The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 AM

+1 I've never seen one of Stefan's guitars with a less than slinky action
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
There is no question that Stefan Sobell makes some of the best sounding guitars on the planet.

But it also has to be said that he would probably never get hired by anybody as a set-up tech.
I would like to apologize for that observation.

It was out of order, and based on only two ( brief) encounters which I have had with Sobell guitars. In both cases the action was not as low as I would have wanted, but that could well have been the players' choices of set-up.

However, I should not have publicly denigrated Stefan Sobell's set-up skills, and , again, I apologize unreservedly.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 AM

Default Simpson and Sobell

It appears that Martin is now back to playing Sobell guitars.
The last few gigs he has been playing a new MS model. http://www.sobellguitars.com/news-page/
Interestingly I was at one of Martin's workshop weekende late last year. Are was still playing his PRS, but there were 5 Sobells in the room (out of about 18 pupils) and, with the exception of Martin's own, no other PRS guitars.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
I had the opportunity to play a Sobell a couple of years ago in New Orleans. Beautiful guitar, solid as a tank, massive tone and sustain. I did find it challenging to play - for want of a better descriptor, it was a bit on the "taught" side.
I also tried one some years ago. Martin Simpson's recordings show that these guitars are capable of great tone and playing but they are not for me either. The one I tried was well built and had beautiful individual finishing touches but I found that playing it was hard work; I felt like I'd need to do hand and forearm exercises before I was ready to do it justice. And this was in a shop where all the other guitars I tried played like butter.

I guess it is the right guitar if you are the right person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion