The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 11:41 AM

I've played the California series and I like them. I think Fender acoustic are good overall, at least that has been my experience.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:47 AM

Default Good

If it plays well.
Feels good
Sounds good
in the budget

Then it is good.

It never mattered what was on the headstock to me.

Brand worship can get in the way of a good thing.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:54 PM

I bought this little 12 fret Fender Californian new for my daughter in 1995 for $99 including gig bag and some picks. She's grown up and rarely plays it anymore and it's been at my house for a few months waiting for me to restring it, which I did yesterday with a set of D'Addario light coated PB's. It sounds better than it ever has and very easy to play. Has nice smooth frets that allow your fingers to glide easily along the fretboard. After whomping away on my big Martins it's a cool little guitar to relax with.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Sure there are but that's not the point.
These guitars are for something different and fun-looking. Not everyone is as serious about guitars as a lot of us on the AGF, me included.
Okay Jamie. I went back and read the OP and did miss that point.

Personally, after owning a Fender acoustic, I'd still keep looking. I'm sure someone makes something different and fun looking that played and sounded better.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:02 AM

have a Fender Californian in for repair. Is there a difference between the California and the Californian series. The one I have in front of me is very special, the holes for the bridge-pins are right behind the bridge plate and from the fretboard ending at the soundhole I assume it was rather the cheap forerunner of the more recent Californian series. It looks like the one on Placida´s photos (did you have a look inside the instrument?) Can anyone comment on that assumption.
regards hdg
Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

While guitar shopping last weekend, I happened across a copper-colored Newporter. It had nice action but, thanks to the kid shredding 30 feets away from me (it is a very small shop), I couldn't really hear it and the saddle had been miscut - the A and D strings were a bit too far apart while the D and G were too close.

My wife and I both thought it looked cool, though, and it would be a fun guitar, properly set up.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 AM

I wonder if these are being made by the same shop that did their Paramount series of solid wood acoustics. I just got my PM-1 Deluxe dread out the other day. Lovely workmanship, still can't figure out why it doesn't have more bass...
Old 03-27-2018, 07:10 AM

If this is what it takes for a kid to pick up the guitar and learn some chords, then more power to them.

These just aren't for me...

...but I do have a thing for seafoam green guitar (maybe just not on an acoustic).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion