The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-30-2015, 09:14 PM

Default K&K UltraPure System (2015 Version)

Hi guys, I wonder if any of you have experience with this pickup? It's new for 2015, not much in the way of demos or reviews out there yet.

http://kksound.com/products/ultrapuresystem.php

Basically I'm wondering if the onboard preamp is as good (or close at least) to an external preamp/DI. I've steered away from the K&K Mini because I try to keep my setup as simple as possible, and I'm always looking for a good plug and play solution. Maybe this is something I should be trying.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 AM

I should also mention that this would be going into a Martin OMXAE, so an all HPL guitar, has anyone here ever put a K&K Mini in one of those guitars, would it even sound decent to start with? I have to think it would be an improvement over the Sonitone that's in there.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 AM

I installed a K&K mini into a friend's 000X1 (same body size your OM) and it sounds quite good with the K&K Pure preamp. Can't comment on the new system, other than it should sound fine.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 AM

Thanks for this, I asked K&K about the new onboard preamp and this was their response, which makes sense to me:

Exchanging the endpin jack and battery holder with the type you show would be relatively easy requiring some soldering, there are only a few wires and connections to make. We cannot however provide this type of battery holder/jack.

The circuitry in the UltraPure preamp is essentially identical to our external PureXLR preamp without the balanced output so sound quality will be similar.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:19 AM

I like to keep it simple so no preamps or batteries in my guitars...just the K&K Pure Minis.

I plug my K&K's directly into one of my Red Eye Preamps and then the "balanced" XLR output of the Red Eye goes to main PA board.

You won't have an XLR output with the K&K UltraPure System unless you plug the 1/4" guitar output into an external direct box with an XLR output.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 07-01-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi H…

If you have to have everything onboard the guitar, then it's the K&K single pickup solution…

You can't adjust tone on the fly (reaching around strings into the mouth of the soundhole to adjust knobs is not a during-the-gig operation). I don't know what it is, but rehearsing and doing sound checks in an empty room has led to me readjusting sound later. Don't know if it's because of the techs changing something, or the room, or both.

The reasons my original K&K belt pack preamp is my backup preamp are:
  • You have to open the case to adjust gain and/or tone. No easy on the fly access to gain or tone.
  • No XLR out, so I have to carry a passive direct box…so I have to provide outboard gear anyway.
  • It's doesn't produce as good of quality sound as my third-party external blender/preamp options

I don't recall ever having played a gig where I didn't reach over and tweak a tone control or volume level on the fly. I've face the limitation/frustration of soundhole adjustments with my Baggs Dual Source rig (which I used for 7 years).

If I needed to adjust that one I had to find a plastic screwdriver, or a pencil with an eraser and go internal…

Oh - and did I mention loosening ½ of the strings to change the battery?

I just found an attachable tray which attaches to my mic stand below waist level, and it holds my preamp/blender right in front of me. I chuck capos, tuners etc on the tray as well.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just making sure you are aware of the limitations of most soundhole adjusting preamps. They really only give you instant access to volume.

The last benefit I have is I can interchange preamp/blenders, and guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-01-2015, 01:28 PM

LJ ... Human bodies absorb sound waves (including reflections from surfaces) while empty rooms reflect sound freely. The body becomes a filter affecting response. Most likely in a live situation you are hearing the room as well as the sound source. The room dynamic changes with an audience.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
LJ ... Human bodies absorb sound waves (including reflections from surfaces) while empty rooms reflect sound freely. The body becomes a filter affecting response. Most likely in a live situation you are hearing the room as well as the sound source. The room dynamic changes with an audience.
You're right.

And it's a different experience holding and playing a guitar and feeling the vibrations in your body, not just hearing them with your ears, than it is listening to a recording or to someone playing and....

Wait a minute....what was this thread originally about???

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 07-01-2015 at 04:24 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification