sale on Ebay if anyone interested.

Gibson 225-T

Heritage H-158 Semi hollow, Les Paul size.

Samick RL-4 wine Red - on Ebay.
Gibson 490-r and 490-t pickups.
Fit and finish are awesome on this guitar.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:40 AM

Cotten-- If you're talking about an acoustic archtop, I strongly recommend getting a used one from the '40s or '50s (they truly don't make 'em like they used to). The less-fancy ones can be had for that price range. If you want I'll send you a couple web addresses for used dealers.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 05-15-2003, 11:24 AM

I own a 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II.
Natural finish, gold hardware, vine-heastock and triangle-fretboard inlay!! Beautiful guitar!!

With regards, to the sound... its not an Gibson ES335... but it gets me by!! Absolutely love my guit....

Unfortunately, I may have to part with it in order to get my full-sized taylot
60th Anniversary Fender Jazz Bass
Old 05-16-2003, 06:51 AM

I have a '58 Gretsch New Yorker archtop. My Dad bought it used for me to take guitar lessons when I was around 13. It's a beauty in dark sunburst. I added a floating Lindy Fralin pickup a couple of years ago.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cotten
I've kinda gotten interested in an inexpensive archtop electric lately, though my Taylor will remain my first grab. What do you guys think is the best value in a sub-$700 archtop? Is an Epiphone Sheraton worthy of consideration? Some decent looking used ones have gone on eBay recently for around $350....

cotten
Hey Cotten,

I happened to come across a used Sheraton yesterday at my local store. I plugged it in and played it for a while. Sounded beautiful. Had one mini floating humbucker. There was a little buzzing in the body but I'm sure it could have been remedied. Anyway, the guitar had a very classic, full, sweet sound. Thought I was in an elevator for a minute. It seems you should be able to find a used one for less than your specified price.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Best regards,
Old 05-16-2003, 08:01 AM

Sorry to belabor the issue, but I happened to be at Harmony Central and found some user reviews on the Artcore AF75 and the AG75.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...z/AF75-01.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...z/AG75-01.html

Sounds like they could be decent, cheap guitars...
Old 05-17-2003, 01:08 AM

Thanks, everyone! As you can tell, I don't know much about archtops, or anything else for that matter.... Sounds like there are several models worth investigating, even in the low price range. I probably wouldn't play it often, but it would add a whole new color to my musical tapestry.

I know, I know. I should be saving every penny for that Cotten Taylor 612c that will one cay be mine. But I can't help but think what a nice addition an archtop would be, even if it's not high end.

cotten
Old 05-24-2003, 11:25 PM

Hi Cotten,

I just found this website for Aria Pro. Some inexpensive archtops in both electric and acoustic styles. I'm going to try and find a local dealer who may stock these guitars, just to see if they are decent sounding, inexpensive guitars.

http://www.ariausa.com/titles/fa/fa.html
Old 05-26-2003, 01:49 AM

Thanks, Liv! I hope to do a little investigating on my own in the next few days. Still not sure I'm serious, but I'm certainly enjoying a whole new facet of guitars. Well, for me, anyway. I look forward to hearing what you discover.

cotten
Old 05-26-2003, 07:40 AM

Lets see, I have a '38 Gibson L-50, at least I think it's a '38 by the Gibson headstock script because there is no serial number. There's a '54 Maccaferi (the plastic ones) that was purchased new from Mandolin Bros. in the '80's (they came across some in a wearhouse). I use it as a high string for recording. And there's a '69 Gibson ES 150-D That belonged to Al Casey. He put on gold hardware, an L-5 tailpiece and fashioned a fancier pickguard and I retrofitted Kluson tuners. The 150 plays itself.

I'll always be looking for my two stolen archtops:
1945 Gibson L-5 98534
1954 Gibson L-50 1742-14
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Default My Archtops

I have a Harmony Rocket, goldtop pickups dated 6-17-64, recently set up by John Grey, Washburn Wi. Those pickups have such a distinctive twang, amazing through a Dr Z carman Ghia as well as my other small recording amps. I gig it occaisionally, but prefer my G&L tele or my new home made Tele with an Ancient Kauri body and a Gretsch pickup. I also have the carcass of a mid '50s Kay that when the neck joint failed set up with an extension nut and keep in dobro hi G tuning. Strictly for recording, it has a quiet but very sweet voice. For lap steel I usually gig a 55 Fender 6 string or an early Oahu Thats black w/ yellow paint, very feral. For bottleneck I turn to an Indonesian Kay in double drop D, best slide tuning EVER!!! Those pickups are absolutely in need of an exorcism!!!
And no, 20 guitars is not enough!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Default Washburn

Just like to throw out there that the Washburn HB series is a really cheap but quality guitar..I often play a non-cutaway HB-15 that I picked up used for less than 2 bills...made some mods..changed the bridge and put a P90 in it...those changes along with a good set up and I still have only 5 bills into it and frankly it sounds fantastic...Does it compare to an L5 ...nope not even close but its a heck of a value in my eyes..

2004 Martin D41
2006 Guild D40

"The Future of Whistling"......Daniel Duncan
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM

I've got an ES-335.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I've got a Jimmy Foster Basin St. archtop. I sold it to a forum member (we've since become good friends) a few months ago. Even though I didn't play it very much I started to really miss it. Long story short, Larry agreed to sell it back to me and I'm appreciative that he did. It's a nice change of pace and a very cool sound to experiment with. I play it more now

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars