The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Default JLD Bridge System installation help

Hi folks, I live in Nigeria where there are no luthiers. I am installing a JLD Bridge System in a Yamaha fg 180 nippon gakki that was abandoned years ago. I have some tools and a working knowledge of how guitars are put together.

My first problem is deciding which of the 3 holes to use to screw in the attachment post. No clue in the directions.

I drilled the hole through the bridge. Now I am stuck. Maybe someone who's done these can help me?

The photo shows the 3 possible positions for the mounting post. How can I choose?

Any help is much appreciated!

My (old) tunes
Old 02-04-2018, 10:46 AM

I think I figured it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

My (old) tunes
Old 02-04-2018, 10:57 AM

From the pic here http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ge_Doctor.html it looks like you peek through your hole in the bridge and use the hole that appears directly under the hole you drilled. Stewmac has its own directions at the link.

The maker's directions are here: https://www.jldguitar.net/install/instructions.html

I found the Stewmac and maker's instructions re: final adjustment varied, with Stewmac's placing insufficient tension on the adjuster, resulting in quieter tone/volume. The maker says: "Once the soundpost contacts the tailblock, give the adjustment screw another twist or two and you're finished." Basically, you want some added tension on the wooden pole to the guitar's bottom, not, as Stewmac's version of the maker's instructions says, "just tight enough to prevent lateral play in the rod, but still allow it to be rotated between the fingers."
Old 02-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Guest 1928

What problem are you trying to solve? Whatever it is, the BD is not the answers.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:05 PM

Success! Bridge belly is gone. Now working out some neck bow. But it sounds amazing already!

My (old) tunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair