The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Default What's your "book of the year?"

OK, so I know we still have a month left of 2014, but what book really "did it" for you this year? For me it was Richard Saslow's "The New Art of Ragtime Guitar." Great for intermediate players, not TOO challenging -I know I've lamented on past threads over some of the chord shapes/changes, then I gave patience a chance (not the Guns N Roses song). A great way to see how a jazz composition works for solo guitar via chord changes, voice leading, and bass lines.

http://www.acoustictruth.com/ragtime.html

For 2015, instead of spending money on a new book, I'll be un-shelving Steve James' "Roots and Blues Fingerstyle Guitar" and facing some of the more challenging pieces I gave up on in the past.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 11-29-2014, 11:10 AM

I read Ervin Somogyi's "The Responsive Guitar" at least a few times a year. And every time I do it is the best guitar book I've read. A little expensive, but a great resource and you will learn something new (or what you already knew will take on more depth) every time.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM

My book of the year was this. I learned not only about the amps but also about Leo Fender. The guy was a genius.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:28 PM

Agree on the Saslow ragtime book. Fun tunes and just challenging enough.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the posts. Please keep them coming!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:07 PM

I read Neil Young´s Waging Heavy Peace - A Hippie Drean. And loved every single page of it.

I am a GREAT fan of Neil Young, by the way...
Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 PM

Well, I haven't worked my way through them all the way yet (just got them two months ago), but Rhythm Guitar 365 and A Modern Method for Guitar are strong contenders for next years crown.

This year's "book" that helped the most would probably be my planner since I started using it to track practice times, goals, and set deadlines.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:18 PM

My book of the year came along last weekend. "First, Learn to Practice" by Tom Heany.

I kinda bought it on a whim. It was $5 for my kindle I though what the heck. I read it cover to cover (85 or so pages). So not a big book page wise, but it really made me think about my PRACTICE vs PLAY. I have found mysf enjoying practice more now.

- Matt
Old 11-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Easy question, "Contemporary Acoustic Guitar Design and Build" by Trevor Gore and Gerard Gilet which you can find HERE
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

The Tony Rice biography. "Still Inside" I think is the name.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:09 AM

Default favorite book

I'm re-reading"The Grand Obsession",a Piano Odessey;by Perri Knize. Sure its about pianos but is really about one persons search for the perfect instrument.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:57 AM

I only read three books this year related to acoustic guitar: "Kalamazoo Gals, "Doc Watson: Was Blind but Now I See", and "Mississippi John Hurt: His Life, His Times, His Blues". Out of the three I enjoyed the Doc Watson book the most with Kalamazoo Gals in a close second. I just really enjoyed reading about Doc and his life. He seemed to be an amazing person that endured some heavy burdens but managed to stay strong through it.

And to top it off I got the kindle version of this book free because someone here several months back posted about Amazon running a special on this book!

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 11-30-2014, 05:16 AM

Keith Richards and SRV autobiography.
Perseverance at its finest.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:05 AM

Mine:

Pat Donohue Plays American Fingerstyle Guitar Favorites

This came out recently. Bought it immediately, been playing it like crazy, find it extremely rewarding. It's funny, I had just been thinking how I wished they made a book of Donohue's American Guitar Album. Abt. half of the material of this book is from that album, and the rest is just as great. I would say the difficulty level range is intermediate....advanced.

But it has been an exceptionally awesome guitar book year for me, I've bought lots of great stuff. I too got Saslow's ragtime book this year and now play it through every now and then. Fun stuff! I also got Happy Traum's Fingerpicking Styles for Guitar, Guy Van Duser's Stride Guitar, Remembering Marcel, etc...

The best thing about this great book year? It's not over yet. Santa should be bringing me Craig Dobbins' Down Home Picking, Mel Bay presents MBGU Fingerstyle Curriculum: Best Thumbpicking Solos, Marcel Dadi - Guitar Legend, and a Paul Yandell collection by Craig Dobbins.

Did I mention I love good books?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 AM

I suppose my book choice for the year could also go under the "Record" heading. "Logic Pro X, Professional Music Production" by David Nahmani takes top spot for me this year.
Number two for me is Phillipa Gregory's, "The King's Curse", however; it has nothing to do with guitar playing or music other than several references to lute playing and lute players. Among them were Henry VIII, his daughter Mary (known later as "Bloody Mary" after her ascension to the throne) and, of course, Anne Boleyn's personal lutenist who was executed on suspicion of being one of her lovers. Talk about about a risky gig!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write