The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitars similar to Taylor T5

I've been considering a Taylor T5 for a plugged in acoustic. In their demo video it sounds pretty nice in the acoustic "position 1" mode. But, before I pull the trigger, I'm curious to know what other guitars of that type are out there.

Can anyone provide some guidance?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I've been considering a Taylor T5 for a plugged in acoustic. In their demo video it sounds pretty nice in the acoustic "position 1" mode. But, before I pull the trigger, I'm curious to know what other guitars of that type are out there.

Can anyone provide some guidance?
You posted this in Build and Repair, so Step 1 is to put this where people will see it - try the top level under General Acoustic Guitar Discussion, thought it may get moved to Electric Guitar section.

That said, some like the Godin A6 Ultra as a decent hybrid (though there are many others - search internet for hybrid guitar electric acoustic, something like that, and you can build a list. Other responders will likely have more/better suggestions.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Aw man, I thought I was in the General Discussion section. I'm back and forth between both a lot and probably lost track of where I was. Dangit.

Thanks for the info on Godin.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:08 PM

I second the nomination for Godin A6. I've had two T5s and two A6's. If your priority is acoustic sound the A6 takes it at a fraction of the price.

I also had a Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster for awhile. They are discontinued now, but pop up on ebay from time to time. They have built in Aura processing for their acoustic output and produce an impressive acoustic sound as well as a passable electric sound too.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:20 PM

T5 gets a decent acoustic-ish sound when played through a PA or an acoustic amp. When they do the Road Show demo's showing the wide range of sounds, they use an A-B switch to put the signal through an electric amp to get the more electric sounds. And they mess around with tone controls quite a bit too. It is more involved than simply switching to position #1 for "acoustic" to position #2 for "jazz archtop", postion #3 for Strat, and so forth. I have a T5 classic......

You can also ask a moderator to move your thread into the General room. No worries.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:36 AM

If you need a bridge electric PUP then the T5 is a good choice. If not, the A6 can do a better acoustic tone. I've owned both along with the Tele Acoustasonic, which also is missing a bridge electric PUP (and is why I think it sold so badly to the electric guitar crowd).

The excellent craftsmanship of the T5 does put it in a different class if that is important to you.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair