The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Opinions on Tamarind wood...?

I was wondering if any of the builders or players here have any experience building guitars with Tamarind back and sides, or if you've played a guitar built with it. If so, how does it rate with you, as a tonewood?

I have two sets of it, one set in trade and the other acquired from a very reputable wood dealer via eBay. It's beautiful stuff, with vivid red/orange/brown/tan color and vivid, swirly figure. Looks like 60's psychedelia. I can sure see the appeal, if you want to make a dramatically exotic guitar. Not everybody's cup of tea, but then not everybody drinks tea.

I was unimpressed with the tap tone, if you can even call it that. Thud, thud. Like corrugated cardboard. Maybe it needs a few years of seasoning; maybe it would wake up if a back made with it was braced with some Padouk or Honduran Rosewood.

I'm thinking, if somebody takes a shine to this wood and asks me to make them a guitar with it, maybe I should make it really thin, and make a double back, with a nice Honduran inner. It might also work for a flashy stage guitar with electronics installed. At any rate, if Tamarind lacks a good tonal sauce to add to the flavor of a guitar, maybe it should be built to be primarily reflective, and not acoustically reactive with the top. I've made a couple guitars with thuddy-sounding backs that actually sounded great; but it was almost ALL the top that was doing it. Pau Ferro is often like that.
Anyway, just looking for opinions, if anybody has one. Cheers!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Sorry can't help Steve, It's very pretty, shame it's a thudder though as I know of quite a few big trees of it around here (you never know when they will blow over in a cyclone). Apparently it is classed as a naturalised native here, brought across by the Makassan traders to Arnhem land a long time ago, shame they didn't bring some of those Makassan ebony trees too.

Jim
Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I like the second set, looks like eucalyptus... May make some nice sound hole or headstock trim...
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Mark Hatcher uses it ornamentally to great effect.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I was unimpressed with the tap tone, if you can even call it that. Thud, thud. Like corrugated cardboard. Maybe it needs a few years of seasoning; maybe it would wake up if a back made with it was braced with some Padouk or Honduran Rosewood.

I'm thinking, if somebody takes a shine to this wood and asks me to make them a guitar with it, maybe I should make it really thin, and make a double back, with a nice Honduran inner. It might also work for a flashy stage guitar with electronics installed. At any rate, if Tamarind lacks a good tonal sauce to add to the flavor of a guitar, maybe it should be built to be primarily reflective, and not acoustically reactive with the top. I've made a couple guitars with thuddy-sounding backs that actually sounded great; but it was almost ALL the top that was doing it. Pau Ferro is often like that.
Anyway, just looking for opinions, if anybody has one. Cheers!
Tap Tones can be a weird thing. Some tonewoods have none, eg Quilted Sapele which nonetheless can go on to make some wonderful instruments.

Didn't know Pau Ferro was a 'thuddy sounding back'. When it comes to flamenco guitars, I prefer Pau Ferro to all other rosewoods (even though it isn't one) including ones which are much more expensive!

I came across this description on Mangore about Spalted Tamarind

"Spalted Tamarind is a native wood of tropical Africa; It is also widely planted throughout other tropical regions in South America. It presents itself in a stunning variety of figures that allow the luthier to express himself to the highest levels of artistry. In the sound, you can appreciate the perfect vibrato generated by the first string, the perfectly balanced second and third strings and the supporting bass that creates the perfect background onto which all the other voices shine. You can also admire her expressive power and the stunning the presence of the bass. The looks of this stunning Tonewood are beyond the realm of words. Deep dark brown stripes contrast beautifully with the clear background canvas color that Tamarind offers. A stunning Tonewood."

and here's a video of a classical
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ocfAnWF88
Old 11-26-2013, 01:42 PM

I have a set as well, and similar opinion on the tap tone... thunk. I'll probably brace it up really stiff so it can't move and pair it some some lively cedar or redwood.

EDIT: Might as well add a picture since this stuff is really pretty

Last edited by dekutree64; 11-26-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Default Opinions on Tamarind wood...?

Steve, that wood is useless for guitars. Completely useless. I'll take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. I'll even pay the shipping to help you out......

Seriously though just brace it up stiff and have a reflective back rather than an active one. Them you won't have to worry about the tap tone of it at all.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:28 PM

That second set is ridiculously nice. I'll take a free trial guitar off your hands...
Old 11-26-2013, 03:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
I have a set as well, and similar opinion on the tap tone... thunk. I'll probably brace it up really stiff so it can't move and pair it some some lively cedar or redwood.
That's what I was thinking, sort of. I have some Redwood tops that would sound amazing with plywood underlayment.
I've also braced unresponsive backs with tone-eriffic Padouk before, to very good effect. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Tap Tones can be a weird thing. Some tonewoods have none, eg Quilted Sapele which nonetheless can go on to make some wonderful instruments.

Didn't know Pau Ferro was a 'thuddy sounding back'. When it comes to flamenco guitars, I prefer Pau Ferro to all other rosewoods (even though it isn't one) including ones which are much more expensive!

I came across this description on Mangore about Spalted Tamarind

"Spalted Tamarind is a native wood of tropical Africa; It is also widely planted throughout other tropical regions in South America. It presents itself in a stunning variety of figures that allow the luthier to express himself to the highest levels of artistry. In the sound, you can appreciate the perfect vibrato generated by the first string, the perfectly balanced second and third strings and the supporting bass that creates the perfect background onto which all the other voices shine. You can also admire her expressive power and the stunning the presence of the bass. The looks of this stunning Tonewood are beyond the realm of words. Deep dark brown stripes contrast beautifully with the clear background canvas color that Tamarind offers. A stunning Tonewood."

and here's a video of a classical
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ocfAnWF88
Excellent information! Thanks!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:17 PM

Don't know about the tonewood but I loved eating tamarind fruit when I was a kid.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM

i still love eating it. there isn't any fruit more acid than tamarind!(not even lemons)
Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post

EDIT: Might as well add a picture since this stuff is really pretty
Cool!
I have an insane curly Redwood top that would go nice with it. Check this out:

Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeM View Post
Steve, that wood is useless for guitars. Completely useless. I'll take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. I'll even pay the shipping to help you out......

Seriously though just brace it up stiff and have a reflective back rather than an active one. Them you won't have to worry about the tap tone of it at all.
That's a very kind offer, Zeke, but I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble... Thanks anyway!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:50 PM

Just a somewhat OT question for you builders. Is it OK to use spalted wood - ie that has had a fungal infection - for non-laminated acoustic bodies? I think the looks of some of it is stunning, but I'm wondering about its structural integrity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop