The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 PM

Default sound volume on recordings

I am using a samson gtrack microphone and sonar le 4 software to record, but cant seem to get enough volume from finished recording. Volume on track in sonar is fine, but once I export it as a WMA, the volume is much lower. I have turned up everything I can find from guitar, tracks, master, but no joy on finished product.
Any ideas?

regards
Finbarr
Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Guitar Gourmet

There are three forces at work here: reference zero, normalization, and dynamics.

Reference zero: Believe it or not there is no single output standard from editing programs. That means full volume on your meters within your program can yield a final output at a much lower level. You need to learn your software and find out its zero reference level.
Normalization: Once a program outputs a file at its level, there may be headroom available. You can often normalize the the file in another program or modify the settings within your own program to bring it up significantly.
Dynamics: Professionally recorded material is usually level managed and then mastered to gain even more level by means of managing the transient material in the program. While it can be overdone and the results can be unpleasant, if you are comparing your home recordings to a professional recording, you may never be able to equal their levels without some dynamic management. There is stuff you can do at home if you have the tools and knowledge, but it'll want some study.

Good luck and have fun!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

The wav files play fine but the wma files are quiet? Are you converting your files correctly, using a 5.1 surround instead of a two channel stereo for example? Check your conversion settings. Try converting to another format or with another software program and see what happens.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks for replies guys

Bob I'm new to this and if I'm honest, I did not really understand a single thing you said!! But I vaguely comprehend what you mean by zero reference and will see if I can find out this tomorrow. I also vaguely recall a setting on windows media player which evens out the volume on files, and this I take to be what you mean by normalisation.

Rick, that is spot on, wav file volume fine, wma very quiet. I had not thought of using a different software to do the job and see if problem remained. I'm getting sonar to convert the file and will try something else. I cant remember if there was a setting with regard to 5.1 surround or not, but I would have set at 2 channel stereo if asked, as this is what I have on computer.

I will try out these suggestion when I am at home tommorrow

with thanks
Finbarr
Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Hi,
do you have any plugs on the master ch ? (2 bus)

jim
Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 AM

Dark... I had the same issues when using Sonar and doing my final conversions. I solved MOST of the prob by making sure on my individual tracks output to the master bus and then get my master bus sounding good and then exporting the masterbus. Sometimes after converting it to mp3, wav, etc the mix isnt the same and I have to re-mix and re-export. I find setting all levels a little higher than you would think within Sonar before exporting usually helps with the final version.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 AM

Great metering equipment is expensive and probably not a wise investment for most home project environments. Understanding metering however only cost the time invested to read up on why things (sonically and dB wise) are they way they are these days.

Try reading Bob Katz discussions on varies dB scales and how they relate to older analog standards. That in and of itself will lead to further discussions on mastering compression and bit-depth maximizing and all those discussions will lead to tools you already have in your software to correct the volume problems your experiencing.

It's a great, no cost improvement to your home recordings.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 AM

To "clarify":

Analog recording which kinda,sorta, had recording chain volume levels figured out was replaced by a new, but totally different scheme which may or may not have been figured out kinda, sorta - maybe.

BTW - There are some interesting parallels with other "clean-slate" redesigns such as HD video.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD