The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2007, 06:07 PM

Default No it's not your imagination...

Well, I guess my age is going to show now, but I am approaching fifty years at the guitar. The music has changed more in the past ten years than it did for the previous forty or so. Guitars are more versatile, louder, play better and are just plain beautiful. It is delightful if you ask me. I just wished I could keep up with all of the trends.

I was being a store lizard yesterday. I played a Seagull S6 that absolutely knocked my socks off. It was under five big ones, even with a decent case.
Cedar top. When I think of what I have here at home and at school...

Yikes.
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop
Ibanez AF200 Archtop (Japanese Made)
John Webb Hand carved 17 inch Archtop Astoria Model

Author: "How to Play Guitar In One Easy Lesson...
If the Lesson Lasts Fifty Years"[/I]
Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantgsc View Post
Well, I guess my age is going to show now, but I am approaching fifty years at the guitar. The music has changed more in the past ten years than it did for the previous forty or so. Guitars are more versatile, louder, play better and are just plain beautiful. It is delightful if you ask me. I just wished I could keep up with all of the trends.

I was being a store lizard yesterday. I played a Seagull S6 that absolutely knocked my socks off. It was under five big ones, even with a decent case.
Cedar top. When I think of what I have here at home and at school...

Yikes.
...50+..... .....keep on pickin', Bro!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:31 AM

Definitely, as said in other posts, it is the nature of the information age and having many new forums or channels to share thoughts and ideas that never existed before.

Also, the guitar industry is somewhat unique. As stated before, we are in the golden age of guitar making. Guitar makers give us a lot to talk about. Many other things made today aren't the quality of what was built 50 years ago. Many manufactured items don't hold up to the old days...the way they used to washing machines, dryers, virtually all old furniture, stuff that was just built well.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Maker of Expensive Noise

I would agree that I am probably too demanding of a guitar..... However, if I am going to plunk down a big chunk of money for a new (or new to me) guitar, I want to feel like I really got what I paid for. The more money... the more I expect!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin-EC1 View Post
I would agree that I am probably too demanding of a guitar..... However, if I am going to plunk down a big chunk of money for a new (or new to me) guitar, I want to feel like I really got what I paid for. The more money... the more I expect!!!
I think that is reasonable. I think we have more money now, as a group, as a whole, too. That tends to better access, more demands and better products to meet those demands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion