The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 PM

An Eminence Canabis rex sounds great in my 66 Reverberocket II and sounded terrific in my Gemini II. I don't know if it will fit your amp, but it is a great speaker for American style amps.

Last edited by The Old Gaffer; 09-16-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Bob View Post
Thanks for the info, but my Jet cant fit the V type or A type, only 4.8' clearance. I do have a Carvin Cab that can fit anything right now, the sky's the limit for this one, maybe the A type with a Swamp Thing.
In my experience, combining Eminence and Celestion speakers doesn't seem to work out too well. The Eminence speakers always seem to completely drown out the Celestions. I think this is due to their higher sensitivity rating...they just sound WAY louder.

It could be a relative inefficiency in the Celestions, but I believe it is these little quirks & inefficiencies that give any speaker it's unique character. As to overall tone, my personal preference is the Celestions, but I like Brit tones.

I also might question why you would want to use a 150 watt speaker (Swamp Thing) in a 15 watt amp...or even a 70 watt speaker for that matter. You might be better served to get something that more closely matches the RMS rating of the amp.

Here's something to check into, though I've never used it. Even if Eminence speakers have not been my cup of tea so far, I can't fault their quality.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/spe...?model=TF_1250
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 09-20-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
...The Eminence speakers always seem to completely drown out the Celestions. I think this is due to their higher sensitivity rating...they just sound WAY louder...I also might question why you would want to use a 150 watt speaker (Swamp Thang) in a 15 watt amp...or even a 70 watt speaker for that matter. You might be better served to get something that more closely matches the RMS rating of the amp...
My take:
  • Celestion and Eminence - even the Brit-voiced Redcoat Series (BTW you might want to check out some of those) - don't play well together, and for just the reason you state.; as a whole they're probably the most efficient (dB/W/M) speakers on the market, which does in fact make them way louder. I'm sure you're aware that a 3dB increase in SPL equates to a doubling of power - and whether you pick up that increase at the beginning (amplifier) or end (speaker) of the signal chain makes little difference in terms of perceived loudness; if you're a real guitar-cable-amp tone junkie as I am, however, this can make for some unique (and otherwise unobtainable) tonal combinations that can really set your signature sound apart from the run-of-the-mill - which leads me to:
  • While everyone has his/her own idea of "Holy Grail" electric guitar tone(s), not everything is measured in terms of preamp vs. power amp overdrive and speaker cone breakup; I've been a hardcore "big-clean" tube tone guy (think blonde/blackface Fender and blue-check Ampeg) since I first picked up an electric guitar in 1963, and for my style of playing I can get all the tones I need from my amp and guitar alone. In that light I've upgraded the speakers in just about every amp that ever came through my door, for several reasons:
    • I've been in this game long enough to know that Murphy has a way of showing his face when least expected - crap happens, and I know that no matter how hard I push my 22W 1x12" Bugera V22 (the recipient of the aforementioned Swamp Thang) I'm not likely to blow a 150W speaker short of catastrophic electronic failure;
    • While it's not a hard-&-fast rule - Eminence has unquestionably changed the game in this respect - higher-power-rated speakers have historically tended toward the higher end of the efficiency scale, as well as sounding just plain "bigger" overall. A tube upgrade/rebias and a Swamp Thang turned my 2xEL84 V22 into a '66 Ampeg "key club" Gemini II/B-12XT tone clone that'll hang with my '65 Super RI and Frontman 212R in the volume department, fill a 600-700 seat house with no problem, and sound like an American "big tube" (6L6/6CA7/7027) 2x12" combo doing it - at 30% less weight than a Twin/Super Reverb; same reason I installed a JBL in my '64 top-panel Rocket (no 'verb) when it was my only guitar amp BTW, and IME not a bad deal given the sonic returns...
Old 10-08-2020, 12:24 PM

I know this is an old thread but just posting here for the benefit of anyone else who may be asking the same question.
I initially upgraded my speaker to a Jensen MOD 12-70 following comments on other forums.
I wasn’t that impressed with the change, and eventually swapped this out for an Eminence Legend GB128 (which seems to be a very highly regarded cleaner Greenback type speaker).
I wasn’t totally sure if it would fit but can say that it fits by a gnat’s whisker, and sounds fantastic.
I was hoping to get more of a Voxy sound from the amp and, while it doesn’t have the same sizzly jangle of the AC15 Heritage Handwired I used to own, it definitely gets it more into that territory. Plus the amp is significantly louder and just overall ‘bigger’ sounding.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timski View Post
...I was hoping to get more of a Voxy sound from the amp and, while it doesn’t have the same sizzly jangle of the AC15 Heritage Handwired I used to own, it definitely gets it more into that territory. Plus the amp is significantly louder and just overall ‘bigger’ sounding.
Welcome to the Forum - just out of curiosity, what amp did you install that Eminence in...?
Old 10-08-2020, 05:15 PM

The Ampeg Jet mentioned in the title (to be exact - a 90s J-12T)
Old 10-08-2020, 06:25 PM

I was looking at either a Super Jet or Reverberocket 2x12" back then, sorry I didn't grab one - still have the original top-panel non-reverb Rocket I bought in 1964, original tubes still sounding good...
Old 10-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Jensen MOD. Best sound under $100. I have one in a cab for my Tweed Deluxe. I put one in a friend Ampeg Jet. Sounds great.

My favorite inexpensive speaker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars