The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 AM

I'm not sure that I understand your models. Could you tell us what the "Custom Hybrid Model: Remuda body shape with Concert Model visuals" means?
Also, is the lower bout really just 15 3/4" wide. The guitar looks larger than that to me.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewar Wilson View Post
I'm not sure that I understand your models. Could you tell us what the "Custom Hybrid Model: Remuda body shape with Concert Model visuals" means?
Also, is the lower bout really just 15 3/4" wide. The guitar looks larger than that to me.

Hi Dewar ... yes, the Remuda looks like a larger jumbo in photos but is in fact a very comfortable mid-sized instrument with a 15 3/4" lower bout dimension.

I've included a photo of my models below to illustrate things.

The regular (original) Remuda model is a retro-looking instrument with rope or checkered binding and a large tortoiseshell pickguard ... where the "Remuda Hybrid" is the same body shape, but with a more classic/modern aesthetic.

Hope this helps?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Some more progress photos!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Here's some more progress photos.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM

David - what's that tiny little mold? Ukes? Or trick photography

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 02-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Looks amazing so far.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopman View Post
David - what's that tiny little mold? Ukes? Or trick photography

Hey John ... yep, that's the mold I used 30 years ago to make my daughter a uke when she was in grade 1. Not sure why I've always kept it in the tool trough of my bench ... good luck?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Looks amazing so far.
Hey Juston ... thanks! I very happy with the progress.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 AM

David: Thanks for doing this, super work, super photos and some new ideas for folks. Your so organized it's scary...!! Your plate gluing jig is a new take for me, I use the old traditional ropes and wedges, your unit looks easier to use . Also noticed what I think is a purfling sizer in a couple of photos and it is a new take on an old theme for me, nice idea. And wonder if you would mind telling us what program you use for capturing your modes ? Those look like rare earth magnets on the top(maybe one inside) and I assume they are close to the weight of your bridge. Wonder if you could comment a bit. Thanks again and take care.
Tom
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
David: Thanks for doing this, super work, super photos and some new ideas for folks. Your so organized it's scary...!! Your plate gluing jig is a new take for me, I use the old traditional ropes and wedges, your unit looks easier to use . Also noticed what I think is a purfling sizer in a couple of photos and it is a new take on an old theme for me, nice idea. And wonder if you would mind telling us what program you use for capturing your modes ? Those look like rare earth magnets on the top(maybe one inside) and I assume they are close to the weight of your bridge. Wonder if you could comment a bit. Thanks again and take care.
Tom
Hey Tom ... thanks for the kind words!

That jig for gluing the top and back plates together is what we used to use when I was at Larrivee in the '70s ... but is a bit overkill for the job (I almost get a hernia every time I lift it on the bench!). I use it because it does the job and it's already made, but the rope method looks just as good to me (and lighter!).

Good eye, picking out that purfling thinner ... or as Sergei puts it ... "The Thinner-Downer" ... HA! He likes technical terms! It works.

I'm just using "Audacity", which you probably already are aware of. It seems to do the job fine and is a whole lot nicer than capturing the note in an old Strobotuner like I did in the '70s and '80s!

Yep, those are rare earth magnets and you're right, there's some on the inside too. I'm in the middle of transitioning from using around 30 grams of weight (my bridge, saddle and pin weight) to around 20 grams, which brings the top tap tone up to closer to final spec (the mass brings the tone down but then when the actual bridge is glued on, the added stiffness brings it up a bit).

Thanks for dropping in on my thread!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 PM

David: Thanks for the come back. Yes I was wondering about the added stiffness of the bridge. Your answer put me in the right direction. Thanks again.
Tom
Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Old 02-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Hi Dewar ... yes, the Remuda looks like a larger jumbo in photos but is in fact a very comfortable mid-sized instrument with a 15 3/4" lower bout dimension.

I've included a photo of my models below to illustrate things.

The regular (original) Remuda model is a retro-looking instrument with rope or checkered binding and a large tortoiseshell pickguard ... where the "Remuda Hybrid" is the same body shape, but with a more classic/modern aesthetic.

Hope this helps?

Thank you for clarifying. That small guitar to the very right looks interesting. I can't seem to find it on your website.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewar Wilson View Post
Thank you for clarifying. That small guitar to the very right looks interesting. I can't seem to find it on your website.

Hi Dewar ... that little guitar seems to get a lot of attention for some reason. I'll try to find the time to start another thread on that model, just so we don't hijack this thread that is dedicated to a guitar for Trevor at TAMCO.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop