The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM

Default Opinions of the Martin DR?

I played one a few months ago while visiting with a Martin HD-35 that I was smitten by and was pleased by this modest guitar's tone. It was definitely a Martin with a tone that compared that of its big brothers, but at a fraction of the price.

I know, there are cheaper alternatives out there that may in fact be better in many ways for even less, but lately the thought of that DR has been on my mind. I can't afford that HD-35 and as nice as all those Yamahas, Takamines, Taylors, Breedloves, etc. are, they just don't have that tone.

I also find that durability plays a bigger part than I'd anticipated. I like to keep a guitar on-hand for when inspiration hits but I'm also raising two small and highly energetic boys who show no mercy. My poor Takamine has gone from being a college beater (back in the day) to a living room beater that laughs in the face of the concept of "kid's gloves!" It's taken the "el kabong" many times by the actions of those little hands - who BTW do not tolerate gloves. Ironic, isn't it?

BTW, you might wonder why I wouldn't consider the X series. Well, they don't sound like wooden guitars to me. There's something artificial about the aftertones that I can't put my finger on. OTOH even laminated rosewood has that shimmer - as exhibited by my long-term experience with my all-laminate Takamine with rosewood back & sides and even a couple of run-ins with a newer Taylor 214.

So what are your opinions of this guitar? Is it a workhorse guitar on a budget or is it becoming obsolete in light of the X series and new 1 series? Is it outclassed by its similarly-construction overseas competition? Are there any other options out there that provide a Martin-like tone on a budget?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM

No replies im surprised. I had the DR for almost a year. I liked it not quite the martin tone, i had a D28 a while before it but couldn't afford one again. I tried the x series but was not impressed so negotiated a deal and took the DR home. Nice balancet tone, the treble is more promenant than on the D28 but it has bass aplenty. Small niggle, the satin finish, i managed to leave a shiny bit where my arm rested on the body while playing. Got a good price when i sold it tho. Dare i say it.... I think my Yamaha would compete with it tho.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 AM

I can't speak about the DR, but I own the DM and I think it's a great guitar so I'm pretty sure that the DR would be fine.......Rosewood guitars just don't do it for me, but this bad boy rings out..................

Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Neil,

Sounds like you have the Martin bug to me. On a budget I would look at the new 1 series (all wood top/back/sides) but myself personally I would be looking for used all wood Martins.

Laminates are great for durability but they don't sound like all wood guitars, get the real deal rather than "regrets".

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Neil,

Sounds like you have the Martin bug to me. On a budget I would look at the new 1 series (all wood top/back/sides) but myself personally I would be looking for used all wood Martins.

Laminates are great for durability but they don't sound like all wood guitars, get the real deal rather than "regrets".
...........that's subjective, my DM sounds as good or better than many solid wood Martins I've played and owned..............

Last edited by rlouie; 05-05-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
...........that's subjective, my DM sounds as good or better than many solid wood Martins I've played..............
Louie,

it is subjective, and a great laminate may well sound better than some all wood guitars. But IMO it won't sound as good as a great all wood guitar, that's my expereince and I respect your entitlement to yours, I know you've had some nice Martins.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Louie,

it is subjective, and a great laminate may well sound better than some all wood guitars. But IMO it won't sound as good as a great all wood guitar, that's my expereince and I respect your entitlement to yours, I know you've had some nice Martins.
thanks Rich............sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Louie,

Hey guys. Typical player has the bottom side of the guitar on his lap. The top side is somewhere wrapped by the arm/pit. Then depending on the all around beer consumption, the back solid against the belly.

Does it really matter solid wood back and sides? I think maybe overated on a real use basis.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cubilindo View Post
Hey guys. Typical player has the bottom side of the guitar on his lap. The top side is somewhere wrapped by the arm/pit. Then depending on the all around beer consumption, the back solid against the belly.

Does it really matter solid wood back and sides? I think maybe overated on a real use basis.
Sorry, I have to disagree 100%. Half of my guitars are different Rosewoods and half are Mahogany, they sound nothing alike and I bought them for the differences.

Laminates have a different density and rigidity, that equates to some sonic property differences. The top is the "main course" but the back/sides are the "spices", they have an influence whether laminate, wood or fiberglas/composites.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM

Smile

I respect your opinion. Yet playing two same model guitars (mass production if you will) one can also find a difference between them. Me thinks bracing type and location, along with neck mass have more of an impact. IMHO.

Also you might be a slim guy.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 AM

I prefer solid wood, but there's nothing wrong with a good laminate. I have a Gibson Gospel with laminate mahogany arched back and it sounds as good as or better than many higher end Gibsons,Martins, and Taylors.

With that said, the DR is a very good guitar, and if you really like the sound go ahead and buy it. For the price range, you might could find a used Stanford that would be an even better guitar, but they don't show up that often.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I respect your opinion. Yet playing two same model guitars (mass production if you will) one can also find a difference between them. Me thinks bracing type and location, along with neck mass have more of an impact. IMHO.

Also you might be a slim guy.
I don't disagree, bracing makes a huge difference and is more important but that's not my point. Whatever amount the back/sides contribute to the total sound they contribute "something", or my identical Martin dreads, except for one being Mahogany and another Madagascar, would sound the same.

To my ears laminates are a little "off" the all wood sound, as are Ovations and composite guitars, people can prefer what they will.

And sadly I'm no longer "slim", take care.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM

Default DR too boomy?

When I bought my DM (and another one for my sister) I always also tried a few DR's, and I felt that when strumming, the trebles were lacking on the DR much more than on the DM, which to me sounded much more balanced when strummed. It is different when you fingerpick, but I guess you would use the dreadnought more for strumming. Also, I think that the price difference is not justified AT ALL, given it is only a laminate.

With all the experience from solid wood guitars I bought later, I would generally support the view that they are superior, and in particular the sustain of the tone is what makes the difference to me.

Having said that, I have my DM out of the box standing around at home all the time, which makes me use it a lot, the kids love to take it and I would probably buy it again (although now: I would probably get a 1 series

A HOG 1series

Hope that helps

Karl
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I respect your opinion. Yet playing two same model guitars (mass production if you will) one can also find a difference between them.
Absolutely. I have two Tacoma mahogany dreads of the same model. One was built in '01 and the other was built in '02. Very different voices (and great voices at that) and they're even noticably different in weight. I took a chance on the newer one and bought it without playing it first (only guitar I've ever bought that way). I'd have bought it anyway if I HAD played it first, so I wasn't disappointed, but I must admit that the very noticeable difference in the newer one's voice really took me by surprise.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cubilindo
I respect your opinion. Yet playing two same model guitars (mass production if you will) one can also find a difference between them.

Agreed again, I picked my 000-28EC out of a half dozen, it is the nature of wood that same models will have variations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion