The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-04-2002, 04:35 PM

Question New 710CE-LTD, bad strings!

This is my first post. I just got a 710CE-LTD, my first Taylor. I loved it, until I changed the strings. It came with Elixir nano lights. I replaced the naos with a new set of polyweb lights. Big mistake! The guitar went from beautiful ringing sustain to dead as dead can be! The nanos sounded great but I like to put fresh strings on a new guitar as soon as I get it home. Before I go and put nanos back on it, I was wondering if anyone would please help and make some suggestions on the best strings and gauge for this Taylor model?

Last edited by jkubik; 01-04-2002 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:26 PM

It's interesting that your guitar came with lights, because Taylor recommends mediums (13's) for dreadnaughts.

I'd try both (nano and poly) in medium. If you're still not happy, then try someone else's suggestion. "Someone else" should be along shortly.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:09 PM

Hi, I'm someone else. I tried poly's several years ago looking for the holy grail. I'm one of those guys who kills guitar strings because of the moisture/acid from my fingers. Unfortunately, they sounded dull and fuzzy from the beginning (looked fuzzy too as the coating began to shed after a hard night). That doesn't mean I won't try the Nano's at some point, but after looking long and hard I'm a confirmed John Pearse guy. On your guitar I would probably use mediums, the John Pearse Bronze 80/20 if you prefer it bright, or the John Pearse Phospher Bronze if you like it a little smoother. I haven't tried them all (maybe 20-25 different brands), but they are the best sounding strings I've found, they last a little while if I wipe them down when I'm done, and are very reasonably priced to boot. Just buy them fresh and store them in a dry place.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:55 PM

First I think you might want to measure that first set of strings. Should have come with meds (13s) 12s will kill the sound. My 710CE-LTD came alive with poly 13s. The nanos didnt sound to bad either. JW
Old 01-04-2002, 08:32 PM

Smile

Hi
I would definately put a medium string on any 10 series. As JW said if you
have the old set check the measurement on the strings. Taylors fret so easily
that alot of times mediums are mistaken for lights. Since it is your 1st Taylor
experience it wouldn't occur to you. I have had dealers tell me they are ligts
on 10 series.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:06 PM

My first thought is that you might have been misinformed by the dealer or made a mistake as to the gauge. If the guitar came with mediums as they're supposed to and you were to swap em' out for a set of lights....theres your dead sound. Dreads are braced to sing with a medium gauge. Throw a set on and let us know how it goes.

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 01-05-2002, 03:23 PM

I use med. poly's on my 710ltd...and it sounds awesome...even better when you really dig into it.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:13 PM

I HAVE A 710LTD AND IT CAME WITH MEDIUM NANOS, not lights. Do Not put lights on it! This is my personal preference but the nanos produce a brighter sound over the polys. I believe the polys are a little darker in sound. The cocobolo has a great rosewood-like sound with great sustain. dink
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited by dink; 04-07-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:26 PM

I could have been mistaken about the guitar coming with nano lights on it. But I put nano mediums on it and it sounds great. Thanks for your replys.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:46 PM
alchu

Quote:
Originally posted by jkubik
I could have been mistaken about the guitar coming with nano lights on it. But I put nano mediums on it and it sounds great. Thanks for your replys.
Good to hear. Enjoy your new baby!

Allan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification