The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-13-2014, 10:29 PM

Default Palm Muting and Thumb Posture

First of all, Happy Holidays to all.
Some of the finger style teachers emphasize posturing the thumb forward toward the neck in order to keep the thumb and remaining fingers from colliding. This makes perfect sense and I try to do so. However, I have recently been trying to incorporate palm muting. I have noticed that, while bringing my palm back to the bridge, my hand defaults into a "claw" position. Is this a common problem does anyone share this tendency and have any tips? Much appreciated.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:26 AM

Hmmm, I do palm muting a lot. I'd have to say let your hand assume a relaxed position, whatever that may be for you. I find any sort of strain to be a detriment to my playing. Be relaxed and loose and let you own style develop.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:56 PM

You can use your palm to mute unwanted string quickly at most variations of a fingerstyle position.

Are you talking more about partial palm-muting, where the notes are half-muted to give a different tone WHILE playing fingerstyles? Like you would a rock rhythm on an electric guitar? That's a very different thing, and as noted, you might need to play with that positioning to find the way you can do both.
2011 Martin D28 Sunburst | 2004 Taylor 310CE L7 | Mesa Boogie Rectoverb | Fender Super | Custom 1998 American Stratocaster | Yamaha Alto Sax | Ibanez Basses | Ramirez Flamenco | too much else to mention
Old 12-15-2014, 04:17 PM

you do not have to mute over the bridge. my thumb is always close to the neck because when you play slap bass you thump the strings on the neck for tone. when I play lead pinch harmonics are in different places and I use a lot of pinch harmonics. both doing leads and cords etc.. I palm mute all over.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:32 PM

Thank you all.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:52 PM

A thumbpick can really make a difference - I am just beginning to give
it a serious try and working out the kinks. Maybe give it a shot?
Old 12-26-2014, 10:29 AM

I notice my hand moves when I palm mute. I notice I retain a claw shape even when muting and my pinky does duties for the high E string. I notice I don't mute the high strings as much as I do the low strings and that I favor the sound that way (unless strumming). I notice I've never really thought much about it until now. My thumb is always in line with the neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write