The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-16-2010, 06:05 PM

Default USB 2.0 Audio interface recommendation?

Looking for a SIMPLE interface to run my analog Yamaha MG166cx mixer to my PC to import into Reaper. Thinking something like the Tascam US122mkII or similar. Any recommendations for cheaper/better?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 PM

How many tracks do you need to record at once? If it's only 1 or 2 (like me), your options are limitless.

A couple years ago, I bought an M-Audio fasttrack ultra for recording, and I also bought this little Yamaha AudioGram 6 for portable stuff (I was doing a podcast at the time, and took it on the road, because it was bus-powered and cheap). Since then, I've sold the FastTrack ultra and use the AudioGram 6 for everything. It's like a tiny bus-powered mixer.

Here's the thing - it's only 44.1/16, and it's USB 1.1 and has only phantom power on 1 input. I personally use an external preamp with it, so the phantom is no issue, and I never record more than 2 tracks at once, so that's not an issue.

But as my main computer audio interface, I love it. Zero latency hardware monitoring...a nice little bit of tactile controls at my fingertips. Nice.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Line 6 stuff works great.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 AM

I just bought an RME Fireface UC. It's as simple or as complex as you need it to be. Not cheap - but excellent.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Looking for a SIMPLE interface to run my analog Yamaha MG166cx mixer to my PC to import into Reaper. Thinking something like the Tascam US122mkII or similar. Any recommendations for cheaper/better?
Does your PC have a Line In connector (1/8" stereo jack)? If so, you can connect your mixer to the Line In with a few adapters from Radio Shack.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Ultimately it depends on how much you want to spend and the audio quality you're after! Some suggestions (but there are plenty of others!)...........

I agree with the poster who said that the Line 6 interfaces work well and you get the added benefit of being able to plug your guitar in as well, complete with latency-free amp modelling and effects. I frequently use my old Line 6 Toneport UX1 for inputing stereo line signals into my computer.

Having said that, the Tascam US122 and US144 are also very good and have all the features you're likely to need.

The Emu interfaces are generally reckoned to have better A/D converters and if you don't need 2 mic preamps the Emu 0202 USB may well be all you need.

Amongst the cheaper interfaces, I think the new Focusrite Saffire 6 USB probably has the best audio quality (both the preamps and the converters are of a higher quality than others in the same price range).

Paul
Old 09-14-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchevin View Post

Amongst the cheaper interfaces, I think the new Focusrite Saffire 6 USB probably has the best audio quality (both the preamps and the converters are of a higher quality than others in the same price range).
This is what I have and I agree about the audio quality. Very impressive. It's only USB 1.1, but I'm using it on a 5 yr old HP laptop (1.6ghz Sempron with 1gb of RAM) and I do not experience any latency issues.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD