The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 AM

Default TC Harmony G XT or Digitech Voicelive VL 3?

I have been using a Digitech Voicelive 4 for a couple of years and it's really added a lot to my band and acoustic gigs. But the key to adding a lot to the performance is adding little in the way of effects and digital harmonies. The VL4 has many more features than I'll ever need. 90% of the time I sang harmonies to my lead singer and had the VL4 just add one harmony a third over my own. That's it. Some pitch correction on bad vocal days helped too and I have it dialed in so it's slight and not noticeable.

I'm looking to downsize and I'm trying to decide between the TC Helicon Harmony G XT and the Digitech VL3. I'm interested in hearing from people who have actually compared both. I plan to use some reverb, slight delay and one harmony 99% of the time, maybe a second harmony once in a while. Pitch correction as well (I know the TC is not adjustable, but something tells me they just got it right).

Thanks for your experienced based assistance.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM

I prefer the TC over the Digitech. Better FX and quieter. Do you prefer stomp or boom stand mountable? I had the VL4 but it didn't last long... too noisy and I really didn't need four part harmony.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Stomp for sure. The TC doesn't look like the front is angled like the Digitech. Hope that's not an issue. Also, the TC doesn't have a switch to turn the effects in and off.

I had no noise probls with my VL4 intoy Bose or a big PA. It's worked great for two years already. It's just huge and too easy to hit the wrong switch.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM

I like my TC Helicon Harmony G XT. The pitch correction is the only feature I don't like because it is too noticeable, has sort of a chorusing sound that I don't care for.
I agree with you because I don't use all the features either , in fact I only use a single harmony a 3rd above and room reverb. When I use more than one harmony it is too over the top for a solo singer in my opinion
Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Stomp for sure. The TC doesn't look like the front is angled like the Digitech. Hope that's not an issue. Also, the TC doesn't have a switch to turn the effects in and off.

I had no noise probls with my VL4 intoy Bose or a big PA. It's worked great for two years already. It's just huge and too easy to hit the wrong switch.
I believe there are two ways to turn off FX.

1. Activate tuner (easiest as you can use your foot)

2.Push FX button
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foss38 View Post
I believe there are two ways to turn off FX.

1. Activate tuner (easiest as you can use your foot)

2.Push FX button

Right. No footswitch. Maybe not a big deal.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
I like my TC Helicon Harmony G XT. The pitch correction is the only feature I don't like because it is too noticeable, has sort of a chorusing sound that I don't care for.
My one concern about the TC is that the pitch correction is not adjustable. I have it set on my VL4 so that it works but isn't noticeable to the audience. Now, I can tell in my head when I'm off (which is how it makes you learn to sing better). I notice a serious improvement in my singing pretty quickly.

When you say there's a chorusing, is that what you hear in your head (which is normal if you're singing off pitch) or are you saying that the audience can hear it (which is not good)?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Ya'll probably have this info but I'll post just in case.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/voicetone-...xt-details.asp
Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foss38 View Post
Ya'll probably have this info but I'll post just in case.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/voicetone-...xt-details.asp
Yes, thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 AM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...17&postcount=4

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...9&postcount=40

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...4&postcount=46

Last edited by TrinityEB; 07-14-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:30 AM

I read the existing threads, but most were a bit older and didn't really include the comparison I was looking for. I thought there would be more experience with these units, and especially the TC's added pitch correction, out there.

Is the VL3 a lot larger than the TC? the size of the TC is a big attraction
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 AM

I played through my bandmate's TC Hamony G XT last night at his acoustic gig. He bought his after hearing me use my Digitech VL4. I have been coveting the small size of the GXT, but really wanted to try one out before laying out the cash as I have the VL4 dialed in nicely.

First, I will say that the GXT did wonderful things for the straight voice. The effects sounded great and very useable. If I didn't already have the VL4, the GXT would be worth it for just that. But, I was not impressed with it's harmony tracking at all. I tried some tunes with a single higher harmony voice and it was mostly ok, but the machine generated some strange harmony notes from time to time. Then I tried a couple of CSN tunes with one higher and one lower harmony. Man, I heard some very strange harmonies that just did not follow the chords I was playing. My digitech does a much better job in this regard. My bandmate actually brought it up and thought that mine did a better job when he heard it.

I think I'll just stick with the big VL4 (though I hate it's hugeness and the placement of the pedal switches) and work on some of the effects settings that I really haven't used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification