The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-28-2010, 02:12 PM

Default how to use Harmony GX-T for recording?

Firstly, I'm a complete newbie to recording.

I've only done basic 'dry' acoustic and vocal recording directly to Audacity. Nothing more.

I recently bought a Harmony GXT for live performance. However I really like the effects it offers and would love to use it for vocal effects, harmony and EQ for recording purposes.

Only I have no idea how to go about it and there is no explanation in the manual how to use the GXT for that purpose. I contacted customer service and they said its possible but I would need an 'external audio interface' - but, I have no idea what they meant by that and how it would help me use the GXT for recording..

Hence, could somebody enlighten me what they are referring toi and how I should go about it ??

Thanks a lot!

Recording Virgin.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 PM

If you want to run it into a multitrack just use the xlr output on the xt into the channel you want to use. If you are using a computer then you need something like this to interface the output of the xt to the pc.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodStuUX1/

It's easy....
Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 AM

How are you doing the vocal and acoustic guitar recording currently? If you're using a dynamic mic that takes an XLR cable, you can just go out of the outputs of the harmony G XT into wherever you were plugging your mic cable.

Personally, though, I like to record everything dry to separate tracks then deal with the EQ and effects after the fact. It gives you more control and flexibility - since none of that stuff is on the recording, you can do whatever you want, and play with the sound when you're dedicated to listening to it, rather than playing.

As for the harmonies, I wouldn't use the ones from the Harmony G XT in the final mix. They simply don't come across as very natural when recorded direct. I think at lower levels, they sound great live, but for recording, I think the artificialness (if that's a word) comes through.

What I usually do is record the harmony to a separate track, then sing along with the harmony track (with the lead vocal muted) on another track, then drop the robot voice. This is a great way to kind of learn to sing harmonies, I think - something I'm not very good at.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:20 PM

I use a 'Snowball' condenser mike with a USB connection which plugs straight into my laptop. I use the Audacity program or sometimes Garage bank on my wifes Mac.

Would that be enough or would i need to get the external audio interface ?

Also, how would i actually 'hear' the effects as i sing into the microphone ? Would it simply be processed through the PC and come out through the speakers ? (probably dumb question but im really new to recording)

cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
How are you doing the vocal and acoustic guitar recording currently? If you're using a dynamic mic that takes an XLR cable, you can just go out of the outputs of the harmony G XT into wherever you were plugging your mic cable.

Personally, though, I like to record everything dry to separate tracks then deal with the EQ and effects after the fact. It gives you more control and flexibility - since none of that stuff is on the recording, you can do whatever you want, and play with the sound when you're dedicated to listening to it, rather than playing.

As for the harmonies, I wouldn't use the ones from the Harmony G XT in the final mix. They simply don't come across as very natural when recorded direct. I think at lower levels, they sound great live, but for recording, I think the artificialness (if that's a word) comes through.

What I usually do is record the harmony to a separate track, then sing along with the harmony track (with the lead vocal muted) on another track, then drop the robot voice. This is a great way to kind of learn to sing harmonies, I think - something I'm not very good at.
What we do on weekends:
Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 PM

I would suggest that you get a simple audio interface that connects to your computer via usb2 or firewire. These interfaces can get pricey but you can get a decent one with XLR and 1/4 inputs and a headphone jack for about $100. The one I got is made by Echo. These usually come with a software which is probably better than what you have. I have made recordings with the Harmony G XT with this setup successfully. I will send you a link to some youtube stuff I did if you want to check it out.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 PM

Yes, would love a link to your GXT youtube material, thanks a lot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
I would suggest that you get a simple audio interface that connects to your computer via usb2 or firewire. These interfaces can get pricey but you can get a decent one with XLR and 1/4 inputs and a headphone jack for about $100. The one I got is made by Echo. These usually come with a software which is probably better than what you have. I have made recordings with the Harmony G XT with this setup successfully. I will send you a link to some youtube stuff I did if you want to check it out.
What we do on weekends:
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 AM

That looks good, but i dont see a USB connection for a microphone, only xlr input?

I have a Shure SM58 but my wife wanted to use her 'Snowball' condenser mike. See below.

http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
If you want to run it into a multitrack just use the xlr output on the xt into the channel you want to use. If you are using a computer then you need something like this to interface the output of the xt to the pc.

It's easy....
What we do on weekends:
Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
That looks good, but i dont see a USB connection for a microphone, only xlr input?

I have a Shure SM58 but my wife wanted to use her 'Snowball' condenser mike. See below.

http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/
You cannot use the Snowball with the Harmony-G XT. Well, I guess you could, but you'd have to run into your computer then out to the Harmony then back in, gathering some latency in the process.

Really, if you want to do multitrack recording on the computer, it's time to get away from the snowball. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in Blue for not at least building in a headphone out - I'm not sure how you can realistically multitrack without one.

I would recommend getting a separate USB Audio interface as recommended before and sell the snowball.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Tell that to my wife ... she loves that silly snowball mike !

But ive convinced her that if she wants to go dry she can do it with the snowball into garage band.

but if she wants to play around with the gxt then we will buy the audio interface that was recommended earlier and run the SM58 through it.

Now naive question time - if we use the SM58 through the audio interface together with the GXT, am I right to assume that i will hear the gxt processed signal through the headphones as we do a vocal part ?

because i only used the gxt through my amp, in live situations ..

Quote:
You cannot use the Snowball with the Harmony-G XT. Well, I guess you could, but you'd have to run into your computer then out to the Harmony then back in, gathering some latency in the process.

Really, if you want to do multitrack recording on the computer, it's time to get away from the snowball. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in Blue for not at least building in a headphone out - I'm not sure how you can realistically multitrack without one.

I would recommend getting a separate USB Audio interface as recommended before and sell the snowball.
What we do on weekends:
Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Yes, you would hear through the headphone jack on the audio interface. If you get a two channel interface ( I recommend it) you can separate the dry vocal and the harmony vocal onto different tracks. Check your messages, I sent a link to a multitrack recording I did this way.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
Yes, you would hear through the headphone jack on the audio interface. If you get a two channel interface ( I recommend it) you can separate the dry vocal and the harmony vocal onto different tracks. Check your messages, I sent a link to a multitrack recording I did this way.
I personally would HIGHLY advise sending them to different tracks. This allows you to tweak them separately (levels, EQ, effects) after the fact. Typically, I do this, then sing along with the robot harmony, then end up dropping the robot harmony from the mix.

One thing to consider - if you want to record guitar and vocals at the same time on 3 separate tracks (utilizing the guitar thru on the G-XT), you'll need a more advanced (i.e. more expensive) interface. Most of the less expensive ones (and even some of the not-so-inexpensive ones like the apogee duet) cannot record 3 separate tracks at once.

My interface only records 2 tracks at once, so this is my normal process:

1. Record a quick and dirty rhythm guitar track
2. Record a quick and dirty lead vocal track
3. Record the robot harmony on its own track - to do this, I have to play along on the guitar plugged into the XT, but I don't actually record it - it's just so the XT can figure out the harmony.
4. Sing along with the robot harmony on a different track.
5. Go back and record any other instruments I want, including a new rhythm guitar track, if applicable.
6. Go back and record the lead vocal.
7. Mix down dropping the tracks recorded in steps 1,2 and 3.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 AM

Makes a lot of sense Gents.

Do you recommend any two channel audio interface in particular ?

cheers.

Quote:
I personally would HIGHLY advise sending them to different tracks. This allows you to tweak them separately (levels, EQ, effects) after the fact. Typically, I do this, then sing along with the robot harmony, then end up dropping the robot harmony from the mix.

One thing to consider - if you want to record guitar and vocals at the same time on 3 separate tracks (utilizing the guitar thru on the G-XT), you'll need a more advanced (i.e. more expensive) interface. Most of the less expensive ones (and even some of the not-so-inexpensive ones like the apogee duet) cannot record 3 separate tracks at once.

My interface only records 2 tracks at once, so this is my normal process:

1. Record a quick and dirty rhythm guitar track
2. Record a quick and dirty lead vocal track
3. Record the robot harmony on its own track - to do this, I have to play along on the guitar plugged into the XT, but I don't actually record it - it's just so the XT can figure out the harmony.
4. Sing along with the robot harmony on a different track.
5. Go back and record any other instruments I want, including a new rhythm guitar track, if applicable.
6. Go back and record the lead vocal.
7. Mix down dropping the tracks recorded in steps 1,2 and 3.
What we do on weekends:
Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM

I personally use a Yamaha Audiogram 6. I've actually had several other more expensive devices, but I find that this does everything I need, and is super easy to use. It's bus-powered (which means you need no separate power - just plug it into your computer), provides phantom power to 1 channel (should you need it), and is a nice, small mixer-type device that sits on your desk.

Some may poo-poo it because a) It's USB 1.1 and b) it only records at 44.1/16, however, I've found that, for recording 1 or 2 tracks USB 1.1 is actually fine (I have no issues) and as for 44.1/16...well, that's what a CD is, sooo...

I think it may have been discontinued, but you can find them pretty cheap, around $100.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 AM

So i finished up after all the research ordering this baby, as suggested in an earlier reply ...trust it will do the trick, look forward to it !

cheers.
What we do on weekends:
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
So i finished up after all the research ordering this baby, as suggested in an earlier reply ...trust it will do the trick, look forward to it !

cheers.
The biggest drawback I see of that device is that it has no phantom power support, which means you won't be able to use a condenser mic w/ it down the road if you so desire. It'll be fine w/ your SM58, though. You can always get a separate phantom power supply (I think Behringer makes one for around $20) if you need it later on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD