The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Couldn't you refinish the headstock and put on a fake "Waterloo" waterslide decal?

JUST KIDDING!
What and junk up a perfectly good guitar?

Just kidding part deux

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-23-2018, 10:53 AM

I'm surprised by how anti-dirty 30's a lot of folks are here...I think they sound like what they're intending to sound like...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'm surprised by how anti-dirty 30's a lot of folks are here...I think they sound like what they're intending to sound like...
That conclusion likely requires historical context the anti's may lack.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:34 AM

A local shop had about 9 RK models. Couldn't find a single one I'd even pay $200 for. Must've been a bad batch. Since then I don't even stop to play one.
Sounds like there are some good ones out there though!
scott
Old 03-23-2018, 12:08 PM

I've owned the RO-126 and 127 models, both of which were very good. My favourite guitar of theirs so far is the 13 fret deep 00 RNJ-126. Got a fantastic deal on mine - NOS.

Wish they'd concentrated on making more of these all solid, higher end guitars instead of their recent direction.

Gazza
Old 03-23-2018, 12:31 PM

Reminds me a lot of my 1970 Stella Harmony birchwood guitar, which has a sweet sound. I stored it away, but I now I want to get it back out!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 PM

I have an RD310. Solid addy top and solid hog back and sides. It’s really designed like an old style D-18. It’s a very nice guitar. I bought used in excellent condition for $275 including a case. It has a very nice sound. The only thing mildly negative about it is the neck is a bit chunky and has taken a little getting used to. Other than that, it’s a fantastic guitar, especially for the money.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:43 PM

I just got a b-stock RD-310 a little while ago. Someday I'll play at D18-GE and compare it, but it's a very nice guitar. Fret work not the greatest but otherwise very playable.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:16 PM

I guess I lucked out compared to some things I hear, I've had an RD-310 for a couple + years, It's just amazing to play and, has great sound. I find the neck to be on the slim side, but I'm used to slightly beefier necks.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:34 AM

I've been handling the line in my small shop now for about a year now... Quite the bang for one's buck... Probably one of the best deals going as far as quality level versus investment. Was glad someone mentioned the Schoenberg model too... Again a noted builder which applied his Parlor sized experience to RK as he has with other higher level builders. The torrified tops are an amazing guitar for under $500. Most experienced players that visit the shop and play RK's, find them irresistible due to what you see, hear, and get for the price. Not fancy as some have mentioned... And out of the box they might need a little "tweaking" but usually not much at all to have a guitar on the wall you actually feel good about folk taking home... and they still have some $ left in their bank account.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
If they are intending so sound like cheap toys from the 1930s then they have succeeded. However who am I to say what someone likes or doesn't. They don't cost much so I guess it's a get what you pay for thing.

My point is that for a bit more you can get a great sounding Recording King. I generally find their guitars excellent for the money and would whole heartily recommend their solid top or even all wood guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion