The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I have recently become the proud owner of 2008 TBROM #5700, previously catalogued in this thread. Late Kona build, Adi/BRW, in dead mint condition.

This is a game changing guitar for me, much like it was when I bought my Santa Cruz D/PW. And just like how the D/PW pushed out my remaining Martin and Collings dreads in short order, I will be putting 2 and possibly 3 additional guitars up for sale when the weather gets a bit warmer and safer for shipping.

This is, without a shred of hesitation, the finest small bodied acoustic I've owned or played to date. After years of searching, I have finally found the unicorn...the OM that sounds like a dread! It is smooth and mature, with rich, fat notes anywhere on the neck. It's long scale, but so easy to play. Very little right hand effort is required to produce a huge sound. Speaking of the neck...it's a rounded fat C -- love it, and the 2 1/4" string spacing too.

A special thanks to Larry for selling me this amazing instrument. I plan to own this one forever.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

Last edited by brencat; 03-23-2018 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-23-2018, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

That looks very special Brendan. Glad you found your unicorn!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Jeez, Brendan. Now I want it back!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

What a gorgeous guitar, Brendan! Congratulations are in order, sir!

Goodalls are just remarkable guitars... enjoy that one!

May you play it for many hours, in both good health and circumstance.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Another beautiful Goodall! They're amazing instruments.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Can't help but post...new Goodall!

I picked up my new Goodall today in Fort Bragg, and spent some time with Luke, hearing him play it so I could listen. It is Redwood over Cocobolo. Then brought it home and haven't put it down. Photos of me and the Goodalls and the guitar are at:

https://david-alden.smugmug.com/Good...-and-Cocobolo/

It was interesting to hear how Luke and James work together on guitars. What a beauty!
Huss&Dalton 000 M/Adi (2020)
Martin Custom Shop D28/45 SnkrMahog/Adi (2019)
Santa Cruz 1929 00 (2014)
Bourgeois O Custom Adi (2010)
Froggy Bottom Model K Deluxe (2001)
Appalachian Resonator (2013)
J.E. Dallas Banjo (c.1900-1905)
Gibson A-50 Mandolin (1943)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieDave View Post
I picked up my new Goodall today in Fort Bragg, and spent some time with Luke, hearing him play it so I could listen. It is Redwood over Cocobolo. Then brought it home and haven't put it down. Photos of me and the Goodalls and the guitar are at:

It was interesting to hear how Luke and James work together on guitars. What a beauty!
Welcome to the club. Gorgeous guitar. It’s nice you got to see the shop and the people who make them.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Really nice looking wood on that one. Congrats on a great guitar!!

Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:

What a beauty, Dave! Great to see pictures of James and Luke, too, as they are a couple of the finest gentlemen I've had the pleasure of being friends with!

I own a Goodall Grand Concert that James and Luke built for me in Fort Bragg. My GC is redwood over mahogany and a wonderful compliment to my spruce/maple Mark Angus F-40 (very close to Goodall's CJ in size/shape).

Your guitar is the size I would have chosen, were it not for the 'duplication" with my Angus. If I were to have just one 6 string acoustic, it would be a Goodall Concert Jumbo!

Don't know if James and Luke prepared you for this, but your guitar is going to continue growing, both in volume and tonal response. Since I lived in Fort Bragg when they built mine, I was the first person to string it up when it came off the bench, so I had it back at home literally within hours of the completion of the build!

As the weeks passed, I was continually amazed at how the tone and volume shifted... notes and frequencies "filled in" and every aspect of the sound grew richer and more complex with each session of playing it. It's a wonderful thing to experience, and truthfully, the changes kept happening over the first 6-9 months! All the "big" changes happened within a month or so, but little nuances kept appearing for much longer than that. You are in for a real treat!!!

Enjoy that lovely instrument... a Goodall is about as good as it gets, in my book!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all...Luke and James did warn me the instrument would develop...I''m almost afraid to think what it might become. I'm already having to alter the way I play to accommodate the incredible sustain and volume. As to size, I'm more used to an OM or OOO, so this too will be an experience. It will fit right in between my remaining OM and my Martin dread that I keep around.
I just sort of fell into this guitar: I stopped by the shop one day and saw this body that Luke had just completed that was waiting for finishing. I thought it was going to be a stunning looking instrument, with the Cocobolo and Redwood, and also an interesting tone quality with those two tone woods. The guitar had been custom ordered by a dealer for a customer who backed out of the deal, so I said "before you ship it out to anyone, give me a call: I'd love to hear what it sounds like." Well, they did. I played it and came back the following day with my music partner. After we spent an hour or so with it, I knew I had to have it. They held it for me while I sold two guitars to raise most of the needed $$$ and then t'was mine!
Huss&Dalton 000 M/Adi (2020)
Martin Custom Shop D28/45 SnkrMahog/Adi (2019)
Santa Cruz 1929 00 (2014)
Bourgeois O Custom Adi (2010)
Froggy Bottom Model K Deluxe (2001)
Appalachian Resonator (2013)
J.E. Dallas Banjo (c.1900-1905)
Gibson A-50 Mandolin (1943)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM

Smile Search is over!

Some of you know that I have been searching for a blinged out Goodall with cutaway for quite some time (they're rare as hens' teeth!). Well, the stars aligned and I'm now the proud owner of this lovely BRGCCSS (Brazilian Grand Concert Cutaway Short Scale). I've acquired a blinged out cedar RCJ over a year ago (pictured right) but somehow it felt incomplete not having one with cutaway. So this one is a perfect addition and its GC size and short scale nicely complements my larger, full scale CJs.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Two very sweet guitars. Lucky player!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Wow, what a phenomenal looking GC.

I’ve gotten the chance to play some amazing Goodalls this year, and think they are among the best there is.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:38 PM

Rye congrats your hunt is finally over. I gotta say you always able to procure one of the rare best guitar around.

Jealous that you can play yours immediately, I still have to wait for couple more months to play mine.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maracas View Post
Rye congrats your hunt is finally over. I gotta say you always able to procure one of the rare best guitar around.

Jealous that you can play yours immediately, I still have to wait for couple more months to play mine.
Oh it will be worth the wait, Rob. You’ll be in for a treat!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion