The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Any observations on the Headway HE4 co-axial P/U?

I've been lucky(?) enough to snag an inexpensive and unused Headway HE4 co-axial pickup system off ebay. I'll be installing it in my '68 D28 which has been modified (with a routed saddle slot floor) in the past to accommodate previous co-axial pickup systems. A DTAR Timberline system eventually went bad (loose jack, if I recall) and I currently have an old Headway mandolin pickup in the guitar to keep the saddle at its proper height. It was mistakenly sold to me as a guitar pickup, so I've had to strip off the preamp (designed for higher-than-guitar frequencies, it seemed) and use the passive co-axial pickup with my Fishman Platinum preamp. This has worked decently well, but not as well as the Timberline system which preceded it. I'm hoping that the HE4, which is specifically designed for steel string guitar, will work as well as the Timberline or better.

I'm going to go ahead and install the HE4 when it arrives, of course, but I'm still curious about what experiences other forum members might have had with the Headway. I'm also wondering specifically about how it compares with the Highlander and Timberline systems. Any observations?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:13 PM

I had a Headway pickup installed in my luthier built guitar late last year - built by Adrian Lucas.

Adrian rates Headway and I have been very impressed with their preamps that I have been using for three or four years.

I'm very impressed with it. It has had good comments from audiences and those running venue sound.

It is very difficult good paired with a Headway preamp and pretty decent straight into a PA. I'm sure you will be happy with it! Headway are a small company but one that really understands acoustic music.
Martin J40
Old 06-15-2015, 12:22 PM

I have a Headway pickup in my Octave Mandolin and it sounds great. The problem with Headway pickups is that they are difficult to install. I believe you have to cut a bit into the actual bridge to give enough room for the round coaxial transducer. I know with my OM, my luthier had to remove the saddle/bridge and cut into the bottom to install the pickup.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Thanks for your observations, Andy and Petty. Your comments are encouraging.

Installation won't be a problem, Petty. The saddle slot floor has already been routed to accommodate previous co-axial pickups.

This guitar also has a super-glued passive iBeam in it, so I look forward to experimenting with blending the two pickups.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for your observations, Andy and Petty. Your comments are encouraging.

Installation won't be a problem, Petty. The saddle slot floor has already been routed to accommodate previous co-axial pickups.

This guitar also has a super-glued passive iBeam in it, so I look forward to experimenting with blending the two pickups.
If it's already routed then I would definitely give it a try. Headway pickups do a remarkable job of picking up quite a bit of the body as well. I can tap on the top of my octave mandolin and the it will get picked up by the pickup. It also doesn't seem to have as much quack as normal UST's.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
If it's already routed then I would definitely give it a try. Headway pickups do a remarkable job of picking up quite a bit of the body as well. I can tap on the top of my octave mandolin and the it will get picked up by the pickup. It also doesn't seem to have as much quack as normal UST's.
I'm an "enthusiastic" strummer at times, so your observation on the quack issue definitely addresses one of my concerns. Thanks again for your observations.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I'm an "enthusiastic" strummer at times, so your observation on the quack issue definitely addresses one of my concerns. Thanks again for your observations.
The quack is definitely less pronounced than on my other pickups .
Martin J40
Old 06-16-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
The quack is definitely less pronounced than on my other pickups .
That's a very reassuring observation. Thanks, Andy.

Although I plan to experiment with blending the two pickups (iBeam and Headway), I usually go with a single pickup in quick setup situations. I'm hoping to like the Headway enough that it'll be the single pickup choice, at least for noisier settings where feedback might become an issue when I crank it up for bare-fingered picking. The observations so far are very encouraging.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Although I plan to experiment with blending the two pickups (iBeam and Headway), I usually go with a single pickup in quick setup situations. I'm hoping to like the Headway enough that it'll be the single pickup choice, at least for noisier settings where feedback might become an issue when I crank it up for bare-fingered picking. The observations so far are very encouraging.
I use this with a Headway EDB 2 preamp which is a serious piece of kit if you're blending signals. Headway prefer you to use an external mic for blending and provide two channels for that with jack plug and XLR inputs. However, a second jack plug will take a stereo signal (two sources) from the guitar (and will also provide phantom power).

I've not used the stereo option yet preferring to mix with an external mic when I can. A very good sound indeed can be had this way!
Martin J40
Old 06-16-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I use this with a Headway EDB 2 preamp which is a serious piece of kit if you're blending signals. Headway prefer you to use an external mic for blending and provide two channels for that with jack plug and XLR inputs. However, a second jack plug will take a stereo signal (two sources) from the guitar (and will also provide phantom power).

I've not used the stereo option yet preferring to mix with an external mic when I can. A very good sound indeed can be had this way!
Thanks again, Andy. This is good information to know. I don't have a blender, so I usually just mix for a nice sounding blend at a strumming level. When I need more gain for bare-fingered picking, I'll just increase the level on whichever pickup is less feedback-prone and more focused in tone. (I presume that would be the Headway pickup.)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks again, Andy. This is good information to know. I don't have a blender, so I usually just mix for a nice sounding blend at a strumming level. When I need more gain for bare-fingered picking, I'll just increase the level on whichever pickup is less feedback-prone and more focused in tone. (I presume that would be the Headway pickup.)
I think for what you are doing a good preamp is a decent investment but then it all costs !!!
Martin J40
Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I think for what you are doing a good preamp is a decent investment but then it all costs !!!
I'm using two individual preamps (Fishman Platinum Pro EQ) for the blending. This allows me to shape the tone of the individual signals, and to reverse the phase of one signal when necessary for a better blend. And of course, a preamp is absolutely necessary to deal with the passive iBeam.

I'm very partial to the Platinum's sweepable midrange EQ. The lack of a sweepable midrange is my greatest concern about the Headway preamps. And yes, the expense is also a big consideration for me. If I hadn't stumbled into a great deal on the HE4, I would have continued struggling along with what I had.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I'm using two individual preamps (Fishman Platinum Pro EQ) for the blending. This allows me to shape the tone of the individual signals, and to reverse the phase of one signal when necessary for a better blend. And of course, a preamp is absolutely necessary to deal with the passive iBeam.

I'm very partial to the Platinum's sweepable midrange EQ. The lack of a sweepable midrange is my greatest concern about the Headway preamps. And yes, the expense is also a big consideration for me. If I hadn't stumbled into a great deal on the HE4, I would have continued struggling along with what I had.
Interesting. The EDB2 has a five band EQ which is very flexible plus you have the notch filter which is good at taking out pickup quack as well as for dealing with feedback. It is a pretty flexible system. Might put together an audio review soon.
Martin J40
Old 06-18-2015, 09:44 AM

I have a Headway HE4 fitting in my Faith Jupitor Jumbo.Great pick, I love it.
Dave
Old 06-18-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
I have a Headway HE4 fitting in my Faith Jupitor Jumbo.Great pick, I love it.
Dave
Thanks for your input, Dave. All the observations so far have been very encouraging. The pickup was shipped on Monday, so hopefully I'll be installing it this weekend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification