The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-12-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
A digital depth gauge, such as the cheap ones sold for measuring tire tread depth, is wide enough to bridge any two frets and avoid the problem of using a caliper's depth rod.
But then you get an average fret height of 2 frets, not a single measure for a single fret...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
But then you get an average fret height of 2 frets, not a single measure for a single fret...
But what do you need the single fret height measurement for? Isn't the purpose to choose the right fret wire for a partial refret, or to duplicate an existing neck's frets? If you are investigating a high fret, all you need is a short straightedge. And the feeler gauges don't measure right on the fret, either.

In truth, I never use this tool (besides it's battery dying after about a week--another reason not to like digital tools). I just don't need to measure fret heights, since I'm not in the refret business anymore.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 09-12-2017 at 10:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair