The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Do Lord Remember Me

This is another arrangement from Valerie Turner's recent book, Piedmont Style County Blues Guitar Basics. I'm new to finger picking and a fan of MJH-- this book has been a real find!

Also, my first recording not using my iPhone. I bought a Samson Go Mic (usb) and recorded it to Audacity. I have no idea what I'm doing....I used compression and noise reduction as my computer is loud and the cord isn't long enough to get away from the noise.

This is my Ibanez AC 240 hog top.

Thanks for listening (it's short )

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491...rd-remember-me
Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Thanks for sharing this, Bob.....seems like that new book agrees with you! Glad you found it!
Piedmont and all those other styles are pretty amazing....I've never really scratched the surface with those, but the book seems like an interesting find.
Keep up the great work
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

That sounded very good, Bob! I didn't hear any computer noise!

Well done!

- Glenn
Old 12-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Hi Fred and Glenn,

I really appreciate your listening! Thanks for the feedback
Old 12-03-2017, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like a good thumb to me

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 12-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Sounds like a good thumb to me
Hi Dustin,

The thumb is definitely my strongest digit

I just ran the song through with some palm muting on the bass and it's much more balanced, so thanks for your comment!

I'm still enjoying your CD, and anxiously await the EP.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:02 PM

Very nice Bob...
The AC240 sounds really good!
Been eyeing one at GC!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Very nice Bob...
The AC240 sounds really good!
Been eyeing one at GC!
Thanks very much, Jake!

The AC 240 might be the best $250 (with coupon ) I ever spent!!

I'm a couch player, but for your purposes you might want to check out the model with a pick up. I can't remember the number or what the pick was, but I plugged it into the Bose stick system at GC and it sounded killer. It was also a hog top and I believe it had a cut away, around $100 more. Good thing I don't have an amp, or it would have followed me home and my wife would have left me and my dog would be deaf by now

Looking forward to some more audio and/or video of your songs and gigs....
Old 02-12-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
This is another arrangement from Valerie Turner's recent book, Piedmont Style County Blues Guitar Basics. I'm new to finger picking and a fan of MJH-- this book has been a real find!

Also, my first recording not using my iPhone. I bought a Samson Go Mic (usb) and recorded it to Audacity. I have no idea what I'm doing....I used compression and noise reduction as my computer is loud and the cord isn't long enough to get away from the noise.

This is my Ibanez AC 240 hog top.

Thanks for listening (it's short )

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491...rd-remember-me
Nice work, Bob! I'm new to fingerstyle too, and what a journey! It is so much more rewarding to me than strumming. I love being able to come back to a song after a lot of practice to find how much I've improved over night, and it sounds like you've probably got the same feeling with how good your stuff sounds!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazump View Post
Nice work, Bob! I'm new to fingerstyle too, and what a journey! It is so much more rewarding to me than strumming. I love being able to come back to a song after a lot of practice to find how much I've improved over night, and it sounds like you've probably got the same feeling with how good your stuff sounds!
Thanks nazump! I find it very intimidating to post on Show and Tell at my skill level, but it has been a big help to me. Several members have reached out with encouragement on the forum and via private message, and that is quite a boost!

I've read some of your posts and it seems like we are on the same track. My advice is to do whatever it takes to keep your enthusiasm up. For me it was starting a weekly private lesson about 7 months into finger picking. I had plateaued out and needed better technical skills to advance any further. So it has been 6 months of exercises--scales, slurs, arpeggios, etc. I'm now at just over 13 months and it is starting to feel somewhat natural. I'm a slow learner, and when I get discouraged I try to remember how long it took me to learn how to strum some basic tunes many years ago, and then sing along in time. Many years! So a year is really a blink of an eye in my calculations!

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks nazump! I find it very intimidating to post on Show and Tell at my skill level, but it has been a big help to me. Several members have reached out with encouragement on the forum and via private message, and that is quite a boost!

I've read some of your posts and it seems like we are on the same track. My advice is to do whatever it takes to keep your enthusiasm up. For me it was starting a weekly private lesson about 7 months into finger picking. I had plateaued out and needed better technical skills to advance any further. So it has been 6 months of exercises--scales, slurs, arpeggios, etc. I'm now at just over 13 months and it is starting to feel somewhat natural. I'm a slow learner, and when I get discouraged I try to remember how long it took me to learn how to strum some basic tunes many years ago, and then sing along in time. Many years! So a year is really a blink of an eye in my calculations!

Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the encouragement, Bob! Great job on over a year, that's awesome you've stuck with it. Keep sticking with it - because it's paying off!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

I like that tune Bob, good job. The recording sounds nice and quiet to my ears. I'm going to check that book out.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I like that tune Bob, good job. The recording sounds nice and quiet to my ears. I'm going to check that book out.
Hi Barry,

Thanks for listening. I've since acquired a used Zoom H4N which I hope to get comfortable with in the near future. It has much warmer and to me more pleasant sound than the usb mic I used on this recording.

Regarding the Valerie Turner book, I like it very much. It is heavy on Mississippi John Hurt which is the reason I bought it. Some of the arrangements are quite simple, I'm sure you could get most of them down in short order. It is nowhere near the difficulty of the tunes in the Woody Mann book. But even the simple arrangements are very well done. The book itself was designed by her husband who is a graphic artist and it really is a piece of art.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Barry,

Thanks for listening. I've since acquired a used Zoom H4N which I hope to get comfortable with in the near future. It has much warmer and to me more pleasant sound than the usb mic I used on this recording.

Regarding the Valerie Turner book, I like it very much. It is heavy on Mississippi John Hurt which is the reason I bought it. Some of the arrangements are quite simple, I'm sure you could get most of them down in short order. It is nowhere near the difficulty of the tunes in the Woody Mann book. But even the simple arrangements are very well done. The book itself was designed by her husband who is a graphic artist and it really is a piece of art.
Hey Bob, do you have a link to where I can order a copy? I'm not having much luck finding it using my phone. Thanks

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hey Bob, do you have a link to where I can order a copy? I'm not having much luck finding it using my phone. Thanks
Hi Barry,

That is strange, there used to be a link on her homepage that took you right to the order form. http://www.piedmontbluz.com/

That link seems to have disappeared.

I've had some contact with Valerie, so I'll send her an email and find out what's up, maybe she sold out of copies.

In the meantime, here is the review of the book that turned me on to it.

http://www.thecountryblues.com/op-ed...alerie-turner/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell