The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
Actually mate I have to disagree with you there. That photo of the bridge is how I brought the guitar. I knew it didn't look right but wanted to confirm it on here before I adjusted it. Since then I've checked the neck, checked and set intonation and adjusted the pick up height going on advice from here and YouTube videos. It was all fairly close to being setup correctly anyway.

So all in all I think I've done a great job.

Anyone who's comfortable with precision tools should have no problem setting up their own guitars. Nobody can set up your guitar for your playing better than yourself. Good job digging in and learning, but word of caution, you can develop a case of GAS for older abandoned instruments now!
Old 07-26-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Anyone who's comfortable with precision tools should have no problem setting up their own guitars. Nobody can set up your guitar for your playing better than yourself. Good job digging in and learning, but word of caution, you can develop a case of GAS for older abandoned instruments now!
Okay I thought about this all day and cannot find an answer. So I'm going to ask, Whats GAS?? lol
Old 07-26-2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Okay I thought about this all day and cannot find an answer. So I'm going to ask, Whats GAS?? lol

Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome. [emoji23]
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM

I've been doing guitar repairs for 25 years now and I can assure you that some people are much better off having a pro setup rather then a DIY. A lot of times I will even get people in who have been doing it all their lives under the impression that nobody can do it better then themselves and they are quite surprised when their guitar comes back in the best playing condition they have ever seen.

On the other hand it's true that it's not terribly complicated, some just plain and simply don't get it. If anything having a real good setup to start is a good metric for anything you want to DIY in the future.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I've been doing guitar repairs for 25 years now and I can assure you that some people are much better off having a pro setup rather then a DIY. A lot of times I will even get people in who have been doing it all their lives under the impression that nobody can do it better then themselves and they are quite surprised when their guitar comes back in the best playing condition they have ever seen.

On the other hand it's true that it's not terribly complicated, some just plain and simply don't get it. If anything having a real good setup to start is a good metric for anything you want to DIY in the future.
Certainly true, I guess the question for the OP is whether ir not the cost of a pro setup is well-spent on a $99 Squier which he said was just for knocking around on. Under other circumstances, I'd have suggested paying for a "baseline" setup too.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome. [emoji23]
Yeah well I think it's too late for that. Every Saturday I say to the missus. 'Do you want to come with me to the music store?" She says no it's boring so I go on my own and come back with another gadget..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Certainly true, I guess the question for the OP is whether ir not the cost of a pro setup is well-spent on a $99 Squier which he said was just for knocking around on. Under other circumstances, I'd have suggested paying for a "baseline" setup too.
That's exactly right. At this stage it's just to hack around on. One day I hope to get someone who knows what they're doing look at it and see if they think it sounds okay etc. An old work mate of mine plays so I might get him have a look at it one day.
Eventually I will progress to another more expensive and better quality guitar and will get this one setup professionally like I did my acoustic.
But from what I've seen of this one so far I think it has already been setup as it wasn't far off with most of the settings anyway.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah well I think it's too late for that. Every Saturday I say to the missus. 'Do you want to come with me to the music store?" She says no it's boring so I go on my own and come back with another gadget..lol

That's exactly right. At this stage it's just to hack around on. One day I hope to get someone who knows what they're doing look at it and see if they think it sounds okay etc. An old work mate of mine plays so I might get him have a look at it one day.

Eventually I will progress to another more expensive and better quality guitar and will get this one setup professionally like I did my acoustic.

But from what I've seen of this one so far I think it has already been setup as it wasn't far off with most of the settings anyway.

Usually when you buy a decent instrument (l'd say at least $500), they already have a good setup right at the factory or the store might offer one for free. Ymmv.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars