The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Default Backing tracks.....

Hey everybody, I'm trying to learn to play single notes/lead lines and have been playing along with internet radio for a while now. I have seen some backing track products on the market that will allow you to mute different instruments from an audio clip, allowing you to take over playing yourself. There products seem difficult to understand and use.

Does anybody have any recommendation as to what is good and fairly easy to use. I would pay a reasonable price for a program if necessary, or should I just keep using the internet radio?

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 AM

Your first stop should be Youtube, there are thousands of quality backing tracks there (both jamtracks and popular songs). Just do a search for 'backing track' and you'll be playing forever along with them.

On the program front I could recommend 'Band In A Box'. It has a bit of a learning curve but is very deep and flexible. You can put in the progression you want and select from a plethora of different styles. You can even have it improvise leads for you if you want.

My assorted assembly of aural "art"
Old 12-10-2014, 03:32 PM

http://www.karaoke-version.com allows you to mix your own versions of a song. They have a large catalog of pop tunes, classics, and standards. Songs cost a few dollars each, you could then download your mix without the guitar parts and play along. Quality of the tracks goes from mediocre to very good, with the vast majority being good to very good. It's not a program that does what you suggest but the songs are inexpensive and once you purchase a song you can download as many versions as you like for as long as you like. I've downloaded many tracks for practice purposes myself, you may find it does what you need.
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker
Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outatune View Post
Hey everybody, I'm trying to learn to play single notes/lead lines and have been playing along with internet radio for a while now. I have seen some backing track products on the market that will allow you to mute different instruments from an audio clip, allowing you to take over playing yourself. There products seem difficult to understand and use.

Does anybody have any recommendation as to what is good and fairly easy to use. I would pay a reasonable price for a program if necessary, or should I just keep using the internet radio?

Thanks in advance,
Hi outatune...

There is an app called iReal Pro (iOS and/or Android) which has an online library (free) of thousands of songs which have been submitted by users. They can be searched and loaded into the app (from within the app) and have chord progressions in several formats.

iReal Pro - CliCk

And you have full control over most aspects of the song once it's loaded (which takes seconds).

It features not only charts and free accessible library of songs, but a Band In A Box style instrument playback which turns the phone/tablet into the play back device, and lets your plug into a sound system/amp/PA.

It's actually the best of it's kind of this type of product I've seen for smart devices, since you can buy a companion app from the App store for your desktop (if you use Mac), and custom build your own charts and load them into the phone/pad. It's as good as Band In a Box at a fraction of the price.

All it requires is a smart phone or tablet, and is a wonderful assistant, and background playing app. You can build play lists for live play. You can change keys in seconds (it transposes the charts). You can mix or eliminate instruments for playback.

You can choose and configure instruments and change styles of play (and purchase more instrument sets and styles of play).

Even with all the in app purchases you can think of, it's a reasonably priced package. It starts at $12.99 and then there are additional style packs.

This is what the screen looks like of a chart…

Hope this sends you in a positive direction.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-15-2014, 04:44 AM

http://www.guitarvoice.com/BackingTracks/Genre/Blues

Very comprehensive site. I downloaded a ton of tracks into my iPod. My Acoustic brand amp has an input jack for mp3 players. I plug in the iPod and can adjust my sound in the mix to sound like I am part of the original recording. Great for blues practice in particular.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:01 AM

+1 youtube

Last edited by BUG; 12-21-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: bad quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Guitar Pro and PowerTab are awesome programs for the money. They don't come with songs, but there are quite a few song files for free on the internet. Perhaps complex, though perhaps not.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 AM

This is exactly what I have been concentrating on for the last few weeks. YouTube is your friend.

I started With blues soloing in E then learnt G and A, using the minor pentatonic/blues scales where appropriate. Getting the licks right at the chord changes is the challenge but making good progress so far.

YouTube chanels like random jammer are excellent and have loads of content I will probably purchase some of their material I think.

http://youtu.be/yCYnPrw14-g

http://youtu.be/gdTmkl9W038

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Last edited by Westy; 12-22-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi outatune...

There is an app called iReal Pro (iOS and/or Android) which has an online library (free) of thousands of songs which have been submitted by users. They can be searched and loaded into the app (from within the app) and have chord progressions in several formats.

iReal Pro - CliCk

And you have full control over most aspects of the song once it's loaded (which takes seconds).

It features not only charts and free accessible library of songs, but a Band In A Box style instrument playback which turns the phone/tablet into the play back device, and lets your plug into a sound system/amp/PA.

It's actually the best of it's kind of this type of product I've seen for smart devices, since you can buy a companion app from the App store for your desktop (if you use Mac), and custom build your own charts and load them into the phone/pad. It's as good as Band In a Box at a fraction of the price.

All it requires is a smart phone or tablet, and is a wonderful assistant, and background playing app. You can build play lists for live play. You can change keys in seconds (it transposes the charts). You can mix or eliminate instruments for playback.

You can choose and configure instruments and change styles of play (and purchase more instrument sets and styles of play).

Even with all the in app purchases you can think of, it's a reasonably priced package. It starts at $12.99 and then there are additional style packs.

This is what the screen looks like of a chart…

Hope this sends you in a positive direction.

This product looks fantastic Larry I think I will definitely use this, just trying to work out how best to integrate this into my situation. The tutorial looks great and comprehensive.

You know after 3 years I'm starting to get this and want to spend more and more time learning. I am about to lose my job with a substantial payout and will have a lot more time to improve my skills now I'm semi retired.

Quick question though please Larry if I may about keys. Currently learning E G A and want to probably pick 2 more then focus on them in different modes and styles of course. Preferably Blues and some Jazz having fun with Summertime in Am. Whilst I understand there is 12 keys I'm not sure my brain will absorb that amount of info which is why I would prefer narrowing it down a bit.

So what other 2 keys would you recommend please.

Cheers

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 12-24-2014, 02:09 AM

Larry, I have been busy with another project and I'm just now getting back to the practice track search. I think my search is over. I love the looks of this and am going to check now for a price to get started.

I'm not a big tablet user, but I have an HP Slate and I suppose that will work. I already have a set-up to pump it out through some speakers. I just need to buy and figure out how to use.

The tutorial on the website has given me confidence that it is indeed easy to use. I only wish I could use it through my laptop. If I need to take it with me this will be easier though.

Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention.

Most everyone else at least included utube in their suggetions and I have always used utube, but now I'm learning how to better search for what I need. The search is the key.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!
David in TN
Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
…So what other 2 keys would you recommend please.

Cheers
Hi Westy...

For relaxed playing and improvising I choose the keys I'm most familiar with. For growth I choose a key I'm least familiar with and try to become as proficient in it as the one I'm strong in.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-24-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Westy...

For relaxed playing and improvising I choose the keys I'm most familiar with. For growth I choose a key I'm least familiar with and try to become as proficient in it as the one I'm strong in.

I get it, it's a constant journey no shortcuts

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write