The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant0086 View Post
Hmmm..... I wonder if that black one comes in a gloss finish ?

Bryant
It's not shiny enough for me.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Default Howard's new one

That sounds really good Howard. Awesome!

"Never play a note you don't believe"
Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
HE
Hear my new one here: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
That is a really great sounding collection of songs. I am looking forward to getting a copy.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
That is a really great sounding collection of songs. I am looking forward to getting a copy.
I look forward to filling your order!

HE
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmmusicman View Post
I consider myself pretty much a Ry Cooder fan of the first degree, going back to 1971, and I am unaware of Ry having played a Takamine. I doubt that he would endorse them.
Not that I am all knowing, but I am just saying.

The intent here cannot be anything other than a Ry Cooder model but it seems unauthorized. It would surprise me if he agreed to a signature series. If he would, it would likely be with his first name included and with his actual signature.

Using someone's name or likeness on a brand is a trademark violation, so if Ry did not sanction this, we may well hear about it legally soon enough.

It sure looks like a nice guitar...
Larry Fishman has spoken about Ry using a Takamine in the studio.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohaku View Post
Could it be like gibson & epiphone or fender & squire ?
It said by takamine, i doubt that a well known brand such as takamine would do that without permission

also i'm very interested about that sycamore wood they're using
Maybe this will jog your mind.

If they are anything like the Jasmine line I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmmusicman View Post
I consider myself pretty much a Ry Cooder fan of the first degree, going back to 1971, and I am unaware of Ry having played a Takamine. I doubt that he would endorse them.
Not that I am all knowing, but I am just saying.
As others have pointed out, not only did he perform and record with them, but he was absolutely vital in helping the company design its first original designs and acoustic/electrics.

I've seen him play a Takamine live 3 times, and he still uses one to this day.

http://www.takamineguitars.jp/takami...rs_legend.html

"Takamine's First Acoustic-electric Model
PT-007S
Highly Acclaimed by Ry Cooder

Released in 1979. Takamine's first acoustic-electric model was developed with the help of Ry Cooder. He made tremendous contribution to promoting the Takamine brand in the global music market through his performance."

http://www.acousticguitar.com/articl...articleid=6542

Ry Cooder's Equipment Picks
What He Plays.

By Derk Richardson

•Acoustic Guitars: Early ’90s Takamine jumbo steel-string with stock DSP preamp and bridge pickup.

So, as you can see, Ry Cooder has been pretty closely associated with Takamine for over 30 years! In fact, recently, his friend and collaborator, David Lindley started playing a Takamine TF740FS, and said: "This is the best playing and sounding acoustic guitar I have heard in years".

http://www.takamine.com/artists/arti...ooses_takamine

I know Takamine's aren't made in the US, don't have a collectible appeal, and aren't built with magical woods, but they can build a seriously nice guitar. Heck their handmade Japanese guitars have always used hide glue in the construction of the top and bracing, so you can tell they are trying to build nice sounding instruments. Personally I find their handbuilt guitars, especially the "Tradesman" series to be comparable in tone to many of the boutique guitars I also love, (Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, etc,) and the build quality is easily as nice as a high-end Martin.

As a post-script, Lloyd Baggs and Takamine eventually made peace and in fact, have collaborated together on the Tr-Ax pickup, which Mr. Baggs said was a great experience, and felt like coming full circle.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=g.macdonnell;3166081]As others have pointed out, not only did he perform and record with them, but he was absolutely vital in helping the company design its first original designs and acoustic/electrics.

Ok, thank you for pointing out what others have already pointed. I stand corrected and have lived and learned something new.
Ry played and endorsed a Takamine.
And, you were lucky to see him three times.
Any friend of Ry is a friend of mine, so I won't hold it against you for beating a dead horse.

"Never play a note you don't believe"
Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.macdonnell View Post
As others have pointed out, not only did he perform and record with them, but he was absolutely vital in helping the company design its first original designs and acoustic/electrics.

PT-007S

Released in 1979. Takamine's first acoustic-electric model was developed with the help of Ry Cooder. He made tremendous contribution to promoting the Takamine brand in the global music market through his performance."

What He Plays.

By Derk Richardson

•Acoustic Guitars: Early ’90s Takamine jumbo steel-string with stock DSP preamp and bridge pickup.

So, as you can see, Ry Cooder has been pretty closely associated with Takamine for over 30 years! In fact, recently, his friend and collaborator, David Lindley started playing a Takamine TF740FS, and said: "This is the best playing and sounding acoustic guitar I have heard in years".

I know Takamine's aren't made in the US, don't have a collectible appeal, and aren't built with magical woods, but they can build a seriously nice guitar. Heck their handmade Japanese guitars have always used hide glue in the construction of the top and bracing, so you can tell they are trying to build nice sounding instruments. Personally I find their handbuilt guitars, especially the "Tradesman" series to be comparable in tone to many of the boutique guitars I also love, (Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, etc,) and the build quality is easily as nice as a high-end Martin.

As a post-script, Lloyd Baggs and Takamine eventually made peace and in fact, have collaborated together on the Tr-Ax pickup, which Mr. Baggs said was a great experience, and felt like coming full circle.
Very informative post. Thank you. And, welcome to the forum!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.macdonnell View Post

PT-007S

What He Plays.

By Derk Richardson

As a Takamine owner I thank you for providing this great information.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion